Dell deminsion 3000 with no AGP or PCIe

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Dell
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2006 11:48:01 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, with a 3 gig dual core 3 gig cpu, 1 gig of ram, running win xp home ect. paid 700 for it so imagine my suprise when I discovered it had no AGP or PCIe slot. (I know I should have read better, but who would have thought)
Ok so I bite the bullet and try installing a PCI card (a Ratheon 9250 and a GE force 5300) Not getting any acceleration, some games when you load just fault out and disapear. Tech support is almost no help.
Anyone have any ideas or know where to start to solve this mess.
Thanks in advance

Marc
Marc@marc3rd.com

More about : dell deminsion 3000 agp pcie

May 21, 2006 5:50:43 AM

Dude, you got a Dell... That's the big gotchya from many Dells. Saves a few pennies for the slot. Times millions of systems a year = good $.

New motherboard - with a PCI-e X16 slot. That's about the best you can do.

Mike.
May 21, 2006 6:19:56 AM

Sounds convincing..

Yeah you are right... He has no other choice.
Related resources
May 21, 2006 7:19:34 AM

really man, you're screwed. Get a new mobo, which wont fit in the wonky cases so you'll have to buy a new case, and since they give you the worst, least powerful psu's on the planet (i've got a 310 for my prescott), so you'll need a new one of those. then you need the card all together. Looks like you got what you paid for. God I hate dell. I didn't get what I paid for.
May 21, 2006 1:42:37 PM

Quote:
really man, you're screwed. Get a new mobo, which wont fit in the wonky cases so you'll have to buy a new case, and since they give you the worst, least powerful psu's on the planet (i've got a 310 for my prescott), so you'll need a new one of those. then you need the card all together. Looks like you got what you paid for. God I hate dell. I didn't get what I paid for.
Actually, Dell uses quite good PSUs in their systems. Very conservatively rated. A 250w Dell PSU will power something that I would otherwise put a 400w into, and it won't strain doing it. Over the last few years they've used standard ATX cases and connections, so a new mobo should fit just fine in the existing case and PSU. Umm, wait - you may be right on some of it here - a Dim 3000 is probably in a mini-tower case. Might not take a full AT mobo... (I don't remember - I've got a few of those at work).

@ Marc, you'ld better check size before you quote me that it'll fit.

Mike.
June 14, 2006 8:54:19 AM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I guess the only way to go is the mother board.
Does annyone have any ideas for a new reasonably priced mother board?
Thanks again
Marc
IllneverBuyAnotherDell@marc3rd.com
June 15, 2006 10:29:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I guess the only way to go is the mother board.
Does annyone have any ideas for a new reasonably priced mother board?
Thanks again
Marc
IllneverBuyAnotherDell@marc3rd.com

Dude, sorry to here about the lack of options. :cry:  A damn shame with a prescott intel chip. The Cheapest solution I know of is going with an ECS motherboard. They can be found under $50 retail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

oH wait...Your Dell 3000 comes spec'd with a dual core and no video expansion?!?..Mother?!?###8 :twisted: Not a cheap option there...Be ready to pay around $100 for a motherboard swap.
Try the ASUS P5PL2 sale price $88.99 below:

http://www.xpcgear.com/dualcoremobo.html
June 17, 2006 9:07:51 PM

Quote:
I have a Dell Dimension 3000, with a 3 gig dual core 3 gig cpu, 1 gig of ram, running win xp home ect. paid 700 for it so imagine my suprise when I discovered it had no AGP or PCIe slot. (I know I should have read better, but who would have thought)
Ok so I bite the bullet and try installing a PCI card (a Ratheon 9250 and a GE force 5300) Not getting any acceleration, some games when you load just fault out and disapear. Tech support is almost no help.
Anyone have any ideas or know where to start to solve this mess.
Thanks in advance

Marc
Marc@marc3rd.com

If your within 21 days send it back and get something better.
June 17, 2006 9:13:27 PM

Hence why I don't buy dHells.

Their enterprise level systems are far better but also more expensive. And its not like you or I can call them up and tell them to lower the price or we won't buy it like the IT guy at work can.
June 17, 2006 10:14:32 PM

You bought a Dell . . . you were expecting something else?
June 17, 2006 11:07:37 PM

Actually, Dell power supplies are garbage, at least in terms of reliability. I don't care that they may be conservatively rated, they are about the least reliable that you will find. I do warranty replacement work for Dell, and I wouldn't even try to count how many bad power supplies I have replaced in Dells. They may be alright if they are working, but it seems keeping them working is the problem. I've even replaced some more than once within a year. You're better off buying a new case, power supply, and motherboard. I've done this for many Dell owners. You'll have nothing but grief trying to use a different board in that case, as hardly any of the connectors will fit without modifications.
June 18, 2006 12:13:04 AM

Not too bad of a start...
however I would just go ahead and buy a new mobo (I preffer ASUS, great stability/compatability) and buy a new case that suits you (assuming that the DELL case is meant for that specific mobo, like most of the proprietory crap they put out)

What do you plan to use your new rig for?
!