Not starting at all. Case/PSU issue?

Milque

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Hi, I just got my computer all assembled, and after much cursing and buying of a new PSU, I plugged it in and flip the switch to an anticlimatic nothing.

Yep. Nothing. No boot, not post, not even an attempt to start. The only thing that seems off is the high pitched whine that the (I think) PSU is makin'. I've checked the switches and since the power supply in brand spankin' new pretty sure it works (Whine was also expeirenced with the old 350W.) So what exactly is the culprit here? CPU? Motherboard? Gypsies?

To give you some specs: 500w PSU. Athalon X2 3700. Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI. 2x512 Corsair DDR400.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
What brand PSU? A cheap one may still be DOA - heck, so could an expensive one. :)

That whine may mean there's a grounding problem. I would check the house wiring (I know - the old one worked - but it whined too and maybe it was designed differently such that it worked in spite of a ground problem). Or look in the case - maybe there's an open ground there.

Just a couple guesses.

Mike.

protantus

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Minque, I'm in the same position as you,

I dont know about everyone else, but I really do not understand all of the mobo connectors and they are not exactly clear in the labelling.

I have a DFI Lanparty UT-SLI R board with a Hiper Type R modular 580 PSU (really cool kit BTW). Problem is that the mobo lights will come on but no boot sequence follows. It is as if the machine is not switched on, even though I have connected the SW Power lead. The mobo has reset and power options directly but neither of these will start the sequence.

I have connected a 20-pin PSU ATX to a 24-pin mobo ATX socket; however my understanding is that this should only effect the PCI-E connections.

Anyone know why I get no power to HD or other devices?

Milque

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Ah well, I figured it out. Turned out the mobo was shorting against the case. The damn thing came with spacers but without instructions beyond "Put motherboard in case." I had no clue what the little hexagonal doodads were for. Bah, at least now I know what not to do. :roll:

As for Protantus's problem if the HDD lights are coming on, that indicates that the mobo is at least getting some power. It could be a ground issue like mine in which case you need to take out the motherboard and install some spacers.) However with mine, I got no lights or power whatsoever. This leads me to think it could be a DOA motherboard.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Recheck all your connections.

Make sure the CPU fan header is plugged into the mobo header, make sure the cards are seated correctly, double check the HD & optical drive connections to mak sure they're not backwards, Make sure any extra CPU and/or Video power connectors are connected. Make sure you're not shorting the mobo on the case like Minque suggested.

If no go, reset the BIOS (or pull the battery for a few mins), pull everything but CPU & HSF, 1 stick RAM & video & see if it boots.

Mike.