Overclocking Newcastle 3000+

Ok, so I have lived with my computer for almost three years now and It has seved me well but I am getting really anxious to build a new one. I want to wait til prolly around december when Conroe and AM2 are out and have come down in price before I build one. To bide the time however I have decided to make my computer into a an overclocking project. After sitting under my desk for three years i found out that it had quite a bit of dust built up in it so I spent most of my afternoon today taking out all of the components and geting them as clean as possible. I also got a brand new CPU Heatsink/Fan that I happened to have lying around.

Here are my specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle
Gigabyte MB Via K8T800 Based
Antec 380 Watt PSU
2 512 MB sticks RAM Patriot (2-3-2-5) PC 3200
GeForce 6800 (non gt or anything) 128 mb
Audigy 2 zs
WD800JB HD
Samsung CD-DVD drive

And thats it. What kind of overclocking should I expect from it? And what advice would any of you give to achieve the best results? Also I removed Gigabtes DPS card because I have heard it doesn't really do anything and it was definatly impeding the airflow of the case, is this a good idea for overclocking or is the extra phase power do more than the extra airflow. Like I said this computer is getting up there in years and I'll be building a new computer by years end but I would like to get the most out of this without spending any more money til the end of the year. Any advice is aprreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about overclocking newcastle 3000
  1. All processor are different, even processors of the same make and specification. The 3000+ newcastle can perhaps do 2.4GHz but it's not certain, just make sure you push your clock up slowly, some people say test at every 2MHz HTT prime 95 stable for 24 hours but you'll be there all year if you do. I find the best way is to divide your ram and then increase in 2MHz increments booting up and running one iteration of prime 95 until you get to the point where it throws up errors.

Then you can start dropping down doing 30 minute prime95 tests.

Finally, once you settled on a speed, close up your ram to its stock speeds or near enough and run a 24 hour prime 95 test.
  2. Ok I was only able to increase the HTT to 216 before it becomes unstable. Giving 2.16 GHz. Is this probobly all the further I'll be able to get or are there things I can do to get it stable at higher speeds? I've been hesitant to mess with voltages since I'm not sure how much my components can take. Also what can I do for the graphics card? I have tried messing a little with coolbits and have been able to bump it up a little but it will randomly crash in BF2. What can I expect from it?
  3. The operating voltage is 1.5V. If you increase the voltage to the cpu, it might be able to achieve higher clock speeds. Remember to watch the temperature of the CPU though.

The Newcastle's max temperature is 70'C but when testing on load you should not go above 65'C. Google "Speedfan" or "motherboard monitor" to get temperature monitoring programs, this should help you in testing.
  4. Overclocking that CPU won't really be worth your trouble. First thing to notice is its socket 754 (nothing wrong with them), which then you look at the chipset (Via K8T800), one BIG thing - on that chipset there was no memory divider. Nor do I believe were there any PCI locks (but I could be wrong - been a long time since I've worked on one). If you want to overclock it, the Nforce3 chipset will give you nice results, or get overclocking memory (DDR500 minimum) to get any halfway decent results. Lock that AGP/PCI-E before you start overclocking your videocard, and you should be able to get a little higher clocks on core/mem (if the m/b allows it).
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Computer Product