Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Dell
  • Power
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
May 21, 2006 8:23:35 PM

I have a x1900xtx waiting to be installed. What will happen if my psu does not have enough power? Don't flame me, I have a dell, 350 watt psu, I hear it's good for 495 watts. What would happen if I try'd it. Waiting on my new psu to be delivered.

More about : happen

May 21, 2006 9:03:48 PM

If it's a fair bit insufficient, the system will just fail to turn over (likely either a quick flicker of "life" or just nothing at all). The sticky situation is when the power requirements are just about at the maximum output of the supply, in which case you may experience instability, especially when taxing the system.

It is not common for overtaxing the power supply to damage components other than the power supply, but since it does touch every piece of hardware, it is better to be safe then sorry . Use one of the many different power calculators online to get an idea of your system's requirements, and upgrade if necessary. Also, do not skimp if you will be upgrading, again as it will power every device inside your tower, get a reputable brand that will provide nice, clean, and stanble power, does wonders for many things from lowering noise coming from your soundcard to prolonging the life of your system.

Take care of your computer and it will take care of you.

Edit: Just re-read your post, yeah, you definately need a new power supply.
May 21, 2006 10:53:26 PM

as bmouring said... you will definitly need a new power supply and i agree completely.... for a new supply, consider:

Aerocool Zerodba 500W
Related resources
May 21, 2006 11:43:29 PM

you can get an Antec Truepower II 450W or 550W, both will be sufficient to run your system and they run about $69 and $80...Antec is highly regarded in reviews and in my experience have not caused any problems..
a b ) Power supply
May 22, 2006 2:05:10 AM

Quote:
I have a x1900xtx waiting to be installed. What will happen if my psu does not have enough power? Don't flame me, I have a dell, 350 watt psu, I hear it's good for 495 watts. What would happen if I try'd it. Waiting on my new psu to be delivered.

Don't know where you heard that. You need to buy a new PSU otherwise you might destroy your entire computer.

If you can afford to spend money on a X1900XTX then you should be able to afford a good or premium quality 450w - 500w PSU

Antec
Enermax
Fortron
Seasonic
May 22, 2006 4:23:52 AM

Are you puting thie 1900XTX into a dell pc? I presume the Dell comp is quite basic considering it use 350w.

The full potential of the GPU wont be used on a crap system......
May 22, 2006 5:00:19 AM

Quote:

If a GFA is severely underpowered, it can fail to provide any video at all. It might make it past the initial BIOS screen then die when entering Windows. As in: shut off.
May 27, 2006 9:05:52 PM

The X1900 in general is POWER HUNGRY. Don't install it unitl your new power supply comes. Your dell power supply can't deliver that much juice so it's better to be safe than sorry and wait for your new power supply.
May 27, 2006 9:13:39 PM

ok i dunno wtf other ppl told u but heres what will happen

it wont boot (usually)

u need to get a new PSU ANtec Smart Power 500w, Antec Truepower 480, 430w OR aNTEC 450w smart power

anything below prolly wont cut it
May 28, 2006 12:41:07 AM

The X1900XTX is the worst card to try to run on a skimpy power supply it eats up around 130w. Your psu definately needs to be replaced. Antec, Enermax, and OCZ make quality power supplies for good prices, around 500w should take care of you.
May 28, 2006 1:11:42 AM

i use the ocz modstream 520 with a 1900xt, and have never had a problem. it has good amps on the 12v, and is pretty cheap.
it also looks great, if you want to run it in a window case

but a dell 350w p/s will have a stroke trying to run that card!!
May 28, 2006 1:29:51 AM

try it and see what happens, it will not xplode!

Best,

3Ball

Antec Neo HE 550w
AMD 3700+ Sandy @ 2316mhz
Gigabyte K8N SLI Pro
Sapphire X1900XTX (665 / 775) actual!
(2x1024mb) Patriot Performance Mem (2.5-3-2-5) @ 420mhz
!Mobo Limiting OC!
May 28, 2006 1:34:08 AM

Quote:
i use the ocz modstream 520 with a 1900xt, and have never had a problem. it has good amps on the 12v, and is pretty cheap.

And that PS is still only $60 on Newegg after $20 MIR. Total bargain.
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2006 6:44:22 AM

Quote:
try it and see what happens, it will not xplode!

Yeah, it will not explode.

At best your PC will simply freeze.

More likely the PSU will short out and die.

Definitely within the realm of possiblity, thie PSU will die and destroy several components due to a power surge.

As Dirty Harry would say: "Well punk, do you feel lucky?"
May 28, 2006 8:34:12 AM

Quote:

Like one of the guys said, you might be just under the limit, but I had a PSU go bad on me once when I over-taxed it... It gave out a high-pitched whining noise that only sounded during graphic-intensive tasks. I was fine booting up and surfing the web, but the I started to notice during FPS games that the whining would start, and progressively get worse as I stressed the PSU more and more. Eventually it was so bad that it would shriek when I did something as simple as scroll down a long web page.. After swapping just about everything in my case, I found out it was the PSU causing the noise (it seems obvious now, but it was hard to pinpoint in a crowded system).

Just fyi.
May 28, 2006 9:52:48 AM

How can you afford a X1900XTX and not be able to afford a power supply?
May 28, 2006 1:45:05 PM

Quote:
hey dont listen to these guys
here is what could happen. if the power supply tries to provide power to the system but doesnt have enough power it will do one of two things. if it is the sparkle type it will try to deliver the voltage and can damage your drives if the voltage goes to low.
if it is a switching kind it will not power on the system and should not damage anything.

Actually, jaguarskx is giving good advice and his Dirty Harry comment sums it up well. Overmatched power supplies have taken out mobos, CPUs and more. Although many are reasonably incompetent, service techs at places like Best Buy do get to see many busted boxes and I've talked to the more informed techs for years about PS failure and its consequences.
May 28, 2006 2:16:01 PM

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/d...
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/s...

PC Power & Cooling make PSU's that fit into Dell computers.
Quote:
Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need?

Component Requirement
AGP Video Card 30W – 50W
PCI Express Video 100W – 150W
Average PCI Card 5W – 10W
DVD/CD 20W – 30W
Hard Drive 15W – 30W
Case/CPU Fans 3W (ea.)
Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM) 50W – 100W
RAM 15W per 1GB
Pentium III Processor 40W
Pentium 4 Processor 80W – 120W
AMD Athlon Processor 80W – 120W

For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)
May 28, 2006 5:00:33 PM

Quote:
For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)

Excellent stuff! When I see people estimate load and take it to ~100% of their proposed PS spec, I know that's not the best plan.
May 28, 2006 6:32:07 PM

Quote:

And that PS is still only $60 on Newegg after $20 MIR. Total bargain.

first off Mod Stream = only single 12v rail

2. its a 550w not 520w.

3, for that price u'd be better off with Antec
May 28, 2006 8:37:30 PM

Quote:
first off Mod Stream = only single 12v rail

2. its a 550w not 520w.

3, for that price u'd be better off with Antec

From the OCZ website, part number: OCZ52012U is 520W. My error, which you missed, is that the 520 watt PS is on sale for $77, not $60. The 450 watt PS is on sale for $60.

And I don't care if it's one 12V rail or twenty. I've worked with this PS and it has HUGE guts. Stable power is where it's at.

I used to be an Antec PS fan, then I had one die on me and take out a graphics card and HD. I saw a friend's gaming rig lose an Antec PS and with it the mobo and CPU. So I asked tech service guys and found that they see Antec's die much more than their perceived quality would suggest. Recently, before buying my son's OCZ 520, I called a couple of QC management guys that test RAM and asked them what PS's they use in their testing rigs and in those discussions, I heard loads of good things about the OCZ 520. I know Antecs have a great rep but I doubt that I'll ever buy another one. YMMV.
May 28, 2006 11:36:53 PM

Correct. OCZ is very good.

OCZ Power stream 520w is a very good model.

OCZ Modstream does not come in 520w versions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

thats 620w.

once again, OCZ is not widely known or bought. thats is why u dont know anyone who has a blown OCZ, on the other hand. That OCZ could not stand up to an Antec NeoHE 500w. which is 120w lower. The Antec NeoHE delivers 456W on the 3 x 12v rails it has VS the Mod streams 336w.

I agree OCZ probably makes good PSU's but in this case the Antec has the upperhand the Antec NeoHE 430w delivers 384W on its 12v rails thats more than the OCZ. So antec still wins.

Now iv never used an OCZ unit but im pretty god danm sure that any day 3 12v rails will beat 1 in stability. And if the price is evenly matched there is no thinking twice, who would get a single 12v rail over triple or atleast double.

I own a NeoHE 500w. i run 2 SATA HDD's X1900XT, AMD opty 146. 3 x 120mm fans 2 with LED's and 1 80mm fan w/ LED an optical drive.

also, u say stability sucks on Antec, im here to prove u wrong.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=455012

once again, never used an OCZ, but i know i dont need to. If antec offers me 100+ more wats on the 12v rails (the most important of the 3 rails) i will get their PSU.

my opinion, you are surely entitled to urs, im a fan of more rails. im sure 99% of people agree with me.
May 29, 2006 2:18:09 AM

Quote:
OCZ Power stream 520w is a very good model.

OCZ Modstream does not come in 520w versions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

thats 620w.

You can believe what you read on Newegg specs, or you can go to the website of the company that has it's name on the product:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/...

On that page, you'll find:

"The OCZ ModStream power supply family is the quietest, sleekest, most versatile PSU available today! The ModStream comes in 450W/520W configurations with 550W/620W peak loads; they are the ideal solution for PC-users desiring a high-quality mix of power and versatility in their system."

Note the bit about 520W configuration, then note your comment above where you said that the 520W is a good PS. Why do you think OCZ calls it the 520W? Still don't believe me? Look at lines 10 and 11 on the pdf spec sheet.

Quote:
once again, OCZ is not widely known or bought.

Really? I disagree.

Quote:
Now iv never used an OCZ

So you think you know enough to criticize them? Typical.

Quote:
unit but im pretty god danm sure that any day 3 12v rails will beat 1 in stability.

Based on what? I'd ather have one bomber rail than three flaky rails.

Quote:
I own a NeoHE 500w.

I'm glad you're happy with it. Look back and you'll see that I said: YMMV.

Quote:
also, u say stability sucks on Antec

Fullbuckinshiit! Show me where I said that.

Quote:
once again, never used an OCZ, but i know i dont need to.

That attitude speaks volumes. Experience means little in your world apparently.

Quote:
If antec offers me 100+ more wats on the 12v rails (the most important of the 3 rails) i will get their PSU.

Then why didn't you buy the PC Power and Cooling 1kw PS? It's got more 12V current capacity than your Antec.

Quote:
my opinion, you are surely entitled to urs, im a fan of more rails. im sure 99% of people agree with me.

I'm in favor of quality power supplies that don't eat up my components when they go up in flames. I got stung by Antec, a friend got stung by Antec, etc. Once bitten twice shy and all that. Like I mentioned earlier, what really drew me to the OCZ power supplies was talking to not one but two RAM QC managers that bought OCZ 520s when they were released and the units are still in use, zero failures. These units get run 24/7 and are run at a reasonably high load for long periods of time. Few home PCs are subjected to that kind of duty cycle. Sorry, but I'll trust them rather than you. Oh, and about rail preferences: my two more powerful PCs are quad-rail but rather than focus on the number of rails, I look at the whole picture. And since I ake PS failure very seriously, I look for a wide variety of info.
May 29, 2006 3:42:11 AM

ty very much for blowing everyone of my sentences out of context, if u read it all as one u may understand.

anyways

i do, why? because i looked at the image on newegg. It said that 26 Amp on that single 12v rail delivers 336w.

2nd i dont go to manufacturers websites they want u to buy their product why wouild they call their own product shity? so u use a biased website to prove me wrong, kudos :mrgreen:

also u implied that antec are not stable by saying that ur OCZ is rock stable after u got finished dissing ur Antec.

Quote:
OCZ is not widely known or bought.

its not, their PSU's arent where they get their huge profit, its their RAM. Also thats what i was trying to point out.lets say OCZ makes if 5,000 units and lets say 50 are bad, Antec will make 10,000 units and 100 will be bad. u got stuck with one of those 100.

Also im recommending the NeoHE 500w over the OCZ becasue of 1 reason which is pretty much the most importnat.

1. He has a power hungry system, Dell does not sell AMD, so hs prolly has a P4, 3.0 Ghz+ along with a power hungry X1900XT, he needs as much power off the 12v rails as possible.

also i dont wanna starta flame thread im point out that the Antec NeoHE 500w can beat out an OCZ Modstream 520w

on the contrary, the OCZ Powerstream 520w is very good, it'll kick Antec in the nuts becasue of the dual 12v rails.

Im sure u still dont think im right.
Ok, create a thread OCZ modstream 520w vs NeoHE 500w. NeoHE will win.
May 29, 2006 3:42:18 AM

I work at a computer building company in texas named Xtream Computers. We have in the past month recieved 6 computers who all had a power supply problem. 4 of these were OCZ power supplies and 2 of them were Ultra power supplies. Of the 4 OCZ, 3 of them had blown motherboard and hard drive when they went out. The other just took the vid card down with it. The ultra's did not take anything with them, but one did begin to smoke from what the customer told me.

My store uses all antecs in our comps other than requests and not once have we have had a comp returned to use with a power supply problem.

I myself use a Antec NeoHE 550w and I run the below system, and have never had any problems what so every unless I am somewhat overstable...if such a thing. lol! Im not saying you are wrong or lying about what you said...i am just stating that I have never seen or heard of problems with antec's and I have with OCZ, and with Antec being on a much larger scale, I believe that gives them more credit for selling more and having less failures.

Best,

3Ball

Antec Neo HE 550w
AMD 3700+ Sandy @ 2.65ghz (Arctic Freezer 64 Pro)
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra D
Sapphire X1900XTX (665 / 775) actual! (Accelro X2)
(2x1024mb) Patriot Performance Mem (3-3-2-5) @ 440mhz
(2x120gb) sata hard drives
Creative X-FI Sound Card
Lite-On DvD Rom
Lite-On Dual Layer DvD/RW
3x120mm Fans - 2x80mm fans
May 29, 2006 4:09:38 AM

Quote:
Datman mentioned PSUs that work with Dell PCs. LISTEN TO HIM. Dell uses proprietary hardware, meaning that some parts don't work with Dell PCs. That includes the PSU. Get one that works with Dells. Most won't.
For the last couple years at least, Dell has not used a proprietary power supply in their mini-tower, micro ATX chassis computers. I own a Dell Dimension 4500 from 2003, and it does not have a proprietary power supply. It's dimensions and its connectors are all common power supply format for ATX chassis. The orginal poster would be fine if he used any decent aftermarket power supply, assuming his Dell is no more than 3 years old and is of a standard mini tower design. Please stop spreading FUD, and instead discuss topics in this forum of which you actually have first hand information.
May 29, 2006 4:19:56 AM

Quote:
Are you puting thie 1900XTX into a dell pc? I presume the Dell comp is quite basic considering it use 350w.

The full potential of the GPU wont be used on a crap system......

I can't comment on his computer specs, but most mini tower Dells ship with a 250 watt psu, which is sufficient to power a 2.8 GHz pentium 4 and a low end graphics card obviously (ala the Dell 4600).
May 29, 2006 4:24:37 AM

Quote:
Datman mentioned PSUs that work with Dell PCs. LISTEN TO HIM. Dell uses proprietary hardware, meaning that some parts don't work with Dell PCs. That includes the PSU. Get one that works with Dells. Most won't.
For the last couple years at least, Dell has not used a proprietary power supply in their mini-tower, micro ATX chassis computers. I own a Dell Dimension 4500 from 2003, and it does not have a proprietary power supply. It's dimensions and its connectors are all common power supply format for ATX chassis. The orginal poster would be fine if he used any decent aftermarket power supply, assuming his Dell is no more than 3 years old and is of a standard mini tower design. Please stop spreading FUD, and instead discuss topics in this forum of which you actually have first hand information.

this is what surprisesme if u buy a Dell and i guess get the PSU upgraded guess who they use?

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/d...

PC Power & cooling

and all along u thought dell use crappy PSU's, well they do unless u upgrade.