Asus 32 deluxe or DFI Lanparty quandry

dh_orac

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hi Guys ,

Some of you guys were kind enough to set me straight with a ram related query I posted recently in the ram forum. Although i`m a lot clearer about things , i`m now having second thoughts about which mobo to get.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for choosing between these two please:

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert skt 939

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe (skt 939)

I`m not going to overclock it , so I know (now :roll: ) that I just need DDR400 ram , and I was gonna get the DFI cos it seemed like the newer card. But now i`m not sure if I really need it or not , and a lot of people seem to have had some issues with it.

I`m gonna be adding an AMD FX57 , an FSP Epsilon 700W and 2 x 512mb Nvidias to the rig.

I know this part is really a memory related question , but on either Corsair`s or Asus`s site , it mentioned that the Asus A8N32 card had been designed and set up with the following Corsair ram in mind:

Corsair Twinx 2x1024Mb LLPRO DDR433 Non ECC

I was thinking about just putting either Twinx 2x1024Mb C2PRO DDR400 , or OCZ 2x1024Mb DDR400 Gold EL , along with the DFI into the rig , but i`m now considering getting that Asus mobo with the Corsair DDR433 LLPRO instead. I know the ram`s faster than I need , but maybe it will be more stable.

That fanless copper piping system on the Asus looks better as well. Has anybody had any issues with that ?

By the way , i`m buying the rig custom made to order , and I can`t see myself really messing with the BIOS settings etc too much.

Any advice would be very much appreciated guys

Dave

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
The DFI boards really are for overclocking mainly where as the ASUS boards a overclocking-mainstream. So go for the ASUS as it is slightly easier to use and has a heck of alot of features.

Both boards are solid makes, I dunno, what problems people are having with the DFI board but alot of people love it.

As for the ASUS board being "specifically made for a certain RAM", this is marketing gunk, the RAM should work in any board make and ASUS have had their own problems with ram in their time.

I would really recommend you get a dual core processor for your build but it's totally up to you - it won't make your games go faster (not yet) but it will certainly make your life easier (guaranteed).

Some people swear by ocz and some swear by corsair. I'm using Corsair, no problems but OCZ is a good make too. The corsair DDR433 LLPRO has the best latencies there 2-3-2-6 and is faster than the c2PRO DDR400 2-3-3-6. The OCZ has slightly worse timings 2-3-3-8 (although some people say the last timing number is best set at 7 - nothing lower). I doubt you'll see much of a difference between them anyway so it's probably all up to price.

Oh, and you will have to go into the BIOS, if nothing else, to set the timings for your RAM. I find it quite amusing when I find the motherboard setting my 2-3-3-6 ram to 3-3-3-8 with 2T automatically, makes me wonder how many people with performance RAM are running it at loose timings.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Pretty much everything Kholonar said is true :wink:

I have the asus A832-Sli board. I put some OCZ in it. A friend of mine has the same board (and same cpu), he put cosair in his. They both run like champs.

I also agree on getting the dual core. You will want it soon.

dh_orac

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Thanks for that guys. That`s just what I was looking for.

Ok , i`m gonna go with the ASUS and stick a matching pair of OCZ 2x1024Mb DDR400 Gold EL sticks in with it.

I`ve had yet another re-read of the specs etc of all of the above , and the ASUS gives full 16 x speed to **both** graphics cards in SLI. The DFI one only gives 8 x speed , and that`s a bit more expensive !
I also think that cooling pipe on the ASUS looks better than the fan on the DFI board.

I must admit , when I first started thinking about getting a new rig some time ago , I didn`t realise just how out of touch I was with how far things have progressed over the past 3-4 years.
Boy have I been brought up to speed on a few things recently :eek:

Thanks for the advice guys

Dave