The ~$1000 Water-Cooled Gaming & Multimedia HTPC

oshox

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I am looking to build an HTPC that is great for gaming and multimedia, but not exorbitant expensive. I'm not looking to build anything exotic, all I want is for it to be small, fast, and quiet.

Core Components: Asus P5WD2 955X Motherboard, 1 GB Patriot eXtreme PC2-6400 RAM, Intel Pentuim D 805, XFX PV-T73G-UDF3 7600GT, Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W

For the core, I was looking at the Intel Pentium D 805. THW just had a very good article about overclocking this CPU, and the performance for the money seems too hard to pass up. I am planning to take this chip up to the 200 MHz bus, so I am going with DDR2-800 RAM and one of the boards recommended in the article. An Antec 500W PS and an XFX 7600GT video top it off.

Case & Cooling: Lian-Li PS-7A plus II, Swiftech MCP655 Liquid Cooling Pump, Swiftech Apogee CPU Block, Zalman ZM-GWB2 VGA Block, Swiftech MCR-120 Radiator

This is the difficult part: To duplicate the results the THW techs achieved, I will need a water-cooled setup. A water-cooling setup makes sense both for the overclocking aspect and the fact that it will reduce overall noise. This will be my first attempt at a water-cooled computer, and where I am seeking the most advice. I chose these components because they all had good reviews, and they all appeared compatible with my hardware. The Lian-Li case was a relatively simple choice, Lian-Li is known for making high-quality cases that combine aesthetics with intuitive design. Also, this particular model is small enough to fit into an entertainment center.

Drives & Sound: Seagate 7200.9 300GB HDD, Samsung 16X DVDRW, Diamond XS71DDL 7.1 Channel Sound Card

I chose basic components by good manufacturers with good reviews.

Issues
Compatibility: Is 500W going to be adequate? Will all of this junk actually work together? From what I've read, this should be relatively easy to assemble. Then again, the first time is never easy.
Space: Will the Mini-ATX case be able to accommodate the cooling hardware and still keep good circulation? One Idea I did have was to mount the radiator and shroud on the outside of the case, over the rear 120mm fan. I would have to make sure that the rear fan is the exhaust and run a long tube out one of the PCI slots, but I believe this will provide a better interior temperature and help with space constraints.
Liquid Cooling Accessories: As far as tubing and fittings go, I was going to scavenge out of my local hardware store to save money. I was concerned about tubing size, though, but it looked like 10x8 mm would fit the bill. For the fasteners, I was just going to pick up some of the kind you see used in car radiators (worm drive, if I've got my terminology right). For the resivour, I was going to find a fitting to make a t-line. I'm sure I can find something that will work, but I would appreciate advice on where to start.
VGA Overclocking: This is a new area to me, but if I figure I'm going to water-cool my CPU, might as well do the video card as well. And if it's water-cooled, why not overclock it? I was wondering if any manufacturers' cards overclocked better or easier than XFX's.
Improvements: I might be able to scrounge for another $100 or so into this system, and I was unsure of where to put it. The main choices in my mind are either a) An extra GB of memory, or b) an upgrade to a 7900GT video card.
Silly Question: Are there any foreseeable problems if I glue some rubber feet on the side of the case and keep it lying down?

Wow, this post is a lot longer than I meant it to be. I haven't bought any of this stuff yet, and I probably won't for a little while. I know the AM2 CPU's are out soon, and I may switch the motherboard and CPU if they are well-received. What I'm hoping is that someone else may have a similar idea, or even use this exact build, and then post in this forum so I might learn from their experience. I don't have a whole lot of money to throw at a computer project, but I feel overclocking is a great way to get the most out of my hard-earned $$$.

tekzone

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Compatibility: Is 500W going to be adequate? Will all of this junk actually work together? From what I've read, this should be relatively easy to assemble. Then again, the first time is never easy.

>> 500 Watts will definently be more then sufficient. I have an Athlon64, a Radeon 9500Pro, 4 Hard drives and 2 optical drives running on a 400 watts perfectly stable

Space: Will the Mini-ATX case be able to accommodate the cooling hardware and still keep good circulation? One Idea I did have was to mount the radiator and shroud on the outside of the case, over the rear 120mm fan. I would have to make sure that the rear fan is the exhaust and run a long tube out one of the PCI slots, but I believe this will provide a better interior temperature and help with space constraints.

>> Negative. Mini-ATX is WAYYYY too small to accomodate easily a water cooling kit I'm afraid. It is already not so easy to do so in a Medium Tower. It may work but I would'nt count on it.

Improvements: I might be able to scrounge for another $100 or so into this system, and I was unsure of where to put it. The main choices in my mind are either a) An extra GB of memory, or b) an upgrade to a 7900GT video card.

>> The video card definently or maybe in high quality speakers?

Silly Question: Are there any foreseeable problems if I glue some rubber feet on the side of the case and keep it lying down?

>> Huh, I really don't think so but I would lay it motherboard up because I have noticed that some fans can act up a little bit if you put them upside down and you wouldn't want that to happen to your CPU fan, would you? Else then this little problem, There is no reason for which you would have a problem with it. Consider buying a case that is made to in this position?

About the video card, I would strongly suggest a Creative Audigy 2XS or X-Fi. Else then that, I do not recommend Asus boards as I have had so much worries with the 2 that I bought... while with the 10 MSI boards that I have set up, I have a perfectly NO problem.

oshox

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Well, it seems the case is going to make or break this machine. Now, "Mini Tower" and "Mid Tower" seem to mean different things to different manufacturers. The Lian Li case seems as big as many Mid Towers from other companies. The dimensions for this case are listed as 19.3" H x 17.8" D x 8.3" W. How big will I need?
I've never done a water-cooled build, but it seems that being crowded with tubing isn't going to matter too much. Also, I was planning to fix the radiator on the outside and the pump could sit outside, too. It will require some creative wiring/tubing, but should help with heat & space.
If someone would recommend a better case for this build, I'd appreciate it. I am planning on having the computer on it's side, but I haven't found a desktop ATX case that has a spacious inside or decent fans. Also, this is going into an entertainment center, so it needs to be on the small side. Mostly, it can't be too deep.
Man, I can't wait to have this thing.