How long will AGP last?

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a new board and processors. I already have an agp 9800 pro so going PCI-e would be a little bit more expensive for me as I would have to purchase a new video card. Does it make sense to just get a PCI-e board now and shell out the dough for a new card as opposed to replacing my old agp motherboard with a new one?

thanks.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a new board and processors. I already have an agp 9800 pro so going PCI-e would be a little bit more expensive for me as I would have to purchase a new video card. Does it make sense to just get a PCI-e board now and shell out the dough for a new card as opposed to replacing my old agp motherboard with a new one?

thanks.

If you're looking into getting an AMD, look at the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, which has both an AGP and a PCI-E slot.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Probably a fair assessment. The card makers don't really want to keep making bridge chips for new GPU's (time/expense) and the motherboard makers aren't going to keep supporting AGP because the cards are more expensive and no one is buying them.

I would expect that nvidia is done making them (notice there is no 7900 AGP equivalent yet). Not to say there won't be, but I would be quite surprised if they turned out an 8 series card. Don't know about ati though, I can't keep their product line straight.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I can't see the new AM2 boards having AGP, just my opinion but it just doesn't make much sense. As you see fewer MB manufacturers make boards with AGP slots, the graphics manufacturers will just stop make AGP video cards.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I agree with angryduck. Get the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. It's a decent board. That way you can still use your agp card. Then when you are ready to get a better gpu, you won't need to replace the mb.

mas0n

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
according to my calculations AGP will last 324 days 13 hours and 33 seconds from this posting.

Realistly there will be one more major GPU type released then it will be slowly phased out.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
With 7800 GS , AGP will survive for a year or 2 (at least in newer high end gpu) ... sure several pcs will carrie AGP slot but none of them will be with newer chipsets...so slowly they will vanish...(but will resist for decades as some pentium mmx ) ... so you may keep the agp system ...but if you need some newer features (specially in games) you will have to move to PCIexpress very soon...

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Probably a fair assessment. The card makers don't really want to keep making bridge chips for new GPU's (time/expense) and the motherboard makers aren't going to keep supporting AGP because the cards are more expensive and no one is buying them.

ERRR Wrong. The fact that Nvidia released the 6800GS and the 7800GS within the last six months contradicts your claim. The current AGP user base is huge and is still just over 50% marketshare. btw, ATi relased the x1600 Pro within the same time frame.

expect that nvidia is done making them (notice there is no 7900 AGP equivalent yet). Not to say there won't be, but I would be quite surprised if they turned out an 8 series card. Don't know about ati though, I can't keep their product line straight.

So quick to predict. It was back in Nov and Dec on this board that people were claiming that Nivdia wouldn't release another AGP card after the 6800....and were wrong. Wth ATi ..I would agree that they've given up providing mid to high end user support. Card cycles this past year have been insane.

Ati really screwed over people with their staggered introduction of the x1800 and then followed just months later with the x1900. The life span of the "top tier card" is much shorter now than ever before. Nvidia card makers can afford to devote time and resources to "bridge" PCIe cards over to AGP given the large user base. Heck, Gainward released that special 1500 unit limited edtion 7800GS. To rave reviews.

The fact that bridging can be done and meet consumer demands shows how active the market still is with AGP much to the constranation of some. I'll offer you this tidbit. AGP as the leading video solution was 10 years. I doubt you will see PCIe be the leading video standard for six.

I would say that with the iminent release of AM2 and Conroe that their respective chipsets will not support AGP. Therefore as people transistion over to the newer CPUs, they will need to let go of the past and bury their AGP cards. I know I will be doing so with my 3 yr old 9800Pro.

One reason why AGP cards have lasted so long is due to the ULi M1695 chipset that allows users to upgrade to the S939 Athlon 64 while keeping thier AGP card, yet offers a PCI-e x16 interface. I'm sure many people are unfamiliar with thw ULi M1695, but if they got an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, then they should know what I'm talking about.

Alas, there will be no knight in shining armor coming to aid those who want to keep their AGP when they transition to either AM2 or Conroe. ULi has been acquired by nVidia. That leaves only 5 player in the chipset business. ATI, and nVidia are the top dogs, Intel is a good all rounder, and that leaves SiS and VIA who have been really quiet recently. The top dogs will not release anything like ULi's M1695. The two runts are probably better off using their limited resources to develop good PCI-e chipsets for Conroe and/or AM2.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
As ATI & Nvidia just want to sell as many chips as they can I would imagine AGP cards sporting modern GPU's will be around for quite a while yet. After all, PCI-E is barely 2 years old while AGP is burning a good 8 candles!

Regarding your upgrade though Vyder, how old is the rest of your system as in what are you currently running?

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AM2 is the 'death knell' for AGP.. doubtful that any companies will put that slot on the new boards

but then there is no real benefit from AM2 at the mo so u still have time with agp...

cleeve

Illustrious
ERRR Wrong. The fact that Nvidia released the 6800GS and the 7800GS within the last six months contradicts your claim.

And the fact that both Ati and Nvidia refuse to offer their top-end cards for the AGP market contradicts yours.

AGP has a limited shelf-life at best.

Gainward's 7800 GT/7900 GT solutions for AGP are oddities, and so overpriced that they're not really a good buy by any stretch of the imagination.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
ERRR Wrong. The fact that Nvidia released the 6800GS and the 7800GS within the last six months contradicts your claim.

And the fact that both Ati and Nvidia refuse to offer their top-end cards for the AGP market contradicts yours.

Yeah, right. "officially" :lol: what a loophole that is. :lol: As if Nvidia is really, really mad there are 7 series AGP cards out there. Nvidia posted huge gains in desktop solutions this past business quarter.

7800/7900 is top end until the 8 series arrives.

I'm sure you were one of the loudest voices on the boards Cleeve, betting that there never would be a 7 Series AGP from Nvidia. Maybe there will be an 8 series too. Maybe there won't.

AGP has a limited shelf-life at best.

BTW, PCIe also has a limited shelf-life and will be shorter than the lifespan of AGP. :p

Gainward's 7800 GT/7900 GT solutions for AGP are oddities, and so overpriced that they're not really a good buy by any stretch of the imagination.
Oh yeah. Gainward shatters your perfect world view, so you just slander their card. Very bright and mature.

Hey, any video card over $300 imho is overpriced! But the ubergamers buy them anyway. PCIe or AGP.

Take an economics course and you might discover the concept of "supply and demand."

cleeve

Illustrious
I'm sure you were one of the loudest voices on the boards Cleeve, betting that there never would be a 7 Series AGP from Nvidia.

I don't think I was.
However, it is a fact that there's still no 7900 GTX or X1800/X1900. And without even the corporate will to get those out, the best you can hope for in the next gen is that AGP recieves more mid-grade 'hand-me-down' cards.

Sure, one manufacturer like Gainward might take a stab at a few die-hards, but the writing is on the wall man. Even Gainward didn't make a 7900 GTX.

BTW, PCIe also has a limited shelf-life and will be shorter than the lifespan of AGP. :p

Sure. So what? Should I care?

I don't see how that is relevant to my statement, which was that AGP has a limited shelf-life at best...

Take an economics course and you might discover the concept of "supply and demand."

Lol. You might learn a thing or two yourself, when you take into account the fact that every day that goes by, more PCIe systems are sold and the AGP market shrinks. Shrinking market=Shrinking demand.

Wishing otherwise doesn't change a thing.

Oh yeah. Gainward shatters your perfect world view, so you just slander their card. Very bright and mature.

Hey, any video card over $300 imho is overpriced! But the ubergamers buy them anyway. PCIe or AGP.

Slander them? I've told many people that Gainward makes the only viable AGP card for high performance PCs. That doesn't make it cost effective though.

You might want to take a course on 'cost effectiveness'...

A 7600 GT at ~$170 will stand up to a stock $300 7800 GS.

That leaves $130 extra to upgrade to a faster platform, which won't be chained to a dying video card standard where you have to pay a huge premium for decent performance come next upgrade. Not to mention the rest of the platform's upgradability...

Who needs a lesson in economics now? :p

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
I'm sure you were one of the loudest voices on the boards Cleeve, betting that there never would be a 7 Series AGP from Nvidia.

I don't think I was.
However, it is a fact that there's still no 7900 GTX or X1800/X1900. And without even the corporate will to get those out, the best you can hope for in the next gen is that AGP recieves more mid-grade 'hand-me-down' cards.

No one is concerned about ATi not having an AGP variant after the x850. That's old news. You should have been there. We had a giant campfire and lit candles. (sniff, sniff)

I am just amazed at how vociferous your position is on a gradually aging video standard (Yes AGP is an old standard). If there are some happy users with AGP, then it is to the credit of its stability and relevance. But I forgot you are a life-long charter member of the "upgrade or die brigade"

Sure, one manufacturer like Gainward might take a stab at a few die-hards, but the writing is on the wall man. Even Gainward didn't make a 7900 GTX.

Oh puleeeze cleeve...a 7900GTX AGP would make you happy????? gah

Again, see above comments. Besides, there are at least five vendors offering a 7 series AGP card. I guess they are just foolishly wasting money? What was XFX, Evga, MSI etc, etc thinking.....

Sure. So what? Should I care?

I don't see how that is relevant to my statement, which was that AGP has a limited shelf-life at best...

(sigh) because PCIe is the next AGP...ya get it now? They aren't all that different to the marketplace.

Lol. You might learn a thing or two yourself, when you take into account the fact that every day that goes by, more PCIe systems are sold and the AGP market shrinks.

as sand through the hourglass....tick-tock
I never said the AGP market was growing cleeve. I said it was still quite large. You might learn if you read a response carefully.

Wishing otherwise doesn't change a thing.

Oh, to wish upon a PCIe slot! :lol:

You might want to take a course on 'cost effectiveness'...

A 7600 GT at ~$170 will stand up to a stock $300 7800 GS.

$130 extra to upgrade to a faster platform?

Who needs a lesson in economics now? :p

You do.

You employ fuzzy math to support you position and an indirect platform comparrison? oh cute. You forgot to add the cost of a new motherboard and CPU with that 7600GT. Again, the term cost effectiveness is arbitrary. Whatever you what to establish as paramenter is up to the measurer. I said any card over $300 is overpriced, but to have it available for consumers is the market reacting to demand.

I can tell you're all into the Sysmark and test numbers that all the websites conduct. It doesn't really matter. Real world user experience is what counts and by and large, most AGP users do not feel the need to run out and upgrade just because Billy's Website gives the x456 Hyper PCIe a Must Buy rating.

But back to your point on the 7600GT
Besides spending another $200 on a card to replace anopther card that is just a year old (another $200) or so is not a good deal either. Being a slave to fashion (or in this case the leading edge) is just wasting money. Oh I forgot ...the 7600GT raises your 3dmark06 by 15% you want it bad.

been fun

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
This thread has my seal of approval :D

...and BTW.......the Asrock mobo I'm running supports socket M2 AND AGP at the same time(there were a few in this thread who said it was umpossible :lol: )

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
What? The Asrock mobo has support for M2 AND AGP?!?!?!?
Yes, but you have to purchase a daughter card....

picture20554920copy9pz.jpg

Yo! The only person around here who gets to swing the Economics e.P3ni$ is ME!

Perhaps YOU should learn about the concept of SUPPLY first, and focus on things like single line production costs, and economies of scale, and then the adoption curve and variable costs versus variable pricing, and especially something strongly related to the adoption curve and this situation allocation pricing.

For nV and ATi both would PREFER that there only be PCIe, however the reality is that there are still alot of AGP owners out there with limited PCIe upgrade paths (especially AthlonXP owners who have no path), so the reality is that there is still some demand out there for top end card for some of those people. But for some if the price (or overall cost depend on how you consider the factors) of the AGP variant is more than that of a PCIe equipped Mobo (for their CPU socket) and the equivalent or better PCIe card, then the motivation to remain with AGP is not an economic one but a psychological one.

When the GF7800GS initially launched, anyone still on an AMD64 platform thinking of buying one would be doing so for purely psychological reasons since there were S754 and S939 and S940 MoBo out there for less than the price difference between a GF7800GS and a TRUE GF7800GT, so the better move was to change both at the same time for less money.

Anywhoo, AGP is in it's dying days, and while most of us expected no new AGP cards (as was stated by both ATi and nV) this addition of the GF7800GS series was not something that even nV seemed to have on the radar for quite some time.

AGP as a high end option is pretty much dead, and for more than just economic reasons, but for bridge speed reasons. The GF7900GT based GS is extremely expensive, and probably by the next generation people will be considering whether it makes much sense to spend even that level of money for an AGP card when they'll be comparing their rigs to Conroe and AM2 rigs.

Anywhoo, the history of PCIe graphics is marked by 2 significant moments, A) the collosal failure of prescott B) the resulting lack of PCIe MoBos in the market making ATi and nV launch second generation AGP cards after their planned withdrawl from that market space. Both of those things greatly impacted the longevity of AGP and the feeling that there's still legs left in it. If Prescott had been the hit that Conroe appears to be I'm certain things would be much different and far closer to ATi and nV's original plans of abandoning AGP alltogether.

For a pure economic perspective PCIe-only makes more sense. But the market realities show that it's not just about the economics in this situation far too many other factors got involved along the way, but the only one that still remains is pretty much psychological on both the consumer side and the producers side.

I never said the AGP market was growing cleeve. I said it was still quite large. You might learn if you read a response carefully.

Read the reply carefully too. What your argument will hing on in that case is the semantics of the a 'quite large' market. How big is that? Compared to a PPU market? PCI graphics market? Or compared to the much MUCH larger PCIe market. The AGP market is quite small in comparison and what you seem to be neglecting is that AGP owner =/= future AGP buyer. Many current AGP owner will simply be upgrading everything and while proponents of AGP like to continue the myth that they're all looking for another AGP card, the reality is that more and more are moving to PCIe. There are still many people who have and will buy AGP, but that market is no only shrinking it's already pretty small in comparsion.

You forgot to add the cost of a new motherboard and CPU with that 7600GT.

You forgot that in many cases you don't need a new CPU, just a new MoBo. So like my previous Caveat said, it depends on the situation (pretty much left with AXP [and P3 and first gen P4 :roll: ] users for the 'must upgrade MoBo+CPU').

I said any card over $300 is overpriced, but to have it available for consumers is the market reacting to demand.

Overpriced is not for you to decide, you should know that if you know your economics, it simply doesn't mean your price point. But it is the market reacting to demand, but if that's also the case, then it's price reacting to their costs, and showing the fragility of the curve for such a product in an ever decreasing market. If they made a $2,000 G80 it may be a reaction to demand, but the sales may be a factor of the reaction to that price. It's existance does not prove that production or pricing are justified, only if they sell enough to balance equilibrium is that proven.

I can tell you're all into the Sysmark and test numbers that all the websites conduct. It doesn't really matter. Real world user experience is what counts

I can tell that's a BS defence of someone who has no facts to support their statement.

Subjective opinions do not hold the weight of objective results in an exploration of facts and a debate of hardware. If I say my 'experience' is that the FX5200 plays Oblivion amazingly well that doesn't mean much when it's not put into some kind of objective context. If by amazingly well I mean, after the patch I can see the game, and I'm interested in the gameplay more than IQ and FPS, then that's of little importance when comparing graphics solutions that are focused on just that.

Review sites are far more important to most objective consumers than subjective opinions of a handful of people who may be influenced by personal bias. You can argue your feelings 'til your blue in the face, but without something objective to back it up you've got not basis to suppor your hypothesis.

Being a slave to fashion (or in this case the leading edge) is just wasting money.

Far better to be on the leading edge than to waste your money on the trailing edge. You're a slave to the past in the same sense that any early adopter may be a slave to the upgrade bug. However his choice will likely cost him less over the long run as his options in 1 years time are far greater than yours, and the resale value of the purchase is likely more too (although there's always a sucker out there for everything so who knows :wink: ).

Fact of the matter is, that the upgrade path on the AGP card is far more limited than the upgrade pathon the PCIe card. GW's got the best option available to AGP owners IMO, whereas the PCIe owner will have the opportunity for Conroe that doesn't appear to have AGP in it's future, not to mention the generations after these.

For anyone buying now I'd never recommend AGP. But for anyone who's already purchased a card there's no need to upgrade just for the slot. It's all about the options and the wise use of the money you have. For some people that was the AGP route, but the further we get into the future the less that will be true.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
In addition to Economics there is also marketing.

You cannot get the performance from AGP. So new high end cards and technology from both ATi and NVidia will never use AGP, because the bus will slow it down and as a result lower benchmarks.

Same really goes for the mid and low end, but not as important as long as they can get reasonable performance from AGP.

It just depends on performance in relation to the competitors.

IMHO, AGP should be out in 12-18 months (after that it will be all old stock).

In addition to Economics there is also marketing.

Yep, and talk to a professor of either and most will say the other has no influence. :roll: :lol: :roll:

You cannot get the performance from AGP.

That may finally be getting to be true. With 500mhz being the max stability for the bridges it appears future VPUs will be going beyond that point in even the middle of the top end (as in GT not GTX).

So new high end cards and technology from both ATi and NVidia will never use AGP, because the bus will slow it down and as a result lower benchmarks.

Well it's not the bus that seems to be the barrier, 12X or 16X AGP would be more than enough of course especially since we're barely pushing 8X, however the bridge does seem to be the weak link and without a fast core it doesn't matter how fast you feed it. My personal belief is that some mid-range DX10 card will be the last hoorah, and it too will have a higher pricetag than it's PCIe equivalent and betters.

It just depends on performance in relation to the competitors.

Performance and price of course.

IMHO, AGP should be out in 12-18 months (after that it will be all old stock).

I give it less time. I'd say the last 'new' card from the big boyz will be produced in less than 12 months. That does not include workstation cards though since it's a far different kettle of fish.

EDITED to clean up quotes.

Also props to Cleeve, well and clearly defended.
I however have always said AGP is DEAD long live PCIe :twisted: ;

"Kill the beast while it's Wounded!" - Dame Vaako from Riddick

cleeve

Illustrious
No one is concerned about ATi not having an AGP variant after the x850. That's old news. You should have been there. We had a giant campfire and lit candles. (sniff, sniff)

Choose an argument please...

On one hand you're screaming up and down how important AGP is, on the other you're saying how unimportant it is for one of the two graphics card manufacturers that matter to support the standard?

What is your point? That AGP is important, but not really?

I am just amazed at how vociferous your position is on a gradually aging video standard (Yes AGP is an old standard). If there are some happy users with AGP, then it is to the credit of its stability and relevance. But I forgot you are a life-long charter member of the "upgrade or die brigade"

Are you in your right mind, sir?

I happily advocate any AGP user to upgrade ALL THE TIME on this forum. hell, I have a sticky thread on the top up there that has a WHOLE AGP section, if you hadn't noticed...

If you have a Gefore 5800 and want to upgrade, more power to you. get a nice X800 GTO, 6800 GS... maybe a used 6800 GT or X800 XL. Those are COST EFFECTIVE. That is the key, and why I advocate.

In addition, I am one of the most vocal people defending the AGP bus when the uninformed insist that PCIe performance is worlds better.

The facts show that your arguments are terribly flawed, I suspect your position stems from some sort of misguided AGP fanboyism that I don't pretend to understand.

But please, don't make asenine assumptions that I'm anti-AGP based on your predelection for upgrading to a video card that is not cost effective.

Oh puleeeze cleeve...a 7900GTX AGP would make you happy?????

Hell, yes. Reasonably priced and widely available? Sure!

A reasonably priced AGP 7900 GT would make me happy, too! But Gainward's solutions are not reasonably priced or easy to get, which makes them difficult to recommend from a budgetary standpoint.

If someone comes out with an AGP 7900 GT available and priced similarly to it's PCIe brethren, I'll be the first to endorse.

But blowing a wad 7800 GS that's better spent on a new platform & video card in the long run? Uh, sorry, I'm not going to recommend that because you have an irrational love of a dying bus.

(sigh) because PCIe is the next AGP...ya get it now? They aren't all that different to the marketplace.

Once again, show me the relevance. I should care that PCIe is the next AGP because?

This has absolutely no bearing on cost-effective upgrades, and choosing PCIe over AGP for top-of-the-line gaming systems right now. The AGP cycle is at it's end and PCIe is at it's beginning, and you know it. So your point isn't even a point, it's just silly.

Lol. Yeah, you said 'supply and demand'. And then i pointed out that demand is falling. if you can't see the significance of that, I can't explain it any simpler for ya. :wink:

I'm trying to resond to your last three paragraphs, but you make no points to respond to. You can't even rationalize a single reason why upgrading to a PCIe system & 7600 GT is not more cost effective than blowing a wad on a Gainward 7900 GT AGP upgrade with no future.

You're out of gas, buddy. Been fun tho. :roll:

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Choose an argument please...

ok, I choose the "self important ubergamer" for a $100 Alex

On one hand you're screaming up and down how important AGP is, on the other you're saying how unimportant it is for one of the two graphics card manufacturers that matter to support the standard?

What is your point? That AGP is important, but not really?

Again you don't read but assume.(sigh) I said it is still relevant to users and that the userbase is still the majority of the marketplace.

blah, blah blah...rant, rant, rant...etc, etc. something off-topic was here (sigh) then degraded into something really unitelligable....

This has absolutely no bearing on cost-effective upgrades, and choosing PCIe over AGP for top-of-the-line gaming systems right now. The AGP cycle is at it's end and PCIe is at it's beginning, and you know it. So your point isn't even a point, it's just silly.

PCIe is not at its beginning, but rather at its middle.

I'm trying to resond to your last three paragraphs, but you make no points to respond to. You can't even rationalize a single reason why upgrading to a PCIe system & 7600 GT is not more cost effective than blowing a wad on a Gainward 7900 GT AGP upgrade with no future.

there you go again with this vauge cost effective mantra....as if people must upgrade when the next new thing comes out. I'm waiting to upgrade (as are other users) when the time is right. Not when you give an endorsement.

You're out of gas, buddy. Been fun tho. :roll:

Funny, that is you dude! I run on ethanol. :D