Another stupid crossfire question

ondrugs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
so i want to get a new system in a few months and am planning to build a crossfire system. the only this is that i don't have £700 (2x X1900XT cards) for two graphics cards.
my plan was to buy the crossfire card first and then add a standard card later. what i am not sure of is if the crossfire card will actually work on its own. the reason i want to get it first is because i'm not sure how long they will be around. apparently there is a shortage of X1800 crossfire cards already!
another thing i am confuse about, is that i was under the impression that you could just buy two identical late model ATI cards and just hook them up with a crossfire cable; when did this whole crossfire card come in?! 8O

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I just got my Asus A8R32-MVP on friday. I opted for one x1900xt (and that was pushing my budget) . I keep hearing that the 3200 chipset will eventually do away with mastercards, and I think they already have done away with the crossfire dongle. If not yet, soon. My theory is that I'll be extremely tickled with the single card long enough that either 1) it will last until DX10 cards are cheaper or 2) I'll be able to get another like card for cheaper to hold me over.

ondrugs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Rather than buy the two X1900XT cards why not just get a single one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101908

It's just about the most powerful card on eBuyer, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than any Crossfire setup.

Only go for SLi/Crossfire once you have one of the absolute best cards in your budget and the rest of the system is maxed out.

i've been reading so many reviews lately and on more than one occasion it's been said that the difference btw the XT and XTX is marginal. you're right, it is cheaper than a crossfire solution. i just want to build everything at once. the onlt thing i want to add in future is memory and hard drives.
my eyes are definitely bigger than my wallet, which i why i am having to wait a few months - i need to save up.

i want to hear more about this "dongle free" ATI setup though!! tell us more!

RichPLS

Champion
This Card... mated with a A8R32-MVP will give you the best performance available now in a single card, more than sufficient for the latest games... and when you feel it is not enough, you can add a CF card then, or upgrade to a future DX-10 top line card then... that way you get the most for your dollars, and still have enough 3D horsepower for current gaming now...

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I just got my new rig built , A8R32-MVP, Opt 170, Gigabyte x1900xt ($435 @ Newegg). I'm idling around 34c according to my coolpanel2 temp probe. I haven't loaded it yet, but so far so good.

zarzar

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The CF version of the X1900 will work on its own. No problem. Then you can buy another normal XT version later.

You can buy two identical X1300/X1600 cards and just hook them up in crossfire (no need for master CF cards)

For the X1800 and X1900 series you need a master card and a normal card for full performance . The Xpress 3200 chipset does not change that.

http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Here is a slave card that you can use in your crossfire configuration. It is an HIS X1900XTX with the new IceQ-3 cooling solution. It costs $542.69+shipping and comes with a $30 mail in rebate. It's stays cooler than the master Sapphire card you are soon hoping to purchase and it's cheaper. I'll do my best to find a master card just like that.

ondrugs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I just got my new rig built , A8R32-MVP, Opt 170, Gigabyte x1900xt ($435 @ Newegg). I'm idling around 34c according to my coolpanel2 temp probe. I haven't loaded it yet, but so far so good.

i know this is the wrong thread and off the topic. but what is the difference between and Opteron and an X2 processor? and what does "1 way" and "1-2 way" mean with regards to Opterons?

firepyro555

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
for crossfire as long as you have teh same gpus it should be fine, except for the 1800's and the 1900's, for the higher end GPU's, you need to have a CF Edition card, the only thing that the 3200 Chipset changes is that for the 1300's and the 1600's cf will work with Crossfire ready cards