Dell 720 Color Printer: Lexmark Cartridges?

My Dell computer came with this (cheap) Dell color printer #720. It
certainly looks like a Lexmark printer but I have read somewhere that Dell
printers were not compatible with Lexmark cartridges.

Is that true? Would anyone have used Lexmark cartridges in their Dell 720
printer? I would prefer to use Lexmark cartridges as they are more readily
available and probably cheaper. If I have to order cartrides from Dell for
the 720, I might as well buy another cheap Lexmark!

Thanks.

Dell 720:
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=OC720_RBP_DHS

Sylvain wrote:
> My Dell computer came with this (cheap) Dell color printer #720. It
> certainly looks like a Lexmark printer but I have read somewhere that
> Dell printers were not compatible with Lexmark cartridges.
>
> Is that true? Would anyone have used Lexmark cartridges in their
> Dell 720 printer? I would prefer to use Lexmark cartridges as they
> are more readily available and probably cheaper. If I have to order
> cartrides from Dell for the 720, I might as well buy another cheap
> Lexmark!
> Thanks.
>

> Dell 720:
> http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=OC720_RBP_DHS

Correct. Dell units are rebodged Lexmarks and will only take Dell tanks.
There is no such thing as a "cheap Lexmark" - the Z615 costs £25, but new
carts will set you back nearly three times that.

OTOH, spend £100+ on the printer and the tanks are £5 each.

on salads.

You mean there are more expensive printers that use less expensive tanks?

Would you have any examples? My primary printer is a Canon i860 and, like
the Dell, the tanks are fairly expensive too...

S.

Sylvain wrote:
> You mean there are more expensive printers that use less expensive
> tanks?
> Would you have any examples? My primary printer is a Canon i860 and,
> like the Dell, the tanks are fairly expensive too...
>
> S.

I should have added that there's no such thing as a good Lexmark either -
well a good Lexmark inkjet that is, their lasers are not bad.

1st Golden Rule of Printing - the more expensive the unit, the cheaper the
ink.

Example: - I have a Canon i9950 (cost, when new, £500) and the cartridges
are £6 each (or £32 for a set of 8). Compare that to the Z615 colour
cartridge which is roughly £30 and is tricolour, meaning that it's wasteful.
The printer itself can be bought for £25.

Tanks for the i850 are £6.50 each (or £24 for a set of four) which I do not
consider expensive - expensive is when a single cartridge costs more than
the printer.

on salads.

That is NOT ENTIRELY true. The Epson R1800, the wide carriage mate to
the R800, that competes with the i9900 is more expensive but the
cartridges are also more expensive.

measekite wrote:
> That is NOT ENTIRELY true. The Epson R1800, the wide carriage mate to
> the R800, that competes with the i9900 is more expensive but the
> cartridges are also more expensive.

I said that the definition of 'expensive' was where a single tank (or the
both together) cost more than the unit.

on salads.