amd x2 hanging in games

farmrt88

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I just finished a upgrading a rig. I am experiencing hangups in games. Examples are in the warcraft 3 game menu, and in BF2 in game.
I have installed all patches to correct dual core issues.

I have a 7600gt, and an enermax 400w psu (22a on each 12v rail)
I also have onboard sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
I was certain 400w would be enough for this system, and these are only random hangups with no reboots.
Could onboard sound be causing the problem?
Could system cooling be an issue?

I am running out of ideas, and I need to give the pc as a graduation gift ASAP.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I don't quite know what hang-up means. Is that a stutter (in which case it's probably just the ram thrashing the hard drive so you just need to buy more ram or defrag the hard drive) or is it halting for 5 or more seconds?

I can't remember the saying, something like "isolate and consolidate???" lol, I think that's wrong.

It could be as simple as simple as installing a new driver or making sure you are using windows driver model versions.

Let's start the software route, diagnostics and such like

1. Uninstall your graphics card driver in safe mode (press f8 at boot up). Download latest forceware driver (84.21?) and try that.

2. Download an anti spyware program like spybot search and destroy and check your system

3. Update anti virus software

4. Check your hard drive by going to your hard drive maker's home page and looking for a checking software. After that, run chkdisk Go to "Start", "My Computer", right-click on the "C:" drive, left-click "Properties", select the "Tools" tab, click "Check Now...", check "Automatically Fix File System Errors", then click "Start", "Yes" and Reboot. If you can, go into your bios and use SMART monitoring, this might tell you if your hard disk is about to crumble/dissolve.

5. Run memcheck on a floppy disk http://www.memtest.org/ to test your memory

6. Run a motherboard temperature monitoring software like speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php check that your cpu temp is below 60'C when loaded and under 40'C when idle

7. Run prime 95 on dual cores to now test stability of your processor http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm . If it fails, lower your processors clock speed and check it again. If your processor does need to be lowered below stock speeds to become stable then you should get it RMA'd, no point suffering with a slower than normal processor because you ended up with a dud.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Onboard sound is never good, but then again, it shouldn't cause hang-ups. I would suggest checking the hard-drive. Defrag it, check for viruses and spyware, and then scan the disk for bad sectors. If the hdd is clean, proceed to check the RAM. Memtest and Prime95 are good ways of checking the health of your RAM modules. If that is clean, then maybe the powersupply is faulty? If so, then run a program that can monitor the voltages for the PSU. When during a game, check for voltage fluctuations, not the small kind because that is normal, but for significant changes in the voltages. These would point out a stressed out/faulty PSU. Just go through each device and test it until problem is solved.

farmrt88

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
One odd thing,

3dmark 06 ran without a hitch, and had 4000 3dmarks at 1024 resolution, so I think my psu must be okay.

Heres my full specs

AMD 3800X2
2 Gig PC 400 (4*512)
100gig Maxtor SATA
BENQ DW 1655 DVRDW
EVGA 7600GT KO
ATI 480 Southbridge, Express 200 chipset.
Realtek 97 Audio
400watt Enermax Liberty Modular PSU
ASUS ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard (HP OEM)

I have installed all dual core patches, and have C'Q disabled.
I also added the cputimer line to the boot.ini
The device manager shows mulitprocessor API

COD2 runs fine for minutes, until random pauses, but then run fines.
Warcraft 3 is barely playable, as the menu screen freezes with or without moving the mouse.

What should dual core usage charts look like in a healthy system, as I am new to dual cores?

I may just eventually reformat, and see if that works.

Thanks for the thoughts, this forum is great for everyones input!

BTW, I have a spare Socket 939 Sempron 3400+ if anyone is interested, I have read they are great for OC'ing.....

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
By looking at the specs... I can think of either the 4 sticks of RAM being the problem (only a guess so don't flame me) or the Maxtor hard-drive. Everything else there seems pretty sound.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
My X2 doesn't hang in games... rather the opposite... it flies... but then again, his system isn't the same as mine and I play different games to him.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
One odd thing,

3dmark 06 ran without a hitch, and had 4000 3dmarks at 1024 resolution, so I think my psu must be okay.

Heres my full specs

AMD 3800X2
2 Gig PC 400 (4*512)
100gig Maxtor SATA
BENQ DW 1655 DVRDW
EVGA 7600GT KO
ATI 480 Southbridge, Express 200 chipset.
Realtek 97 Audio
400watt Enermax Liberty Modular PSU
ASUS ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard (HP OEM)

I have installed all dual core patches, and have C'Q disabled.
I also added the cputimer line to the boot.ini
The device manager shows mulitprocessor API

COD2 runs fine for minutes, until random pauses, but then run fines.
Warcraft 3 is barely playable, as the menu screen freezes with or without moving the mouse.

What should dual core usage charts look like in a healthy system, as I am new to dual cores?

I may just eventually reformat, and see if that works.

Thanks for the thoughts, this forum is great for everyones input!

BTW, I have a spare Socket 939 Sempron 3400+ if anyone is interested, I have read they are great for OC'ing.....

your 3800 x2 is running like a regular single core AMD 64 3200+

i think thats why

- maybe overclocking or faster CPU would help

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
X2's hang in games cuz its a dual core. google it.
I use an X2 for gaming without problems; worst case senario, you have to set the process affinity! :lol:

no it has something to od with cache im nto sure i read it somewhere.