Shuttle case or more specifically, PSU...

weilin

Distinguished
Ok here's issue, im looking at a shuttle pc and it comes with a 250w psu.. now conventional wisdom would say toss hte thing and get a bigger 1 but the shuttle cases r so SMALL.... Is that 250w psu gonna be able to cut it or am i gonna have to buy another power supply.. or modify 1 to make this pc work. currently i have a 3800+ going into it (dual core) 1gb OCZ ram, 200gb hd, x700 video card, + cdrom & floppy The board is based upon the geforce 6100 chipset. Any insight on this or if any1 has any experience with this please let me know. Thank you.

G

I have an older SN42G shuttle it has the NForce2 chipset/Althlon XP 2400/1Gb Ram/160 HDD/DVD-RW/ I upgraded the PSU to the 250W one you have (it shipped with 200W) and managed to get a (friends) Geforce 6600Gt running on it no problems at all, other than I had to leave the case open to get it to fit.
The 250W seems to be built to excellent tolerances - a lot of 350W+ PSU's get a bit unreliable at high power (the voltages wander a bit) but this one stays spot on right upto 250W.
Add up the Wattage of your components at peak - if it is 250W or less it will, in my experience, work perfectly.

Stuart

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Shuttle XPC barebones have some of the best PSU installed in them. Though they are rated modestly, they can handle more stuffs than you can imagine. Check out this link:
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/235

That particular barebone also has a 250W PSU in it but they run it with a geforce 6800 GT inside without any problem. If you google around, you will find that people had used even more powerful video card with this barebone and it's PSU was still up to the task.

To sum it all up, I think the 250W PSU will run your X700 without breaking any sweat. So, go on and use the barebone with the components you listed, it will be a nice little PC.

linux_0

Splendid
Ok here's issue, im looking at a shuttle pc and it comes with a 250w psu.. now conventional wisdom would say toss hte thing and get a bigger 1 but the shuttle cases r so SMALL.... Is that 250w psu gonna be able to cut it or am i gonna have to buy another power supply.. or modify 1 to make this pc work. currently i have a 3800+ going into it (dual core) 1gb OCZ ram, 200gb hd, x700 video card, + cdrom & floppy The board is based upon the geforce 6100 chipset. Any insight on this or if any1 has any experience with this please let me know. Thank you.

I looks like you need about 217 - 250W so you should be fine

You just can't put an X1900XT in there.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

System Type: Single Processor
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2000 MHz AM2 Windsor
CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR SDRAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon X700
Video Type: Single Card

IDE HDD 7200 rpm: 1 HDD

CD-ROM Drive: 1 Drive
Floppy Drive: 1 Drive

Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 80mm;

Motherboard, keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100% (peak utilization)

Total: 217 Watts