Network cable adjacent to power lines

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
I noticed in the article today that the installer was installing the ports only a few inches from the power outlet. I thought you were supposed to keep network cable a minimum of 12" from power conduits?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
specifications mean jack if an inspector doesnt have to aprove the install. it wont hurt anything. at the most there may be a slight performance drop, nothing to lose sleep over though.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

The_Cable_Guy

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks for the questions. Actually when it comes to work area outlets (WAO) that will be used in rooms it is recommended to place these within 3ft of electrical since electric is also needed to power up the computer. Electric needs to be in BX or conduit also. If you are referencing the rack area, the cabling was routed on the other side of all Cat5e/Cat6 cabling.

I performed the installation and if you may have any questions please feel free to reply.

Thanks
Doug