small business looking for decent printer suggestions

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hello:

The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold down
costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
than $1000 US?

Thank you,
John Burlington
11 answers Last reply
More about small business decent printer suggestions
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    If you are looking for an All-In-One type machine I would suggest staying
    away from them. If the copier function of your printer/copier/scanner/fax
    machine goes out, that effectively renders the machine useless while it is
    being repaired at the shop. We use a Canon PC981 copier and an old (very
    old) HP LaserJet Series II printer. Both work perfectly. The Canon is fast
    and easy to use and the HP is built like a battleship. If I were looking
    for a new printer and copier I would consider machines from HP, Epson and
    Canon.

    "John Burlington" <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote in message
    news:jFIVd.370$CW2.275@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Hello:
    >
    > The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    > between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    down
    > costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    > than $1000 US?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > John Burlington
    >
    >
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <jFIVd.370$CW2.275@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    John Burlington <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote:
    >Hello:
    >
    >The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    >between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold down
    >costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    >than $1000 US?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >John Burlington
    >
    >


    Get the best HP printer that fits your need for $900, spend
    $50 on a USB flat bed scanner similar to my Canon LIDE-30
    and have lunch with the change.
    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <zaadnYo63Of4xbrfRVn-uw@uci.net>,
    Kevin <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote:
    >If you are looking for an All-In-One type machine I would suggest staying
    >away from them. If the copier function of your printer/copier/scanner/fax
    >machine goes out, that effectively renders the machine useless while it is
    >being repaired at the shop. We use a Canon PC981 copier and an old (very
    >old) HP LaserJet Series II printer. Both work perfectly. The Canon is fast
    >and easy to use and the HP is built like a battleship. If I were looking
    >for a new printer and copier I would consider machines from HP, Epson and
    >Canon.
    >
    >"John Burlington" <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote in message
    >news:jFIVd.370$CW2.275@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    >> between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    >down
    >> costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    >> than $1000 US?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> John Burlington
    >>
    >>
    >
    >


    I agree. Stay away from multi-function machines in general and
    especially if fast reliable printing is critical. Get the best
    printer you can justify. Plan on sharing it on a network. If the
    printer you like has a network interface option I suggest you get it.

    After you have your printing set up look at your scanning, copying and
    faxing requirements; FAXs can be sent directly from Windows and
    received via services like efax.com so if that meets your requirements
    you don't need to buy any gadgets.

    If you need to fax the occasional paper document you can keep an old
    landline fax machine around on a phone line or use teh software that
    comes with any cheap flatbet scanner.

    USB scanners (I like the Canon LIDE-30 for under $50) come with
    SCAN-to-file and SCAN-to-laser printer (BW or color) software that
    meet my needs just fine.

    If you need high speed scanning with batch input autofeeders get one
    that best fits your needs. You can always program it to print to a
    network printer via software.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    While I agree to some aspects of the previous replies,it really depends on
    WHAT is most important.Is the copier you are mainly interested in? If
    so,than a $50 or even a $500 USB scanner is not the answer!Chek ebay for
    used copiers.There are some real nice units for under $1000.Then.if you need
    a printer they are easy to find.I sure would hate to try to do much copying
    with a $50 scanner!!! I do not see you even mentioning a fax,or an
    all-in-one.So ,I think it sounds like you want a copier.
    "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
    news:d07m5g$o0g$1@panix5.panix.com...
    > In article <jFIVd.370$CW2.275@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > John Burlington <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote:
    >>Hello:
    >>
    >>The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    >>between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    >>down
    >>costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    >>than $1000 US?
    >>
    >>Thank you,
    >>John Burlington
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
    > Get the best HP printer that fits your need for $900, spend
    > $50 on a USB flat bed scanner similar to my Canon LIDE-30
    > and have lunch with the change.
    > --
    >
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    John Burlington wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    > between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold down
    > costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    > than $1000 US?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > John Burlington
    >
    >

    THe HP LaserJet 4100MFP is near the end of it's life and you should be
    able to get GREAT deals. It has all the features of a standard HP
    LaserJet but using it's colour scanner has a copier function, will scan
    as PDF direct to e-mail and will scan to fax, all as standard.

    If you can go a bit higher then look at the new LaserJet 4345MFP which
    has lots of finishing options like stakers, sorters and staplers too.

    Get rid of your leased copier and go all in one. The LaserJet range are
    built like tanks and are ultra reliable.

    --
    Mushroom
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Hi Douglas,

    Maybe I should have been more specific.... We don't need fax, just a copier.
    We have a rather poor printer that could use an upgrade, but not really
    necessary at this time. So, yes, a decent b&w copier only.

    Thanks,
    John

    "Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:meKdnRY5GYut6brfRVn-gA@centurytel.net...
    > While I agree to some aspects of the previous replies,it really depends on
    > WHAT is most important.Is the copier you are mainly interested in? If
    > so,than a $50 or even a $500 USB scanner is not the answer!Chek ebay for
    > used copiers.There are some real nice units for under $1000.Then.if you
    need
    > a printer they are easy to find.I sure would hate to try to do much
    copying
    > with a $50 scanner!!! I do not see you even mentioning a fax,or an
    > all-in-one.So ,I think it sounds like you want a copier.
    > "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
    > news:d07m5g$o0g$1@panix5.panix.com...
    > > In article <jFIVd.370$CW2.275@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > > John Burlington <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote:
    > >>Hello:
    > >>
    > >>The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    > >>between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    > >>down
    > >>costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for
    less
    > >>than $1000 US?
    > >>
    > >>Thank you,
    > >>John Burlington
    > >>
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    > > Get the best HP printer that fits your need for $900, spend
    > > $50 on a USB flat bed scanner similar to my Canon LIDE-30
    > > and have lunch with the change.
    > > --
    > >
    > > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    > >
    > > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    With your volumes, the key issue is cost per page. With most LaserJets, and
    normal (5%) ink coverage, you are looking at 3 cents per page for toner
    cartridges. If you go with a more expensive multi-function unit that is
    sold by copier people, you should be able to get a full service contract
    including toner for 1 - 1.5 cents per page regardless of toner coverage.

    You need to do the math, but with 1,000 ppw, the toner costs quickly dwarf
    the up front cost of the printer/copier.

    Mike Schumann

    "John Burlington" <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote in message
    news:jFIVd.370$CW2.275@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Hello:
    >
    > The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    > between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    > down
    > costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    > than $1000 US?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > John Burlington
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    John Burlington <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote:
    > Hi Douglas,
    >
    > Maybe I should have been more specific.... We don't need fax, just a copier.
    > We have a rather poor printer that could use an upgrade, but not really
    > necessary at this time. So, yes, a decent b&w copier only.
    >
    If you hunt around I think you'll find there are some copier/printers
    (Samsung, Kypcera?) which are basically small copiers with a PC
    printer interface. These could well be what you want.

    I agree with those who have said a scanner is *not* a good solution to
    use as a copier. It's a real drag if you are copying more than a
    couple of sheets.

    I've just bought an HP7310 All-in-One which (after a significant
    amount of hassle with the software) I'm happy with. However it's not
    up the to sort of speed that the OP wants.

    --
    Chris Green
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "John Burlington" <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote ...
    > Hello:
    > The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    > between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    down
    > costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    > than $1000 US?
    > Thank you,
    > John Burlington

    Copier ratings at J.D. Power:
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/electronics/jdpa_ratings/copier/Find.jsp
    HP, Imagistics, and Toshiba were rated best in Overall Ownership Experience.
    About finding a 30-40 ppm copier for less than $1000, that might be
    difficult.
    If you buy a used copier, I suggest getting a service contract.
    Leasing is an option.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <IE_Vd.8580$2s.5080@lakeread06>, John Q <nospam@notmail.com> wrote:
    >"John Burlington" <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote ...
    >> Hello:
    >> The company I work for is seeking a printer/ copier capable of printing
    >> between 30-40 ppm and perhaps up to 1000 ppw (pages per week). To hold
    >down
    >> costs, we only need b&w. Can someone suggest something reliable for less
    >> than $1000 US?
    >> Thank you,
    >> John Burlington
    >
    >Copier ratings at J.D. Power:
    >http://www.jdpower.com/cc/electronics/jdpa_ratings/copier/Find.jsp
    >HP, Imagistics, and Toshiba were rated best in Overall Ownership Experience.
    >About finding a 30-40 ppm copier for less than $1000, that might be
    >difficult.
    >If you buy a used copier, I suggest getting a service contract.
    >Leasing is an option.
    >
    >
    >


    If you own a 40ppm printer (not cheap) you can buy an auto-doc-feed
    scanner at a wide range of prices depending on speed and features. HP
    has a range of products up to 25ppm:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2AC22A9A

    I expect that the HP software that comes with the scanner will
    turn it into a copier.

    (if this link doesn;t work go to hp.com and look at business
    scanners.)

    The advantage of purchasing seperate products is that you get pick
    size and features that meet your needs, spread the cost, and if one
    machine has a problem the other isn't broken.

    If you find a BIG business-grade copier that has a printer interface
    and the cost per page is OK, I'd go with it, also, but get a
    maintenance agreement.

    HP sells multi-year service agreements which I recommend. If you
    lease, get a service agreement that matches the lease lifetime.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    While expensive and not sold all over, Epson makes an auto sheet feeder
    to the 3270 and 4180 flatbed scanners enabling you to feed multiple
    sheets automatically.

    usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote:

    >John Burlington <burw345gt@ex.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi Douglas,
    >>
    >>Maybe I should have been more specific.... We don't need fax, just a copier.
    >>We have a rather poor printer that could use an upgrade, but not really
    >>necessary at this time. So, yes, a decent b&w copier only.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >If you hunt around I think you'll find there are some copier/printers
    >(Samsung, Kypcera?) which are basically small copiers with a PC
    >printer interface. These could well be what you want.
    >
    >I agree with those who have said a scanner is *not* a good solution to
    >use as a copier. It's a real drag if you are copying more than a
    >couple of sheets.
    >
    >I've just bought an HP7310 All-in-One which (after a significant
    >amount of hassle with the software) I'm happy with. However it's not
    >up the to sort of speed that the OP wants.
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Peripherals