Internet connection via PC

November 9, 2004 5:02:13 AM

Can anyone help me set up my Pocket PC (Dell Axim) so that I can connect to
the internet via my PC which has a broadband connection.

When the Axim is in the cradle I just want to be able to connect to the
internet to get updates for some software I have installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Richard

More about : internet connection

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:02:14 AM

Sitting in the cradle you should just be able to open PIE or Inbox and
connect to sites or any Pop3 services you have established. I would expect
though that updates to software would be downloaded to the PC and executed
there just like most initial installs. Of course if you installed by running
a downloaded cab file directly on your PPC, then the upgrade would follow
suite.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Richard Scott" <richardsnowstar@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me set up my Pocket PC (Dell Axim) so that I can connect
> the internet via my PC which has a broadband connection.
>
> When the Axim is in the cradle I just want to be able to connect to the
> internet to get updates for some software I have installed.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Richard

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:41:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Sitting in the cradle it does not connect using
PIE. If you hit the connection icon at the top of the screen (double
arrows) it says "Connectivity" "The Internet PC connection" but the
connection does not seem to be active.

I am sure I have to do something more to configure it but am not sure what.

Cheers,
Richard

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sitting in the cradle you should just be able to open PIE or Inbox and
> connect to sites or any Pop3 services you have established. I would expect
> though that updates to software would be downloaded to the PC and executed
> there just like most initial installs. Of course if you installed by
running
> a downloaded cab file directly on your PPC, then the upgrade would follow
> suite.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Richard Scott" <richardsnowstar@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone help me set up my Pocket PC (Dell Axim) so that I can connect
> > the internet via my PC which has a broadband connection.
> >
> > When the Axim is in the cradle I just want to be able to connect to the
> > internet to get updates for some software I have installed.
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Richard

November 9, 2004 5:41:20 AM

That indicates ActiveSync is connected. The only other thing that needs to
be set is in ActiveSync, Options, Rules tab, at the bottom there is a Pass
Through section. Normally that is set to "The Internet", and that is the
default. Mine works with that setting both at home in a private network and
at Work, in a "public" one.

When you open PIE and try to go to a web site, what happens? Does it give a
page not found error? You could try one of the built-in favorites, like MSN
Mobile to see.

--
> Thanks for the suggestions. Sitting in the cradle it does not connect
using
> PIE. If you hit the connection icon at the top of the screen (double
> arrows) it says "Connectivity" "The Internet PC connection" but the
> connection does not seem to be active.
>
> I am sure I have to do something more to configure it but am not sure
what.

> Cheers,
> Richard
>

> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sitting in the cradle you should just be able to open PIE or Inbox and
> > connect to sites or any Pop3 services you have established. I would
expect
> > though that updates to software would be downloaded to the PC and
executed
> > there just like most initial installs. Of course if you installed by
> running
> > a downloaded cab file directly on your PPC, then the upgrade would
follow
> > suite.
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "Richard Scott" <richardsnowstar@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > > Can anyone help me set up my Pocket PC (Dell Axim) so that I can
connect
> > > the internet via my PC which has a broadband connection.
> > >
> > > When the Axim is in the cradle I just want to be able to connect to
the
> > > internet to get updates for some software I have installed.
> > >
> > > Any advice would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Richard

November 11, 2004 5:46:00 AM

I checked the rules tab and the pass through was set to The internet. Went
to PIE and tried google and it worked. As far as I know I have not changed
anything so do not know why it is suddenly working!

I had the same problem when trying to connect to a wifi hotspot. The wifi
card was showing as connected but the PIE would not connect. Any ideas on
this one?

Thanks,
> That indicates ActiveSync is connected. The only other thing that needs to
> be set is in ActiveSync, Options, Rules tab, at the bottom there is a Pass
> Through section. Normally that is set to "The Internet", and that is the
> default. Mine works with that setting both at home in a private network
and
> at Work, in a "public" one.
>
> When you open PIE and try to go to a web site, what happens? Does it give
> page not found error? You could try one of the built-in favorites, like
MSN
> Mobile to see.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Richard Scott" <richardsnowstar@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestions. Sitting in the cradle it does not connect
> using
> > PIE. If you hit the connection icon at the top of the screen (double
> > arrows) it says "Connectivity" "The Internet PC connection" but the
> > connection does not seem to be active.
> >
> > I am sure I have to do something more to configure it but am not sure
> what.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Richard
> >

> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Sitting in the cradle you should just be able to open PIE or Inbox and
> > > connect to sites or any Pop3 services you have established. I would
> expect
> > > though that updates to software would be downloaded to the PC and
> executed
> > > there just like most initial installs. Of course if you installed by
> > running
> > > a downloaded cab file directly on your PPC, then the upgrade would
> follow
> > > suite.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > > "Richard Scott" <richardsnowstar@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> connect

> the

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 12:14:35 AM

That one is a little tougher. The Hotspot may not have been a free one, and
using encryption. You would still show a good signal but you would not be
able to get a good IP address from it. It would seem though that if you saw
the connected symbol; at the top, two opposing arrows, that was likely not
the issue. Some hotspots at that point will look at the browser
identification string and not want to play with PIE and so not give you the
page where you would normally accept there terms of use, even if it is free.

Barring some of those issues, there is sometimes some fiddling that needs to
be done in connection manager to get WiFi to work, even in a home
environment. Typically if you set the 'my network card connects to' setting
to Work, and then edit the Work profile to say 'this network connects to the
internet', it seems to work in the most situations. Much easier to guide
WiFi troubleshooting with someone at a home WiFi setup where the various
parameters are known, rather than at some random public Access Point, when
we are not sure of anything. In any case picking up the free vxutil and
vxIPconfig from www.cam.com will help others help you if you don't know what
to do with them yourself. Also I find PocketWinc very helpful in getting me
connected to public WiFi, though it is not free.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
news:o wRvnR6xEHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!