Can you use Cell phone as a modem.

November 8, 2004 6:28:33 PM

How can you (if possible) connect a Dell Axim X3 to a Kyocera SE47 Slider
cell phone to use the cell phone as a modem. I have been told you can and
you can't?? But I bought the connection cable to connect both Pocket PC and
cell phone but not able to get it working?

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : cell phone modem

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:35:46 AM

Ron wrote:
> How can you (if possible) connect a Dell Axim X3 to a Kyocera SE47
> Slider cell phone to use the cell phone as a modem. I have been told
> you can and you can't?? But I bought the connection cable to connect
> both Pocket PC and cell phone but not able to get it working?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Assuming it's similar to the nokia's you just line up and enable the
infra red on the phone and axim then create a dial up connection on the
X3 to your ISP.

The specs for that phone that I found say its not bluetooth or GPRS
enabled so assuming it has a builtin modem the best speed your going to
get is 9600 or about 5 ish times slower than a standard landline dial
up.

You'll also need to ensure your phone provider has data enabled your sim
too.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:53:46 PM

"Steve Parry [MVP]" <k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o n0mprdxEHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Ron wrote:
>> How can you (if possible) connect a Dell Axim X3 to a Kyocera SE47
>> Slider cell phone to use the cell phone as a modem. I have been told
>> you can and you can't?? But I bought the connection cable to connect
>> both Pocket PC and cell phone but not able to get it working?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Assuming it's similar to the nokia's you just line up and enable the
> infra red on the phone and axim then create a dial up connection on the
> X3 to your ISP.
>
> The specs for that phone that I found say its not bluetooth or GPRS
> enabled so assuming it has a builtin modem the best speed your going to
> get is 9600 or about 5 ish times slower than a standard landline dial
> up.
>
> You'll also need to ensure your phone provider has data enabled your sim
> too.
>
> --

The Slider is actually a CDMA 1xRTT mobile phone, so if you manage to
connect it'll actually be faster than GPRS. Probably (depending on
operator), around 60kbps.