lennydude

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I know this may be a "dumb" question but I want to make sure of things before I waste my money.

I have a ASUS P4C800 Deluxe board with 4 memory slots. Right now I am only using slot 0 with 1 each 512mb Kingston chip. The other 3 slots are empty.

What I would like to do is order a "kit" of 2 each 512mb Kingston chips ( 1 gb ) and put those in the motherboard making my total memory 1536mb. Can I do this?

Can I have 3 slots full? Should I move the 2 new sticks of 512mb to slot 0 and slot 1 and then move the other stick to slot 2?

Not sure about this and like I said.................HATE to buy things twice if you know what I mean :)

Thanks VERY much for any help :)

Lenny

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
You're better to have a dual channel memory setup. It performs better.
Slots 0 & 2 (blue ones) with a matched pair or memory modules.
Either 2x512mb or 2x1gig, depends on what you use your computer for.

2x512mb is fine for most day to day stuff and most games.
Some games and media editing programs work better with more.

If you are going to get more ram... always make sure you can get dual-channel operation. What you are proposing will not achieve this. The only way dual channel mode can be achieved, is with an even number of ram sticks and the sticks must be the same size. Single channel mode signifcantly degrades performance, so get 2 sets of that 1GB kit and keep (or sell) the original stick you had in there, or get 1 kit and leave the original stick out so you're left with 1gb.

Edit: You could also go the route Datman suggested. Either:

1. Get 1 kit and go 2 x 512MB for 1GB.

2. Get 2 kits and go 4 x 512MB for 2GB.

3. Get 1 kit with 2 x 1GB for 2GB total.

One way or another, the orginal 512MB stick you had in there is out of the picture.

lennydude

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Awesome guys....................thanks VERY much.

I will try the 2 x 512mb and do the dual channel 1gb first. If it is indeed a noticable improvement then I will get another 1gb.

I am putting together a new machine and want this one to last awhile longer and want to do some inexpensive upgrades to make it more marketable when it comes time to sell :):)

Again...............thanks :):)

Lenny