mobbin01

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Before I hook up the power switch from my case to the mother board, I would like to make sure I am going ground to ground and hot to hot. The instructions from my case are not clear on which it hot, but I am assuming the colored wire is hot and the white is not. Also on the back of the tiny power switch is a indented downward triangle, Has anyone seen this on the back of their tiny power switches? So they know what this signifies?

Thanks in advance to any replies!

linux_0

Splendid
Before I hook up the power switch from my case to the mother board, I would like to make sure I am going ground to ground and hot to hot. The instructions from my case are not clear on which it hot, but I am assuming the colored wire is hot and the white is not. Also on the back of the tiny power switch is a indented downward triangle, Has anyone seen this on the back of their tiny power switches? So they know what this signifies?

Thanks in advance to any replies!

Check your motherboard manual.

Normally BLK = GND

Other colors = +?V

firepyro555

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think your talking about the front side panel, its a little plug that has 2 wires, and should say something like, PS SW, RESET SW, HDDLED, PW_LED.

If it is something like that. then it doesn't matter.

for the switch, all your doing is creating a closed circuit long enough to send a "power on " signal to the PSU.

Your just connecting 2 points, there is no prefference of the motherboard into which pin the GND connects to

linux_0

Splendid
I think your talking about the front side panel, its a little plug that has 2 wires, and should say something like, PS SW, RESET SW, HDDLED, PW_LED.

If it is something like that. then it doesn't matter.

for the switch, all your doing is creating a closed circuit long enough to send a "power on " signal to the PSU.

Your just connecting 2 points, there is no prefference of the motherboard into which pin the GND connects to

The LEDs and SPK are obviously polarized but PWR ON SW and RST SW do not matter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Would you like to hear something funny? I've been building for 9 years and every time I instal a board I just hook them up. If they lights don't work, I flip them over. No harm done.

linux_0

Splendid
Would you like to hear something funny? I've been building for 9 years and every time I instal a board I just hook them up. If they lights don't work, I flip them over. No harm done.

Indeed :-D

As long as you don't over-volt them LEDs will keep working.

If you hook them up right they work, if you hook them up backwards they don't work but no harm done.

:-D

If the switch doesn't work, then just flip it over...

Like CrashMan said...

I've done the same thing...on some boards the printed lettering on the connector faced into the board, on others the lettering faced out...it only works one way, and if it doesn't just change it...

Good luck!