Sign in with
Your question

Going from 32bit to 64bit

Last response: in Windows 8
December 2, 2012 6:07:14 AM

Hello,
Right now I'm planning to change from using a windows 8 pro 32bit to 64bit. My questions are:

Is it good for gaming? or better

What is the differences between 32bit and 64bit?

What challenges i'm going to face after being using 32bit for more 6 years?

What its disadvantages?

what its advantages?

all of this questions it for 64 bit.

Thanks in advances

More about : 32bit 64bit

December 2, 2012 6:17:59 AM

First of all make sure you have a Dual core Cpu, as you will not be able to install the 64bit versions of windows 8. There are more advantages to running a 64 bit Os.
The first is the amount of memory windows can allocate to run programs ect is much bigger. So less time dipping into the hard drive to fetch Data, so it makes things a bit faster. More memory allows you to run more programs withing windows if you have a fair amount of it.
Where as a 32bit os is more limited to memory allocation and size access.
December 2, 2012 6:35:30 AM

The biggest issue with 64 bit OS was it took special drivers and could not run 16 bit exe files. Since this style of OS has become main stream you will face little difficulty
Related resources
December 2, 2012 7:13:25 AM

weaselman -- dual core doesnt mean 64 bit check Intel Yonah etc

BriboCN -- what crappy software requires 16 bit still? 32-bit came out late 80's/early 90's

aazzam14 -- how old is your computer/hardware, if its single core (old) or DDR1 spec age stuff it wont be worth the effort

64-bit just means support for 4gb or more (also means all new drivers required), some old rubbish software wont work with it etc

personally i dont ever bother with a 32-bit install even with a system with less then 4gb etc
December 2, 2012 7:24:15 AM

64-bit Advantage.
You will be able to use more than 4 GB of RAM with 64-bit.
64-bit is the future.
The first 64-bit CPU from AMD was back in 2003.
More and more applications will be made for 64-bit.

64-bit Disadvantage
Most programs and applications are still made for 32-bit.

32-bit Advantage
Most games are still 32-bit.
Most programs and application are still 32-bit.
32-bit is faster on older hardware (Single core CPU)

32-bit Disadvantage
You won't be able to see/use more than 4 GB of RAM with 32-bit.(2.75-3.75 GB usable)

December 2, 2012 7:26:11 AM

apache_lives said:

BriboCN -- what crappy software requires 16 bit still? 32-bit came out late 80's/early 90's

aazzam14 -- how old is your computer/hardware, if its single core (old) or DDR1 spec age stuff it wont be worth the effort

64-bit just means support for 4gb or more (also means all new drivers required), some old rubbish software wont work with it etc

personally i dont ever bother with a 32-bit install even with a system with less then 4gb etc

Apache, when 64 bit Vista came out 16 bit executables were still somewhat common. They have since been all updated.
December 2, 2012 7:26:20 AM

apache_lives said:

Apache, when 64 bit Vista came out 16 bit executables were still somewhat common. They have since been all updated.
December 2, 2012 7:31:29 AM

apache_lives said:

a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
December 2, 2012 7:58:21 AM

unreal9400 said:
64-bit Advantage.
You will be able to use more than 4 GB of RAM with 64-bit.
64-bit is the future.
The first 64-bit CPU from AMD was back in 2003.
More and more applications will be made for 64-bit.

64-bit Disadvantage
Most programs and applications are still made for 32-bit.

32-bit Advantage
Most games are still 32-bit.
Most programs and application are still 32-bit.
32-bit is faster on older hardware (Single core CPU)

32-bit Disadvantage
You won't be able to see/use more than 4 GB of RAM with 32-bit.(2.75-3.75 GB usable)

You make it sound like 64 bit can't run 32 bit programs. That's WRONG. 32 bit programs run just fine on a 64 bit OS, just like how a 32 bit OS can run 16 bit programs. In fact, a lot of 32 bit programs have gotten updated to either have 64 bit versions, or to use more RAM if running on a 64 bit OS.

OP: If you have a computer that's less than 4 years old, getting a 64 bit OS is worth it. Future programs will be coming on it, for sure, in the next six years.
December 4, 2012 9:20:56 PM

There are single core CPUs that are 64 bit.

I have been running Windows XP Pro x64 for years without too much issue. I haven't found a game yet I can't get to work on Windows 7 x64.
!