Upgrading a PC with Celeron 500 to PIII

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hi,

I have a PC with an AOpen mainboard AX64. This board is slot 1 type. I have now a Celeron 500 CPU monted to a sloklet (slot 1 to socket 370 adaptor).

I would want to upgrade thart computer to a PIII that I found available on eBay. The model is SL52Q which, according to the specs I found is a FC-PGA type.

I search for the Celeron 500 model on the Internet, and I found only 3 models, but all are PPGA type.

I already know that the AX64 support up to 1Mgz PII CPU and the SL52Q model is supported.

My question is quite simple: can I use the actual slot 1/socket 370 adaptor with the PIII just by removing the Celeron and put it in its place?

I have a great confusion from my search about PPGA and FC-PGA type.

Thanks

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I did not buy it yet, I'm shopping and make me more intelligent by the way!

I'm searching infor just to be sure I won't invest in any CPU just to realized that I have not what I really need to boost that PCs speed.

Can you explain the differences between the 2 types that would make it not work?

And what would I need to make it work?

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
From what I can say about my reading, is that after some times Intel releases new PIII that were using FC-PGA2 and this one was electrically different from its, let's say, version one. I think I remember reading also that a special Intel chipset was needed for that, but I'm not sure about that last part...

I also read somewhere that it need a board that support VRM 8.4. I found this:

It depends on whether your motherboard uses the original VRM 8.2 voltage regulator or the later VRM 8.4 version. VRM 8.4 was released for Coppermine core CPU support, and is present on most Slot-1 boards that support 100MHz bus or higher. Early 100MHz bus Slot 1 boards and most 66MHz bus Slot 1 boards use the earlier VRM 8.2 standard.
While VRM 8.4 allows voltages down to 1.3v, VRM 8.2 supports voltages only as low as 1.80v.

Since teh AX64 support up to 133 mhz bus speed, I suppose it is compatible, but that do not answer the question about the slot 1 to socket 370 adaptor compatibility!

Why makes thinks simple when you can make them complicated for the same price, taxes included! Ouf!!! Going to sleep now! See ya tomorow!

and, by the way, thanks!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If your MB supports 133 bus, then the P3 should be ok in the slotket. There

will be a series of jumpers on it that set it for 66/100/133bus. Set it for the

133 bus. There should also be jumpers for voltage. Since the celeron is a

mendocino core, vs coppermine for p3, it runs at 2.0v. The p3 needs 1.7v.

Make sure to lower the voltage. The celeron uses a 66MHZ FSB, the P3-133,

so make sure that you have pc133 sdram. I think Jack was talking about

the Tualatin core P3, which wasn't compatable on alot of boards. It runs on

1.50v. The Tualatins are only produced from 1.13GHz-1.4GHz. I can use

a Tualatin in most slot 1 boards(Abit BH-6) :D as i use the slotket, and a

a Tualatin adaptor, that sits on top of it. Looks silly, adaptor on adaptor,

but works great. GL :lol:

If you have any problems, or questions, just give another shout.

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Thanks for the explanation. and yes, I have a few more questions!! :)

The slotket have only 2 jumpers on it. One is noted auto/overclock and it is at auto by default.

The other is noted 1/3 and there is no indication other than that. Is it set to position 1-2 by default.

But from what I can read on the AX64 MB it is a jumper less CPU settings, look in here:

http://global.aopen.com.tw/tech/techinside/jumperless.htm

Also, I have upgraded that computer to 768meg of RAM recently, using memory some friend did not want. They are 256 meg chips each. How can I know the bus speed of that RAM? I know it is NEC MEmory, but I search the net with some of the numbers on the chips with no success. The number on the chips are D45128841G5-A80-9JF and there are 16 of them for 256 meg.

Thanks very much for your help.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks for the explanation. and yes, I have a few more questions!! :)

The slotket have only 2 jumpers on it. One is noted auto/overclock and it is at auto by default.

The other is noted 1/3 and there is no indication other than that. Is it set to position 1-2 by default.

But from what I can read on the AX64 MB it is a jumper less CPU settings, look in here:

http://global.aopen.com.tw/tech/techinside/jumperless.htm

Also, I have upgraded that computer to 768meg of RAM recently, using memory some friend did not want. They are 256 meg chips each. How can I know the bus speed of that RAM? I know it is NEC MEmory, but I search the net with some of the numbers on the chips with no success. The number on the chips are D45128841G5-A80-9JF and there are 16 of them for 256 meg.

Thanks very much for your help.

If you look on the memory "chips" themselves, there will be a number.

eg. - V54C365804VCT7
or
-CHS64VD808T4AM-75
or
-HYB39S64800CT-7.5

These are some sdram i have sitting here. The LAST 2 numbers are

what you're interested in. These are the speed pf the chip in nanoseconds

You take 1000 and divide it by the 2 digit number.

eg. 1 = 1000/7 =142.85 ~pc133 at least.

eg. 2 = 1000/75 =133.33 is pc133

eg.3 = 1000/7.5 =133.33 pc133.

Its the same with newer RAM, with say, a 4 on the end is 1000/4=250

which @DDR would be 250x2=500(PC4000). Some companies will put

7.5, some 75. Anyways, sorry for such a long explanation.

You want at least a 75/7.5 on the end. 100/10 would only be able to

run at 100MHZ. If you don't feel like looking at the RAM, there's an

older program called ct'speed. Google it, and dl it. It will tell you the

rated speed of each module, and the timings. Very informative. I would

say that RAM, judging by markings is only PC100. What make is the

slotket, does it say?

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
The number on the chips are D45128841G5-A80-9JF and there are 16 of them for 256 meg.

eg. - V54C365804VCT7
or
-CHS64VD808T4AM-75
or
-HYB39S64800CT-7.5

If you don't feel like looking at the RAM, there's an

slotket, does it say?

Based on the RAM number I gave you, what number have you chossen to say it may be a PC100? Just to confirm that, I finally found a site that were comparing PC100 chips, and the marking of mine were there in the list, so yes that may be PC 100.

Does the mention software will work well even if memory is installed in a Celeron 500 ay 66Mhz?

The slotket does not mention any making. Only noted 370CPU in upper left corner of it.

Would that be possible to tell the 133Mhz CPU to slow down to PC100 speed? (I'M very sure the answer is no, but ...)

Thanks again.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The number on the chips are D45128841G5-A80-9JF and there are 16 of them for 256 meg.

eg. - V54C365804VCT7
or
-CHS64VD808T4AM-75
or
-HYB39S64800CT-7.5

If you don't feel like looking at the RAM, there's an

slotket, does it say?

Based on the RAM number I gave you, what number have you chossen to say it may be a PC100? Just to confirm that, I finally found a site that were comparing PC100 chips, and the marking of mine were there in the list, so yes that may be PC 100.

Does the mention software will work well even if memory is installed in a Celeron 500 ay 66Mhz?

The slotket does not mention any making. Only noted 370CPU in upper left corner of it.

Would that be possible to tell the 133Mhz CPU to slow down to PC100 speed? (I'M very sure the answer is no, but ...)

Thanks again. Based on the 9, which is around 111MHz. Yes

ct'speed will work with the celeron. Yes you can run a 133MHz CPU @

100. You'll lose ALOT though. If it's a P3 1Ghz, at 100 it's only running

750 Mhz. The biggest concern, is that you don't boot the P3@ 2.0v. I

think she'll fry. I've run them at 1.85, with a good(SLK900A) heatsink,

and seen guys have run them a high as 1.9-2.0v...but that's with TEC,

or phase-change. See if you can find some kind of part # or something,

on the slotket , that you can Google to find the jumper functions, and

settings. GL

PS. the motherboard can autodetect, but my worry is, if the slotket forces

the voltage(overiding the motherboard).

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Based on the 9, which is around 111MHz. Yes

settings. GL

I just open a few drawer here to find out that I have 3 other RAM bar that looks like 133Mgz. They are Avant Tech chips with the marking: 48LC16M8A2-75E. The 75 at the ends makes it 133, based on what you said, and I'm almost sure they are 256 meg as well.

But I did google for CT'Speed and coulnd find anything that is related to a software. All thinks were retated to Radar detection! Mabe it does not exist anymore...

As for the slotket, there is in the back of it (the black plastic) a note stating "Universal slot 1" and on the socket 370 itself a "PGA 370 ATC", but nothing more... The best educated guest I can make is that the place where the computer was bought was selling AOpen's computer they were building themself. So that may be an AOpen slotket. I'll try searching their site.

Look in here: http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/generic_slotket_mod.html. That one looks a lot like the one I have. you'll note the auto/overclock at the top right of the socket 370. And no the left/middle side of the socket you'll see the other jumper I'm talking about. Maybe that could help.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Based on the 9, which is around 111MHz. Yes

settings. GL

I just open a few drawer here to find out that I have 3 other RAM bar that looks like 133Mgz. They are Avant Tech chips with the marking: 48LC16M8A2-75E. The 75 at the ends makes it 133, based on what you said, and I'm almost sure they are 256 meg as well.

But I did google for CT'Speed and coulnd find anything that is related to a software. All thinks were retated to Radar detection! Mabe it does not exist anymore...

As for the slotket, there is in the back of it (the black plastic) a note stating "Universal slot 1" and on the socket 370 itself a "PGA 370 ATC", but nothing more... The best educated guest I can make is that the place where the computer was bought was selling AOpen's computer they were building themself. So that may be an AOpen slotket. I'll try searching their site.

Look in here: http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/generic_slotket_mod.html. That one looks a lot like the one I have. you'll note the auto/overclock at the top right of the socket 370. And no the left/middle side of the socket you'll see the other jumper I'm talking about. Maybe that could help.

Yes, that RAM sounds better. 7.5ns is 133. I can't find ct'speed either. I

have it on a CD. I downloaded it a few years ago. Anyway, your link

didn't work.

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Yes, that RAM sounds better. 7.5ns is 133. I can't find ct'speed either. I

have it on a CD. I downloaded it a few years ago. Anyway, your link

didn't work.

I have put the memory into the computer, and it is really 256meg modules. I'm now processing with a full test using memtest86 to be sure the RAM is still good. So far, it looks like teh memory is working well.

Too bad, that software do not have something to look at the memory speed, at least, I did not found it.

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
PS. the motherboard can autodetect, but my worry is, if the slotket forces the voltage(overiding the motherboard).

Now that I have found what's most likely PC133 memory, does that concern still apply? I mean, the CPU specs are the following:

o Clock Speed: 933MHz
o Cache Memory: 256K
o Voltage: 1.7
o Package Type: 370-pin FC-PGA
o Step Code: SL52Q
o Micron: 0.18 (Coppermine)
o Bus Speed: 133Mhz
o Bus/Core Ratio: 7

Then, the voltage should be 1.7, not 2.0 making it to the default voltage of the CPU if I do not try to run it at PC100 speed, right?

rahulhbk

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Doesn't Sisoft Sandra tell you all about your RAM and all?? I've an old P3 1.1GHz back home. Its got an 815 MOBO and an old TNT2 works fine for all sorts of home office work and runs WIN XP gr8 with 256 MB RAM. What i wanted to know was that you said that PC100 RAM has to be downclocked to make it run but my system's been using PC133 forever.....its never had any trouble. i've spare PC100 RAM but do i really need to change the RAM??

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Doesn't Sisoft Sandra tell you all about your RAM and all?? I've an old P3 1.1GHz back home. Its got an 815 MOBO and an old TNT2 works fine for all sorts of home office work and runs WIN XP gr8 with 256 MB RAM. What i wanted to know was that you said that PC100 RAM has to be downclocked to make it run but my system's been using PC133 forever.....its never had any trouble. i've spare PC100 RAM but do i really need to change the RAM??

I just tryed it and the software is wrong about many things. My MB has 3 RAM slots that could have up to 512meg each according to the manifacturer. Sandra told me it could only get 256meg modules on 4 slots up to 1gig, I cannot find the fourth slot!

It does not tell the memory speed, and the max speed bis of the computer is wrong again (100 vs 133).

About your RAM, if you have PC133 RAM installed, that's ok with your PIII. What's wrong is using PII/133 with PC100, then you have to twick the things to make it work correctly. But if you have a PC100 PIII running with PC133 memory, it will simply use the memory with PC100 speed.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
PS. the motherboard can autodetect, but my worry is, if the slotket forces the voltage(overiding the motherboard).

Now that I have found what's most likely PC133 memory, does that concern still apply? I mean, the CPU specs are the following:

Then, the voltage should be 1.7, not 2.0 making it to the default voltage of the CPU if I do not try to run it at PC100 speed, right?
No,the mem speed doesn't concern the core voltage. My point is that

the slotket was setup for the celeron(which uses 2.0v).If the jumpers

were set for that, even though the mobo autodetects, will it overide the

M/B and force 2.0v. I guess you can try, boot into BIOS, check CPU

voltage, then if it's too high(and not sizzling), shut down fast. Then

you'll have to experiment with the jumpers. :?

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

If the slot 1 board is exactly the same as the one I posted in the link, I do not see that any of the jumpers are used to set the voltage. So in that case, that mean it is a slotket that do not force the voltage, am I right assuming this?

And, by the way, I cannot see any voltage number in the BIOS CPU's page. How could I validate that then?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

If the slot 1 board is exactly the same as the one I posted in the link, I do not see that any of the jumpers are used to set the voltage. So in that case, that mean it is a slotket that do not force the voltage, am I right assuming this?

And, by the way, I cannot see any voltage number in the BIOS CPU's page. How could I validate that then?

Okay, i looked over the manual, in the link(looks like a good board).

It sounds like everything SHOULD autodetect, voltage too. The temp,

and voltages, and overclocking settings, are in the "Chipset Features

Setup" Menu. Look in CPU Voltage Detected, and also, CPU voltage

setting. I don't see where temp monitoring is...might also be in "Power

Managemant Setup". Gl :)

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Okay, i looked over the manual, in the link(looks like a good board).

It sounds like everything SHOULD autodetect, voltage too. The temp,

and voltages, and overclocking settings, are in the "Chipset Features

Setup" Menu. Look in CPU Voltage Detected, and also, CPU voltage

setting. I don't see where temp monitoring is...might also be in "Power

Managemant Setup". Gl :)

The fact is that, I just look in the manual for the AX 64 MB too, and the value I have in my actual BIOS on the same page is different. I have the Clock Spread Spectrum, then the CPU Detected Speed, nothing in the middle like I can see in the manual... Strange...

For the temp, I cannot say that I find it in either the powermanagement or elsewere.

Sandra, the soft mention by someone else here, is able to show the voltage and CPU temp. That is, if it gots the right information from the Mother board! By that may be enought to see what's going on when I plugged the PIII. The only problem is that I have to wait for the WinXP to boot completly before doing this. That may be a long time for a CPU!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I think Slot1 runs @ 100MHz so you should get a PIII with a 100MHz bus and they reach at most 800MHz FCPGA.

Nope...I have a slot 1 P3 600EB...133fsb.

And 100MHz p3's were made up to 850 + you could overclock them

pretty well.

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I think Slot1 runs @ 100MHz so you should get a PIII with a 100MHz bus and they reach at most 800MHz FCPGA.

Nope...I have a slot 1 P3 600EB...133fsb.

And 100MHz p3's were made up to 850 + you could overclock them

pretty well.

I agree with Tanker, it is clearly noted in my manual and AOpen site that the MB support up to 133 FSB speed.

meall

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hi Tanker,

I've tryed the PIII CPU I just bought on my slotket but the computer did not seem to boot on it at all. No beep, no boot screen, etc. I suppose that the slotket is to blame?

Also, the new CPU heat sink is very huge compared to the one I had. When trying to install it on the 370 socket, it breaks one of the little platic pins that help maintain it in place. The hook is very different from the one I had with the Celeron 500. It is like an S with an handle that needs to be pushed somehow to maintain the heatsink in place. I'm wandering if the fact that the missing plastic guide will need to be glue again to help or something. I should have been more prudent... I hate when I do stupid things like this!!!

Hope you can help again!

Thanks

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi Tanker,

I've tryed the PIII CPU I just bought on my slotket but the computer did not seem to boot on it at all. No beep, no boot screen, etc. I suppose that the slotket is to blame?

Also, the new CPU heat sink is very huge compared to the one I had. When trying to install it on the 370 socket, it breaks one of the little platic pins that help maintain it in place. The hook is very different from the one I had with the Celeron 500. It is like an S with an handle that needs to be pushed somehow to maintain the heatsink in place. I'm wandering if the fact that the missing plastic guide will need to be glue again to help or something. I should have been more prudent... I hate when I do stupid things like this!!!

Hope you can help again!

Thanks

That's a shame , that one of the retention tabs broke off. I doubt if you

can glue it back on and it be STRONG enough to hold on a heatsink. So,

if the heatsink isn't sitting on the cpu with sufficient downforce, the cpu will

very likely overheat....almost instantly. As far as the slotket, the only

thing i can suggest, is to try different jumper settings, on it. What is the

BIOS showing the CPU as, and what speed?