Sign in with
Your question

Samsung to produce 50 million OLEDs by 2008...so why HDTV ;)

Last response: in Components
May 20, 2006 10:14:45 PM

Read this all you HDTV/LCD fans that cant get enough.
OLED is cheaper/better/and is not far away anymore. See links and find out what you will be missing >>> http://www.idtechex.com/products/en/articles/00000352.a...
http://www.universaldisplay.com/tech.htm

So please stop talking about HDTV as it will be worthless by the time these baby's come to shine. :D  I'll save my money that's for sure as CRT still ownz LCD in higher fps/not 2d though.
May 20, 2006 11:12:32 PM

HDTV will never be worthless, so stop being an idiot. We've been hearing about OLEDs for years and they still aren't here. So you just keep sitting there with your eye-straining CRT, I'll be over here enjoying my extra entertainment center/desk space. Oh yes, and good luck getting HD movies to play on that tv of yours after your HD player cripples the resolution.
May 20, 2006 11:20:35 PM

I don't find my 100hertz CRT TV eye straining :/ 
May 20, 2006 11:23:47 PM

Quote:
HDTV will never be worthless, so stop being an idiot. We've been hearing about OLEDs for years and they still aren't here. So you just keep sitting there with your eye-straining CRT, I'll be over here enjoying my extra entertainment center/desk space. Oh yes, and good luck getting HD movies to play on that tv of yours after your HD player cripples the resolution.

Worthless is a big word I agree but the idea that 2008 is not far away is the only thing I mentioning atm so chill down a bit and put some music on instead of going wild about nothing. Hard for you to understand maybe? :D  BTW, how expensive was your buy? And my TV? lol....you dont even know what TV I have so keep talking. ;)  Let's just stick to the point. 2008 is not far away so would it be wise to spend a lot of money for a HDTV at this moment....
May 20, 2006 11:29:22 PM

Too be more precise...... CRT does not leave trails in fast moving pictures compared to LCD so I totally agree with you. There is nothing more irritating than that.
May 20, 2006 11:38:16 PM

Quote:
Too be more precise...... CRT does not leave trails in fast moving pictures compared to LCD so I totally agree with you. There is nothing more irritating than that.

Actually, yes there is. Seeing as a half-decent LCD does not suffer from smearing anyway, what is more irritating is a CRT that takes up half a room if you want a screen size higher than 20" and requires a small power station to keep it running.
May 21, 2006 12:15:19 AM

Quote:

Actually, yes there is. Seeing as a half-decent LCD does not suffer from smearing anyway, what is more irritating is a CRT that takes up half a room if you want a screen size higher than 20" and requires a small power station to keep it running.

LCD and plasma televisions are perfect for watching DVD and HD video. CRT=history :wink:
May 21, 2006 12:23:59 AM

Quote:
...a range of sizes, including 2-inch, 8.4-inch, 15.1-inch, and 15.5-inch screens...to get the infrastructure in place for mass production in the second half of 2006...ship 20 million units in 2007, rising to 50 million by 2008.

(Bold added for emphasis. How reliable this projection is remains to be seen, though.)

My expectation is the first generation tech will be, almost exclusively, for cell phones and mobile computers.

Since both are on a constant quest for lower power and the first generation OLEDs biggest selling point will likely be power savings.
At least until they get any bugs worked out and a couple of big players enter the market so the per-unit cost goes down. There is always a premium that has to be payed by early adopters of new tech.

Sticking to phones and mobile comps also avoids the volatility of a likely shakeup the desktop industy seems headed toward in regards to display tech and (lack of) HD support.
May 21, 2006 9:06:07 AM

haha yes offcourse it's outdated in size you dont have to tell me the difference on that one :D  if you have a very very small room :p 
May 21, 2006 9:08:06 AM

ummm no the first gen is allready used while the technology is allready a long time in development. We are talking about real screens here. Not only samsung will released them 2008....I'm sure others will follow as they dont want to get behind the top of the cream. the bugs are histroy as we are talking. That's not the case anymore. Last year it was though.
!