Rick Merrill wrote:
> After doing what
> http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html
> suggests I still have a low level "hissssss" (white noise)
> on the line. It is not objectionable during a conversation,
> but I wonder if it is ok or should I try to do something about it?
> -- RM

Are you sure that you are not listening to the 'comfort noise generator'
("CNG") that reassures people that the 'line' is still 'connected'?

.... A curious hang-over from the days of noisy old POTS!

Good luck,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> Rick Merrill wrote:
>
>> After doing what
>> http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html
>> suggests I still have a low level "hissssss" (white noise)
>> on the line. It is not objectionable during a conversation,
>> but I wonder if it is ok or should I try to do something about it?
>> -- RM
>

> Are you sure that you are not listening to the 'comfort noise generator'
> ("CNG") that reassures people that the 'line' is still 'connected'?
>
> ... A curious hang-over from the days of noisy old POTS!
>
> Good luck,
> Martin

Don't know! It does sound like white noise!