What card is better?

xealman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
I´m having trouble deciding, wich one os better.

Geforce 7900GTX Clocked Version

or

Radeon X1900XT

They are in the same price class, but the CV on the GF is a buck more expensive.

The reson I ask is because they havent made a test with the GeForce 7900GTX on this homepage, but they have covered the radeon one and it´s topping the charts.

Sorry if this already have been anwsered before.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I like ATI, plus you can have AA+HDR at the same time. Performance-wise, they're almost identical, so you can't go wrong with either one. Whichever one you get, I hope you enjoy it.

xealman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Thanks guys, I also found these 2 reviews.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_blizzard_radeon_x1900_xtx/

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bfg_geforce_7900_gtx_oc_7900_gt_oc_review/

I chosed the Geforce 7900GTX OC to be my next buy.

linux_0

Splendid
Tru64 :-D

nVidia is better for OpenGL and non-M$ OSes while ATI is better for D3D and windoze.

The differences in performace are mostly minor 1-10FPS in some games.

:-D

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I´m having trouble deciding, wich one os better.

Geforce 7900GTX Clocked Version

or

Radeon X1900XT

They are in the same price class, but the CV on the GF is a buck more expensive.

The reson I ask is because they havent made a test with the GeForce 7900GTX on this homepage, but they have covered the radeon one and it´s topping the charts.

Sorry if this already have been anwsered before.
Performance-wise, it seems there isn't much difference between them; if comparing reference boards, the Radeon would have the edge, but there are so many heavily-overclocked GeForce cards out there, and ATi's partners are hardly putting any OC'ing into their cards.

Similarly, both will cause your wallet to emit a disturbing amount of blood. I know, I've had years to adjust to the prospect of $500US+ cards, (I remember my original shock upon learning of the price tag for the original GeForce 2 Ultra...) but it just still seems a lot...

Past that, it largely depends on your gaming preferences. If you stick with titles like Quake IV, they do better on the GeForce cards. If you go with the more shader-heavy titles, like F.E.A.R. or Oblivion, the Radeon X1900 is the only way you're going to get great framerates at the settings enthusiasts are used to.

As for my own personal preference, I'd give it to the Radeon, but almost purely for their IQ (image quality) reasons; their AF performance and quality have been in the lead for quite some time now, and only Radeon X1k cards can handle HDR and AA at the same time in most games. However, image quality settings are a personal preference.

I can't say you can really go wrong with either card, though I think your pocketbook might beg to differ. :p

xealman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Thanks fore the tips guys, much apreciated. :D

Yeah my wallet will get quiet sad :cry:

But I have told my wallet to prepare fore the worst and the risk fore an early retaierment.

The reson I wan´t a expensive good card, is that I want my cp to last long,
and that I don´t have to care about uppggrades.

So I see it as a way to save money in the long run.

xealman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
That´s true my friend.

But still, the GeForece 7900GTX CO version is such a good card that I will enjoy those games in the future with high grafic settings.
Highest to be exact.

I presume that the GeForce will last atleast 2years with high end grafics, aprox 5 years with good grafics.

So that´s why i dont care that much about that.

When those DX10 cards come, I am confident that you have to get a grafic card at the same priceclass, to get better grafics.

While those cards that are cheaper than the GF7900 GTX CO version will still be no match.