Sign in with
Your question

Need help on a new build

Last response: in Systems
May 21, 2006 5:50:59 PM

Hi,

What do you this of this configuration ? I will use it mainly for gaming. I don’t want to overclock

ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD 3800+ X2 Dual-core Processor
ZALMAN Cnps 9500-CU LED
ASUS EN7900GT TOP 256MB PCI-express 7900 GT TOP
WESTERN DIGITAL 74GB 8MB SATA150 10000RPM Raptor
ANTEC P180EU Performance Case
ANTEC Phantom Fanless 500WATT
CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-FI Music
+
Memory
Dvd
Monitor

As this build is rather expense I need your help on how I could best save some money. Some questions

1) Are the components compatible (motherboard, graphic card, cpu cooler, etc)?
2) Case and PSU are expensive. There must be cheaper alternatives ? What about the ANTEC Sonata II case ? What about the ANTEC NEO HE 550WATT or ANTEC Truepower II 550WATT psu ? Which’s the better of the two ? It’s important that the case and psu are quiet
3) Memory: don’t know much about that. What do you recommend ? I need 2 Gb.
4) Is the CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-FI Music a good sound card ?? And which speakers do you recommend
5) Monitor: any recommendations ? What about the SAMSUNG 940BF (but you can't adjust its height)

Greetz

More about : build

May 21, 2006 7:55:13 PM

1) Are the components compatible (motherboard, graphic card, cpu cooler, etc)?

>> Looks perfectly fine

2) Case and PSU are expensive. There must be cheaper alternatives ? What about the ANTEC Sonata II case ? What about the ANTEC NEO HE 550WATT or ANTEC Truepower II 550WATT psu ? Which’s the better of the two ? It’s important that the case and psu are quiet

>> As far as silence goes, I am fully satisfied with a Forton Bluestorm and very cheap case. I think the case plays a rather little role in the silence equation. Sonata II is a very good case and looks nice too. Also, if you want silence, don't forget to buy a Zalman for your video card. Standard coolers are most often noisy.

>> I buy Samsung Original and it has always worked fine.

4) Is the CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-FI Music a good sound card ?? And which speakers do you recommend the logitech Z5300 or the Itrigue if you're going for 2.1.

>> The X-Fi is a fantastic card. As far as speakers I would recomment the the logitech Z5300 or the Itrigue if you're going for 2.1.

5) Monitor: any recommendations ? What about the SAMSUNG 940BF (but you can't adjust its height)

>> Samsung monitors are a safe value, you can trust them. Not only do they work very well, they look incredibly good.

One last note, as always, I recommend you stay away from Asus and go for MSI. I have had 2 Asus and they have given me hell while I have set up 10 MSI boards and they have been perfect !
May 22, 2006 3:02:32 AM

I also would reccomend 2 GB's of ram, to keep yourself up to date in the remote future. Also, do you really need that SLI motherboard? I would take a single PCI-E Nforce 4 Mobo over sli anyday if i wasnt going to use 2 cards. Just get an Asus A8N-E. I can't reccomend that motherboard enough, ive had one for 3 months and 2 of my friends have that board and it has shown us nothing but what a motherboard should show us, good results. Anyway, if you want that 7900 GT i would DEFENATLY reccomend buying an aftermarket cooler, regardless of noise. Those are known to have heating issues just from lack of heatsink. Get a Zalman heatsink with Ram heatsinks as well, make sure to use Artic Silver. Hmmm, find yourself a decent case on www.newegg.com and use thier rating system to find out the quality, its the best way to go. Other than that your system seems fit.
Related resources
May 22, 2006 3:46:46 AM

Quote:

ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe

Good, but expensive mother board. This is for SLI and since you are only using one GPU you don't need it. The Asus A8N-SLI Premium is cheaper, but again it is an SLI motherboard that you do not seem to need.

The Asus A8N-E is a better choice since it is about half the price of your original choice. Replace the heatsink fan with the Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge heatsink to eliminate fan noise.

Quote:

ZALMAN Cnps 9500-CU LED

Good (noisy too).

The Scythe Ninja & 120mm fan is better, quieter and cheaper. In a casse with decent airflow it can cool the X2 3800+ (not overclocked) passively. If you are not using any intake and exhaust fans, then you need to use the supplied fan.

Quote:

ASUS EN7900GT TOP 256MB PCI-express 7900 GT TOP

Get the Zalman VF900 to cool it, also quieter than stock HSF.

Quote:

WESTERN DIGITAL 74GB 8MB SATA150 10000RPM Raptor

Fast, loud, and small. Oh yeah, hot too. not to mention expensive. Go for a 7200RPM HDD that will be cheaper, and higher capacity. To keep noise down get nothing larger than 250GB and either the Samsun Spinpoint (quietest drive available) or a Seagate (next quietest).

Quote:

ANTEC P180EU Performance Case

Antec P150 Case & 430w PSU. This is cheaper and comes with a PSU that is enough to power your system. The NeoHE PSU is pretty quiet, but until recently has had problems with Asus motherboards. The problem was fixed back in February.

You can suspend up to two HDDs to reduce vibration noise. This will cut the capacity from 4 to 2 HHDs in the HDD cage.

Quote:

ANTEC Phantom Fanless 500WATT

Good, but it actaully does have a fan for when things gets too hot. I prefer the Seasonic S12 series. They have very quiet fans, only rivaled by, but not beaten, by the Antec NeoHE in terms of silence. The Seasonic S12 430 is enough for your system. But if you want 500w of power, then get the S12 500.

Also very efficient (up to 85% efficient, meaning less heat), very stable and reliable.

Of course, if you buy the P150, you will not need to buy a PSU.

Quote:

Corsair is my standard recommendation.
May 22, 2006 3:53:10 AM

I say go with a Opteron and dump the X2 3800, same processor but more L2 Cache and they seem to do better with overclocking, even thought you think that you wont overclock, you probably will, i thought i wasnt going to when i built my system but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages if there really were any, plus it comes with a real good stock cooler so you can save the money on the Zalman 9500 cooler and get a better processor. :wink:
May 22, 2006 7:45:27 PM

hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions ! Of course I now have some more questions :lol: 

Quote:
One last note, as always, I recommend you stay away from Asus and go for MSI

Quote:
I would take a single PCI-E Nforce 4 Mobo over sli anyday if i wasnt going to use 2 cards. Just get an Asus A8N-E

I never had an Asus mobo ... what about these Asrocks motherboards I keep on hearing about. Are these any good ? The Asrock 939SLI32-eSATA2 is SLI and still cheaper than the Asus A8N-E. If not, which ones of MSI would you recommend.

Quote:
Anyway, if you want that 7900 GT i would DEFENATLY reccomend buying an aftermarket cooler, regardless of noise

Are there any cards (nvidia 7900GT chipset) that don't need an aftermarket cooler ?

Quote:
To keep noise down get nothing larger than 250GB and either the Samsun Spinpoint (quietest drive available) or a Seagate (next quietest).

What about the Western Digital 250 Gb 16 Mb ?

Quote:
Of course, if you buy the P150, you will not need to buy a PSU

Been thinking about that but can't decide whether to go for the P150 or for the Sonata II which comes with SmartPower 2.0 450 watt

Quote:
The X-Fi is a fantastic card.

I don't know if there are any motherboard of which the onboard sound is quite ok. I don't want to spend lots of money on a set of speakers so maybe it's not worth purchasing a sound card (never had one) ??
!