Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Protection of wifi connection

Last response: in Windows 7
April 22, 2011 6:26:57 AM

hi guys

how can i protect my wifi network from un athorized access. i mean is there a way to create a password. so that if anybopy else in the neibourhood is catching my signal he cannot use it

thanks
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2011 8:30:15 AM

Yes, read your user manual
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2011 5:47:13 AM

Emerald said:
Yes, read your user manual

there is no user manual with my wifi modem
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 25, 2011 3:20:59 PM

what is the make and model of the modem?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 25, 2011 8:42:18 PM

neo700 said:
hi guys

how can i protect my wifi network from un athorized access. i mean is there a way to create a password. so that if anybopy else in the neibourhood is catching my signal he cannot use it

thanks

Yes there is a way. The type of protection you use depends on the make and model of your wireless router. Most recently new wireless routers have WPA2 encryption. Which is what I would recommend for you.

The easiest way to set this up is by logging into your router from a computer. Look for the IP address of your router on a sticker usually on the bottom of the router. Then plug that IP address in to your internet browser from a computer that's connected to the router. Depending on the make and model of your router you will be prompted for a user name and password. There is usually a default user name and password. Example: username: admin, password: password. Google the make and model + router login and you should be able to get that information quickly.

Once logged into your router change the login password. Then move on to the encryption. Router GUI looks different depending on the make and model of your router. But search around for anything that says encryption, WPA, WEP , WPA2. Then select WPA2 and put in a crazy long password with numbers. Save the password somewhere like a usb flash drive and use it to connect other devices to the wireless router.

After that your good to go. WPA2 is very strong. Much better then WEP. You could also move on to other security features like MAC filtering. But if you set up WPA2 I don't really see a point in MAC filtering because MAC spoofing is decently common. Your can also turn off SSID broadcasting. So that neighbors wouldn't be able to see your wireless router admitting a signal. Again this is a small security feature that can be overcome and WPA2 trumps it. So as long as your stick to WPA2 you should go good. For now. =)

Good luck.
April 27, 2011 6:23:04 AM

Best answer selected by neo700.
m
l
April 27, 2011 6:24:16 AM

skaz said:
Yes there is a way. The type of protection you use depends on the make and model of your wireless router. Most recently new wireless routers have WPA2 encryption. Which is what I would recommend for you.

The easiest way to set this up is by logging into your router from a computer. Look for the IP address of your router on a sticker usually on the bottom of the router. Then plug that IP address in to your internet browser from a computer that's connected to the router. Depending on the make and model of your router you will be prompted for a user name and password. There is usually a default user name and password. Example: username: admin, password: password. Google the make and model + router login and you should be able to get that information quickly.

Once logged into your router change the login password. Then move on to the encryption. Router GUI looks different depending on the make and model of your router. But search around for anything that says encryption, WPA, WEP , WPA2. Then select WPA2 and put in a crazy long password with numbers. Save the password somewhere like a usb flash drive and use it to connect other devices to the wireless router.

After that your good to go. WPA2 is very strong. Much better then WEP. You could also move on to other security features like MAC filtering. But if you set up WPA2 I don't really see a point in MAC filtering because MAC spoofing is decently common. Your can also turn off SSID broadcasting. So that neighbors wouldn't be able to see your wireless router admitting a signal. Again this is a small security feature that can be overcome and WPA2 trumps it. So as long as your stick to WPA2 you should go good. For now. =)

Good luck.

thanks man, for comprehensive reply.
m
l
!