Need advice for which CPU to go w/ for this certain build?

Trance183

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
i'll try to make this short. this build is for a small business to store inventory and files and surf the net. what i mean is i'm building a system for my parents because they have tons of papers laying everywhere. drives me nuts when they need to pull out a file or invoice for a certain customer. so what kind of CPU should i use for this build. workstation? or desktop?. i was also looking forward to using the new Woodcrest or Conroe. i know storing files doesn't need a monster CPU, but of course pulling up multiple files and running multiple apps will benefit from dual core and speed. any advice will help alot. thanks alot.

P.S. I don't really get the whole Workstation vs Desktop?

Trance183

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
thanks, thats true, but if my parents want a fast system, and the money is coming from the business, then why not juice it up? lol. also do u guys know of a good program that does this inventory and file storing kind of thing. u know, like ur local store who can pull up ur file and tell u exactly what u have bought in the past, and how much u have spent. and ur last home address and phone number. like my local circuit city or best buy or similar.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Well, I'm gonna give you some advice that I wouldn't normally give anyone. Paperwork computers don't need much power at all. Even a program to sort out thousands of invoices, orders and such doesn't have to be a powerhouse. So here it goes.

Get a Dell.

Please don't flame me too hard. I'm a fragile, fragile man.

the program you're looking for idk about.... someone else will probably come along with a suggestion though. If you want to juice it up a bit... you could always go for a pentium D 930... or double the ram.... but honestly... sdrawk is right.... computers being used for what you want for the business really don't need alot of power... I wouldn't lower myself to getting a Dell, but you really don't need high end parts.

Edit: btw trace... I saw your second post on this topic on another part of the forum.... people don't like it when you double post.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
The only reason I said to get a Dell is because in my opinion Trance needs a very low-end system to handle his tasks. In my experience, low-end is the niche that you can actually save money by buying pre-built. Once you factor in the OS, monitor, printer and other peripherals involved in trying to build a basic PC yourself, it's almost impossible to beat the value of a Dell or eMachines comp.

Trance183

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
yeah, well this was just concerning the CPU, the other post is concerning all parts. so "Please don't flame me too hard. I'm a fragile, fragile man." (sdrawk) lol. thanks again though.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
He's right. A Dell would do just fine. I'm guessing you're looking to get rid of all this paperwork, so you need a PC that's guaranteed to work and one that you could take out a warrenty for.

It does make sense.