Changing registered user

I bought this hp laptop used fro the original owner and I have downloaded
info to microsoft ,and have since updated with no problem I have never used
xp before and I wanted to change in system where it shows registered user to
my name any help. I have all the disk and papers.
Ray

sportingrh wrote:
> I bought this hp laptop used fro the original owner and I have
> downloaded info to microsoft ,and have since updated with no problem
> I have never used xp before and I wanted to change in system where
> it
> shows registered user to my name any help. I have all the disk and
> papers.
> Ray

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, some read it only
during installation, and some don't read it al all.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Hi sportingrh,

Follow the instructions in this MSKB article (How to Change Name and Company
Information After You Install Windows XP):

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"sportingrh" <sportingrh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought this hp laptop used fro the original owner and I have downloaded
> info to microsoft ,and have since updated with no problem I have never
used
> xp before and I wanted to change in system where it shows registered user
> my name any help. I have all the disk and papers.
> Ray

peter

Weird...I don't have that item in my registry.....?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> sportingrh wrote:
>> I bought this hp laptop used fro the original owner and I have
>> downloaded info to microsoft ,and have since updated with no problem
>> I have never used xp before and I wanted to change in system where it
>> shows registered user to my name any help. I have all the disk and
>> papers.
>> Ray
>

> To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
> use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
>
> and:
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> Version\RegisteredOrganization
>
> How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
> applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some read
> the registered owner information dynamically, some read it only during
> installation, and some don't read it al all.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Hi Peter,

When you navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion does
RegisteredOwner not appear in the right-hand pane?

Regards,

--

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> Weird...I don't have that item in my registry.....?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> > sportingrh wrote:
> >> I bought this hp laptop used fro the original owner and I have
> >> downloaded info to microsoft ,and have since updated with no problem
> >> I have never used xp before and I wanted to change in system where it
> >> shows registered user to my name any help. I have all the disk and
> >> papers.
> >> Ray
> >

> > To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
> > use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
> >
> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
> >
> > and:
> >
> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> > Version\RegisteredOrganization
> >
> > How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
> > applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some read
> > the registered owner information dynamically, some read it only during
> > installation, and some don't read it al all.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

peter

By the way, excuse me butting in on the thread, but I try to read as many as
possible to learn whatever!
No there is no registered owner showing in there. I even went in to safe
mode as administrator and nothing there either. Would it have something to
do with this installation of XP SP2 is from my slipstreamed CD? Although I
doubt that is the case. When I reinstalled the other day, I went through
all the usual steps, naming the PC, entering user names, and registering
with MS.

--
"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> When you navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> does
> RegisteredOwner not appear in the right-hand pane?
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> Weird...I don't have that item in my registry.....?
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> Windows XP Home SP2.
>> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can
>> > use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:
>> >
>> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner
>> >
>> > and:
>> >
>> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
>> > Version\RegisteredOrganization
>> >
>> > How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
>> > applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
>> > read
>> > the registered owner information dynamically, some read it only during
>> > installation, and some don't read it al all.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Bruce Chambers
>> >
>> > Help us help you:
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >
>> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> > both at once. - RAH

peter

BIG APOLOGY.... I was looking for a sub heading underneath current version
"Registered Owner".....if I click on "Current Version"....yes it's
there!!!!! DUH ;-)

--
> By the way, excuse me butting in on the thread, but I try to read as many
> as possible to learn whatever!
> No there is no registered owner showing in there. I even went in to safe
> mode as administrator and nothing there either. Would it have something
> to do with this installation of XP SP2 is from my slipstreamed CD?
> Although I doubt that is the case. When I reinstalled the other day, I
> went through all the usual steps, naming the PC, entering user names, and
> registering with MS.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> When you navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
>> does
>> RegisteredOwner not appear in the right-hand pane?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Patti MacLeod
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>>> Weird...I don't have that item in my registry.....?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter.
>>> Toronto, Canada.
>>> Windows XP Home SP2.
>>> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
>>> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message

LOL!! No problem, Peter. I'm glad that you were able to locate it.

Regards,

--

> BIG APOLOGY.... I was looking for a sub heading underneath current version
> "Registered Owner".....if I click on "Current Version"....yes it's
> there!!!!! DUH ;-)
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> > By the way, excuse me butting in on the thread, but I try to read as
many
> > as possible to learn whatever!
> > No there is no registered owner showing in there. I even went in to
safe
> > mode as administrator and nothing there either. Would it have something
> > to do with this installation of XP SP2 is from my slipstreamed CD?
> > Although I doubt that is the case. When I reinstalled the other day, I
> > went through all the usual steps, naming the PC, entering user names,
and
> > registering with MS.
> >
> > --
> > Peter.
> > Toronto, Canada.
> > Windows XP Home SP2.
> > P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> > "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> When you navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
> >> does
> >> RegisteredOwner not appear in the right-hand pane?
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Patti MacLeod
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message

Knowledge Base

How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows XPPSS
ID Number: 310441

Article Last Modified on 6/11/2002

a.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
b.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

This article discusses an undocumented and unsupported command-line
parameter. Microsoft does not support or encourage the use of this parameter
and provides this article as information only. Use this parameter at your
own risk.
SUMMARY
This article discusses how to change your name and company information after
you install Microsoft Windows XP.
MORE INFORMATION
When you install Windows, Setup requests that you enter your name, and
optionally, the organization name. This registration information is
displayed under Registered to in the General tab of System when you click
Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then
click System.

To change your name and company information after Windows is installed on
your computer, follow these steps:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1.. Click Start, and then click Run.
2.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3.. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

4.. To change the company name, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data,
type the name that you want, and then click OK.
5.. To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type
the name that you want, and then click OK.
6.. Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.