PNY 6600 AGP / Viewsonic vx2025wm monitor - No DVI out

gpatter310

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I just built a new computer and have hit a problem. The DVI output will work with an Analog converter on it but as a straight dvi to dvi the monitor gets no signal (or the graphic card can't see the monitor). I have the latest drivers for both the monitor and card but am stuck using the vga output.

At one point I cleared the CMOS and it actually started working but after a power down it stopped and I have not been able to make it happen again. The MB is a Foxconn P4M8p7ma. Had many odd occurences while attempting to make this work including losing the ability to get the nvidia driver to work at the 1680-1050 resolution. I was only able to fix this by doing a restore point back to the time I had it working but still did not get the digital signal back.

This is also the second 6600 card I tried as a BFG card did the same thing.

I was going to flash the bios by the flash program had a hardware lock on it and I could not find the jumper.

Also when I put in the old 6800 (first gen that never worked right) the DVIs there is now broken as well. The DVI port was working fine before I switched the card.

These things only happen on Fridays after tech support closes.

Thanks for any help.

Leetorts

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I had the same problem called viewsonic 4 times finally working
Plug in both dvi and vga cable into video card and monitor
turn on computer (boot to windows fully)
shut down computer
unplug vga cable
leave dvi alone
unplug monitor 10 sec
turn on computer
walla

GotNoNick

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
shut down computer
unplug vga cable
leave dvi alone
unplug monitor 10 sec
turn on computer
walla

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my new Viewsonic vx2025wm keeps telling me "no signal" from the DVI output of my GeForce 6800. I knew the DVI input on the monitor wasn't defective (at least not completely), because I was finally able to get it to work on another machine (Mac Powerbook).

I saw the above post, and said to myself, "Yeah, right. That's gonna work. Maybe I should do a little dance at the same time too. Sacrifice a chicken. Light some candles."

However, having reached the point of desperation (and just moments from heading back to the store), I decided to try it anyway.

IT WORKED!

I almost dropped over from shock. And I didn't even have to do the little dance. :D

Thanks for this mysterious solution to a really annoying little "eccentricity".

[Note: No chickens were harmed in the implementation of this solution.]

georgeg

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I am having this same problem. I almost returned the monitor whenI first got it but then it just started to work "magically" so I kept the monitor. Now the DVI port has stopped working again, much to my dismay. Doing a search on the internet turns up a *lot* of people having this same problem, although most people haven't made the link to Viewsonic. In fact, you are the only one that I have found who had a solution.

My problem is that it's not working for me. I just wanted to verify order of operations and be very clear. Here is what I tried (and some variants):

Boot the computer with both cables connected.
The monitor is now in Analog mode and funcitoning.
Shutdown the computer.
Disconnect the VGA cable (from just the computer, the monitor, or both?)
Turn off the monitor.
Unplug the monitor.
Wait 10 seconds
Plug the monitor back in
Turn on the monitor
Turn on the computer

Is this accurate, because I couldn't get it to work?

Thanks,
-George

keo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Unfortunately I have encountered the same problems as listed in this (and many) forum(s). That is I have a ViewSonic VX2025wm and when I boot via the DVI cable I get the ‘no signal’ message displayed on the screen and nothing else. I thought I would share my experiences as I was never able to get mine to work (spent about 8 hours trying) and in the end I had to return mine for replacement. It should be noted that I was always able to get the LCD to display via the d-sub connection. I was also able to get the LCD to display via the DVI cable if I booted into Windows with another LCD via the DVI cable, then swapped to the VX2025wm. However I was not able to get it to boot via the DVI cable when the VX2025wm was connected.

Just for the record I have a XFX 7800GTX OC 256MB 450Mhz / 1.25Ghz. What I thought I would do is list out all the possible fixes I was able to find for this problem in the one place for your easy reference. As I said I was not able to get any of these to work and had to return my LCD for replacement. However I have seen on various forums that people have had differing levels of success with these fixes. I wish you all the best, however if like me you get to the end of this list and still no luck, I strongly recommend returning your LCD as it’s probably faulty (mine was). The replacement I received is now working fine from the DVI port.

One last thing I should also point out is that I have seen many people asking whether or not it makes any difference if you connect via d-sub or DVI. Although I can’t say from a technical point of view I can say that from my point of view the LCD preforms better via DVI. I noticed a clearer picture and faster fps via the DVI (this could just be my imagination but I thought I’d share anyway). So I recommend going to the effort of getting your LCD to display via the DVI, don’t just settle for the d-sub.

Possible fixes for the ‘no signal’ problem encountered when booting via the DVI cable on the VX2025wm:

• Try the LCD of a different system just to ensure it’s not your system (very unlikely but best to check).

• Try a different DVI cable.

• Check that you have no bent pins in either end of your DVI cable.

• Ensure your DVI cable is secured tightly via the screws. At both the video card and LCD ends.

• Plug in both the DVI cable and d-sub cable, boot up into Windows completely, then use the OSD from the LCD to change the input from Analogue to Digital. Shutdown (do not touch the DVI cable), once shutdown completely, turn off the LCD, remove the d-sub cable and start up your system. This fix has worked for most people.

• Try turning off the LCD and your system unit at the wall (obviously make sure your system is shutdown first). Then turn on the LCD and system to drain all the power from both units. Leave it for a few seconds (also try a few minutes if it doesn’t work the first time), then turn them back on at the wall and power them both up. This fix seams to have worked for most.

• Reseat your video card.

• Reset you CMOS.

• Try factory resetting your screen by holding down the 2 button when you push the power button. Once the screen comes on bring up the OSD (press 1). You will now see an extra option in the menu, this will allow you to go to the service menu, it will be an ‘F’. Select the ‘F’ from the OSD, you are now in the service menu, select factory reset. This will take a few seconds and then your screen will turn off. Shutdown your system, then turn the LCD back on and start your system.

• You can also try the DVI_Recover tool (google search for it) which seams to have worked for some. I wouldn’t recommend this as it’s made for Del LCDs. It also wipes your serial number out of your screens internal memory (It won’t show up in the OSD menu anymore which may affect warranty). However some people have had results with this tool so give it a go if you’re desperate (I recommend sending your unit back rather than using this tool).

One last note, if you do end up getting it working, or you get a replacement and it works via DVI, one other problem you may encounter which I did was the following.

When I turned my system on it displays via the DVI however when it starts to load Windows the screen goes blank and a message is displayed saying ‘out of range’. This is easily fixed I found by booting into Windows in VGA mode (Press F8 after POST and before Windows loads, from the menu select VGA mode). Once you are booted into Windows in VGA mode, simply go to ‘add remove programs’, select your Nvidia drivers (I guess this would be the same for ATI cards but I’m not sure) and uninstall the display driver. Reboot and Windows should display fine now. Once Windows has finished loading, reload the latest Nvida drivers for your video card, then load the drivers for your LCD. Select the resolution and refresh rate you want, etc and then reboot. Your screen should now be working correctly, my certainly is.

I hope this has helped and if like me you’re unlucky enough to have one of the screens with the DVI problem, rest assured there is a light at the end of the tunnel. One way or another (either via the suggested fixes or replacement) you should be able to get this screen to work for you.

Thanks

keo

GotNoNick

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Minor addendum: I ended up having to return my first VX2025, but not for the reasons of this thread. After I got it working on the DVI, it worked fine for a few weeks, then suddenly developed an odd sort of interference band. It was a strange pattern about 2-3 inches wide, about 6 inches over from the left, running from top to bottom. It was there no matter what I used to drive the monitor (tried several computers, both analog and digital).

Returned it for a replacement which is still working fine.

The good news is that I didn't have to go through the song/dance routine to get the new monitor to work on DVI. I just plugged it in and it worked. Perhaps because there is some sort of interaction between the monitor and digital side of the video card, and it was already "primed" with the first song/dance?

I don't know, but I'm not going to be pulling anything out to experiment. Will carefully leave everything in working order. :)

shut down computer
unplug vga cable
leave dvi alone
unplug monitor 10 sec
turn on computer
walla

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my new Viewsonic vx2025wm keeps telling me "no signal" from the DVI output of my GeForce 6800. I knew the DVI input on the monitor wasn't defective (at least not completely), because I was finally able to get it to work on another machine (Mac Powerbook).

I saw the above post, and said to myself, "Yeah, right. That's gonna work. Maybe I should do a little dance at the same time too. Sacrifice a chicken. Light some candles."

However, having reached the point of desperation (and just moments from heading back to the store), I decided to try it anyway.

IT WORKED!

I almost dropped over from shock. And I didn't even have to do the little dance. :D

Thanks for this mysterious solution to a really annoying little "eccentricity".

[Note: No chickens were harmed in the implementation of this solution.]

GotNoNick

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Sigh... I just made the mistake of fiddling with my monitor connections, and reconnected the analog cable. Now everything is totally screwed up again.

And the magic booting-unplugging-repluging dance is no longer doing the trick.

And to make it even worse, for some reason now even the analog is messed up because my system doesn't recognize the monitor at all, and even after forcibly re-installing the monitor driver, it still doesn't list the correct display resolution as an option, so everything is all distorted and messed up.

DVI connection doesn't work at all.

Analog resolutions messed up.

I'm about at my wit's end with this mysterious and aggravating behavior! I don't know what to try next!

WinBlood

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I had the same problem with my eVGA GeForce 7800 GT and vx2025wm... I tried the procedure and it worked. georgeg: Don't press the power button, just unplug the power cord, wait and replug.

Here is what I remember I did before I got the problem:
I put my system in standby mode, which shut down everything except the RAM of course. I turned off the monitor after the PC shut down because it shuts down quite fast for standby.

When I came back, a few hours later, I turned on the PC, then the monitor.

At this point, Windows did not recognize the monitor and I had weird resolution options (like 768 x 1024, 1200 x 1600). Portrait resolutions... but no 1680 x 1050. I rebooted, and the digital input stopped working.

It may be related with PC standby mode.

GotNoNick

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I finally called ViewSonic. Spent an *hour* with tech support, and they basically just led me through about 5 different permutations of the unplug/reboot/plug/unplug/reboot/whatever dance. Completely to no avail. They actually gave me an RMA number.

I had the monitor all boxed up and ready to go. Then I remembered about another old computer in a closet, and when I pulled it out, discovered it had a DVI out on it. So, I hooked it up and plugged in the monitor, and it just came right on. No fuss, no muss.

I then moved the DVI cable back over to my main computer, and the digital works fine again.

So, it does seem to be a problem on *both* ends (the viewsonic AND the nvidia).

The lesson learned: Once you get it working, DON'T MESS WITH IT.

jackel2

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
shut down computer
unplug vga cable
leave dvi alone
unplug monitor 10 sec
turn on computer
walla

OMG. this was driving me nuts! my digital input died on me last week, have been using the analog input since....came across this fix on a google search....

woked like a charm....geforce 7950gt, viewsonic vx2025wm, kubuntu feisty 7.04

thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D

jackel2

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
yeah, mine has the OSD to choose between analog and digital. trouble was that the digital (which was all i have used since purchasing this monitor about a year ago) suddenly would not post. screen said "no signal".

i tried a plain old pci /vga video card and that worked. i then dug up a vga to dvi adapter and tried my geforce 7950 again....that worked, so i knew the problem was not my video card, but the digital input of the monitor.

i then hooked up both the vga (with the adapter on the video card) and dvi cables at the same time and used the OSD to switch over to digital.....the monitor would switch back to analog automatically. the digital just refused to work. if i unplugged the vga and left just the digital attached... it was back to "no signal"

i lived with the vga hooked up (yuck!) for about a week until i happened upon this thread the other day. followed the steps here, unplugged the monitor for 10 seconds and....abra-kadabra, the digital is working fine again! 8)

blackgold888

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I get the strong impression from reading these posts that the problem might be Screen related than Video card. I'll have to try some of your ideas.

If you do get a blank screen but also the login tune then all is not lost, just hit TAB 4 times, ENTER once, down arrow twice and enter again .. and wait. you have just logged off. Restart your computer and you'll find it works but only in low resolution mode (max 1078 * 768). Now you can try setting your monitor etc.

So many people with this related problem.

dembala78

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Guys!
I can't beleive, the procedure really WORKS ! This is insane...

I was wondering if only unplugging the monitor for more than 10 secs would solve the problem...
I noticed that after unplugging, the led goes off only after a couple of seconds.
Are we dealing with some electrical phenomenon here?
I made the experience with my Gigabyte 8600GT video board that the screen had green pattern on 3d images and it remained so until I completely turned off my PC and truned back on. Simple resets didn't help.

Anyway I'm glad I didn't have to return my monitor after more than 1 year, thanks very much for the procedure above, appreciate it.

markstar450

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Woo hoo!! Thank you thank you :bounce:

It worked!!! :lol:

I have been trying to solve this display problem with my Viewsonic VG2230wm for over a week now. I have even formatted the hard drive and done a clean install of windows vista several times, and none of it worked. I have done some research on the net, and this seems to be a fairly common problem. :pt1cable:

The fix I used was a lot more simple than the connecting two cables method. :sol:

My graphics cards only have DVI connections, so I thought that I would try to power down the computer then unplug the monitor for 10 seconds. I did this, and when I plugged it in again and restarted the computer everything was as it should be, I was able to select the native resolution again, instead of just 1280 by 960

Thank you again :hello:

edrjazz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
:bounce: the procedures listed in this thread are excellent.

I have an Asus EN6800GT SLI Graphics card on the ASUS A8N32 motherboard using the ViewSonic VX2025 DVI. Previously I had a Samsung 21" VGA installed. worked fine for 6 months; Well the Viewsonic went blank.

The reset process TAB 4x Enter 1x Down arrow2x Enter 1x works.
The original anomaly occured from going directly into standby mode.
I noticed that the machine had started on its own some time later
and the display was greatly magnified to something like a 2 x magnification, performed a shut down and restart to find the blank screen with no signal.

so every hint listed in this thread has been beneficial to me particularly regarding the BIOS configuration and all the assorted stories pertaining to the viewsonic interconnect with the high end graphics cards. absolutely great website. thanks to all the contributors in this thread.

E

thanksdvi

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
I want to add my thanks to the solution posted here. My new monitor was only working with the vga connection until I followed the instructions, and now the dvi works! However, I also connected with a different dvi cable than the one included with the monitor, and I think that made a difference, too. So, I'd recommend trying that as well as the instructions to connect both, unplug the monitor, and then power up.

Thanks again!

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Everyone....

The problem you are experiencing has been an issue with older Nvidia cards and the video card bios that corrputs the monitor's EDID code, if I worded it correctly. I have had the same monitor running on the 8800 GTS series since day one (supposedly the problem was with the 6000 and 7000 cards). I know that this may be tedious indeed, but I have kept up to date on the following post (hundreds of pages long). I believe that the EDID of the monitor gets corrupt by something in the Nvidia card. Around page 40 or so of the post, someone posted a fix that Dell came up with because some of their monitors had the same issues with the Nvidia cards. There is a bootable fix that resets the EDID and then write protects it so the blank screen issue won't happen again. Read here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1040780

I cut straight to the chase for you. I hope this helps

Bob

dgptimmins

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
There is an issue with the viewsonic VX2025wm LCD display. The DVI goes into sleep mode and doesn't wake up. Here is the fix.

Turn off your Viewsonic VX2025wm and your computer. Unplug the power from your Viewsonic VX2025wm and then press the power button to drain the rest of the electricity. Plug your monitor back in. Turn on your monitor and then your computer.

I have 3 of the VX2025monitors that I bought refurbished from Viewsonic for less than 1/4 of what I paid for my first one. This worked everytime and still does because even the ones I directly from viewsonic still do the same thing.

urizza

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hi, I have VX2235wm-5 series dual monitor.
I'm having a same problem which the other monitor says "No Signal"-Digital. I'm very confused with the procedures on this thread. I'm sorry. :(
Kindly someone give me the step by step procedure on how to resolved my problem. :(
I tried some of those to no avail.
Any help with you guys will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

G

I have a the 'no signal' problem on my viewsonic VX2025wm and i can say that dgptimmins method worked for me. Thanks!

drethedog

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks a bunch everyone. I unplugged both the monitor and computer waited about five minutes and got everything functioning again. Can't believe I had to reinstall windows 4 times for this solution... well at least I have a clean slate to work from now!

andyong

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Have been trawling the net for ages looking for the solution as I had the same thing except on a Samsung 2343BW. Boot up in safe mode and all works fine through DVI. However boot up normally and you see as far as loading Windows 7, or whatever OS you are using, then as soon as it gets into windows you lose the signal. Also everything works fine if I use a DVI>VGA adapter but the image is signaificantly worse than if I use DVI digital. Anyways to cut a long story short the problem is that through some mechanism (in my case I had a gfx card failure that caused this) the EDID data on the EEPROM chip in your monitor has become corrupted. You will need the full registered version of a tool called Powerstrip made by Entechtaiwan to attempt to correct this. The trial version doesn't have the feature required to attempt this.

When it's installed and registered shutdown your PC. Make sure you have connected the faulty monitor only using the DVI digital cable to the graphics card. Disconnect other monitors if you are using more than one. Boot up into safe mode (keep pressing F8 while booting up to get the option to boot into safe mode).

Start up Powerstrip and right click on the System tray icon. Go to Options > Monitor Information. It will probably just say the manufacturer is Microsoft and the Model ID is Default Monitor or something instead of your actual monitor details. At the bottom where it says Options select the option to Update EDID. Follow the instructions to detect an EEPROM device, and hopefully it will detect you have corrupt headers and it will ask if you want to correct them. Select yes and follow the prompts. At the end it will ask you to restart. Hopefully you should be all good after the restart.

I used version 3.83 of Powerstrip for this and originally received an error saying "An EDID EEPROM was not found" when scanning for the EEPROM but this is because this version didn't have support for updating the EDID on a Geforce 275. Tried the same procedure on a geforce 6600GT on my old PC and it worked perfectly.

If this doesn't sort your problem you can try and locate a full EDID export for your monitor and use the same procedure to upload it but there are some additional steps you need to know doing it this way so read the full article that helped me resolve this at http://blog.komeil.com/2008/06/fixing-edid-dvi-monitors-no-signal.html