Punching up New Zealand

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 17, 2005 10:39:22 AM

Just wanted to say that if you're Jonesin' for soon new place to fly you can
turn New Zealand from boring into a very cool place by following Don Butt's
formula.

Here's the finished product of airport scenery and 75m mesh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

Here's the 75m mesh and landclass:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

(BTW Don.. the 75m mesh looks great)

To put this together you'll need a minimum of these three things:
75m NZ Scenery (50MB)
Revised NZ Landclass (70kb -zip)
Revised NZ Seasons (15kb -zip)

From here:
http://www.geographx.co.nz/downloads.html

If you have the patience to endure installing airports install all of
theses:
http://arnz.myhost.co.nz/

Some come with large areas of photographic landclass.

I think I'll go fly there now....

Dallas

More about : punching zealand

August 17, 2005 1:33:50 PM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:39:22 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Just wanted to say that if you're Jonesin' for soon new place to fly you can
>turn New Zealand from boring into a very cool place by following Don Butt's
>formula.
>
>(BTW Don.. the 75m mesh looks great)
>
>To put this together you'll need a minimum of these three things:
>75m NZ Scenery (50MB)
>Revised NZ Landclass (70kb -zip)
>Revised NZ Seasons (15kb -zip)
>
>From here:
>http://www.geographx.co.nz/downloads.html
>
>If you have the patience to endure installing airports install all of
>theses:
>http://arnz.myhost.co.nz/
>
>Some come with large areas of photographic landclass.
>
>I think I'll go fly there now....
>
>Dallas

Good project Dallas.. wish there were more posts like this one!

-g
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:17:18 PM

I downloaded the lot, took me some time, with in the back of my mind the
hope that I will get rit of the white and black rectangelars in the scenery
of NZ.
Nope, the are still there. I was wondering if one of you designers could
help me out but I have droped this problem in diff groups with no results at
all. My last try: Who can solve my problem. I love NZ, was working at
Marsden Point in 1985-86 and had a very good time.

Wim Dijkgraaf
Belgium.
August 17, 2005 11:37:55 PM

Thanks Dallas I'll keep you on as personal assistant me thinks. Good work
and nice pics
Regards
Don
> Just wanted to say that if you're Jonesin' for soon new place to fly you
> can
> turn New Zealand from boring into a very cool place by following Don
> Butt's
> formula.
>
> Here's the finished product of airport scenery and 75m mesh:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>
> Here's the 75m mesh and landclass:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>
> (BTW Don.. the 75m mesh looks great)
>
> To put this together you'll need a minimum of these three things:
> 75m NZ Scenery (50MB)
> Revised NZ Landclass (70kb -zip)
> Revised NZ Seasons (15kb -zip)
>
> From here:
> http://www.geographx.co.nz/downloads.html
>
> If you have the patience to endure installing airports install all of
> theses:
> http://arnz.myhost.co.nz/
>
> Some come with large areas of photographic landclass.
>
> I think I'll go fly there now....
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:37:56 PM

Thanks for this Dally. There is a very large amount of good photoreal
scenery for NZ, much of it by my friend Robin Corn.
Try the Godzone website at

http://www.windowlight.co.nz/

for a start.

Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
August 17, 2005 11:37:56 PM

>>Some come with large areas of photographic landclass.
>>
>>I think I'll go fly there now....
>>
>>Dallas

If I load all that up will I be able to find the entrance to the mine
through the mountain where the Shadow lived?

2nd question. After all that, is it possible to navigate using a
terrain map?

Remember talking about using a one over a million map? Well, here it is
of New Zealand and you can zoom in close enough to navigate using major
terrain features.

Small Scale Raster Maps of New Zealand
http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topo...

Some really detailed maps CAUTION: I made the mistake of opening the
map into Netscape. I had to use the task manager to close the browser.

New Zealand Offshore Islands 1:50 000
New Zealand Off-shore Islands 1:25 000
http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topo...

Although I can't seem to find this one, the most important map.

http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topo...

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 17, 2005 11:37:57 PM

boB wrote:

>>> Some come with large areas of photographic landclass.
>>>
>>> I think I'll go fly there now....
>>>
>>> Dallas

But if one had the time, pasting all these together might work.
http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topo...

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 17, 2005 11:37:58 PM

boB wrote:

I should look more before I post but I'm sleepy now. I found a page
where you can zoom in to a very high detail topo map, even showing
streets when you zoom in enough. Might cut and paste a few together and
try a NOE flight with Dalli's mesh

http://www.nztopoonline.linz.govt.nz/website/nzmgtopo/v...
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 17, 2005 11:37:58 PM

My problem is that I am wondering which scenery can be installed with which?
Any advise welcom.

Wim Dijkgraaf
Belgium

"boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> schreef in bericht

> But if one had the time, pasting all these together might work.
> http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topo...
>

> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 18, 2005 2:13:03 AM

yep got right down to my street
Butts

"boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
> boB wrote:
>
> I should look more before I post but I'm sleepy now. I found a page where
> you can zoom in to a very high detail topo map, even showing streets when
> you zoom in enough. Might cut and paste a few together and try a NOE
> flight with Dalli's mesh
>
> http://www.nztopoonline.linz.govt.nz/website/nzmgtopo/v...
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 18, 2005 8:52:27 AM

"Gregory"
> Good project Dallas.. wish there were more posts like this one!

High praise... coming from the King of projects. :-)

(and spreadsheets :-)

Dallas
August 18, 2005 10:07:44 AM

"Quilljar"
>There is a very large amount of good photoreal
> scenery for NZ, much of it by my friend Robin Corn.
> http://www.windowlight.co.nz/

Roger, Wilco.

Dallas
August 18, 2005 2:50:16 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 04:52:27 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>> Good project Dallas.. wish there were more posts like this one!
>

>High praise... coming from the King of projects. :-)

oh why thanks.. but lets be modest here!

>(and spreadsheets :-)

you did catch the part about `SS on the left monitor'.. that is, why
not Sim along.. hit PAUSE.. click on the SS.. and enter some data!!

then click back on the Sim.. hit [ P ] .. and Sim along some more..
maybe even step or slew-climb and record other data!!

-g

p.s. must download some NZ stuff... only simmed in AU once.

>Dallas

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:19:41 PM

Ok guys have a look at this pic and see if it is better or worse than what
you have built. The area is 10 km north of Tauranga, North Island looking
320 deg perhaps..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/north.jp...

Butts

"Wim Dijkgraaf" <wim.dijkgraaf@pandora.be> wrote in message
>I downloaded the lot, took me some time, with in the back of my mind the
>hope that I will get rit of the white and black rectangelars in the scenery
>of NZ.
> Nope, the are still there. I was wondering if one of you designers could
> help me out but I have droped this problem in diff groups with no results
> at all. My last try: Who can solve my problem. I love NZ, was working at
> Marsden Point in 1985-86 and had a very good time.
>
> Wim Dijkgraaf
> Belgium.

August 19, 2005 2:38:27 AM

"donbutts"
> Ok guys have a look at this pic and see if it is better or worse than what
> you have built.
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/north.jp...

My first impression is that it's hard to tell because it seems more than 50%
of your terrain is blurry? That screenshot could be deceptive, but you
might consider extending the terrain draw radius out a bit farther.
Somebody else, like Katy needs to confirm my observation.

In general it looks ok, I'd have to go there to compare. Did you get the
landclass from http://www.geographx.co.nz/downloads.htm? I thought they did
a nice job.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:18:50 PM

news:D 58Ne.8220$WD.1980@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "donbutts"
>> Ok guys have a look at this pic and see if it is better or worse than
>> what
>> you have built.
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/north.jp...
>
> My first impression is that it's hard to tell because it seems more than
> 50%
> of your terrain is blurry? That screenshot could be deceptive, but you
> might consider extending the terrain draw radius out a bit farther.
> Somebody else, like Katy needs to confirm my observation.
>
> In general it looks ok, I'd have to go there to compare. Did you get the
> landclass from http://www.geographx.co.nz/downloads.htm? I thought they
> did
> a nice job.
>
> Dallas

Hi Dallas
Obviously my email didnt arrive.. I downloaded the whole lot including the
seasons and put them all in one file and ended up with a whole lot of
repetitious paddocks away into the distance so I put back the other
landclass version I had before and sent you a copy of the small file.
Terrain distance would be default for a new 3.2 AMD I havnt mucked around
that end since recent reinstalation.
Cheers
Butts
August 19, 2005 6:18:51 PM

Hey Don,

I've been meaning to ask.. New Zealand is way down there lower than Southern
Australia, next stop to Antarctica. So how is it NZ isn't just a giant ice
cube of a place?

And if you don't mind me asking, what part are you from?

Dallas
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:18:52 PM

Dallas wrote:
> Hey Don,
>
> I've been meaning to ask.. New Zealand is way down there lower than
> Southern Australia, next stop to Antarctica. So how is it NZ isn't
> just a giant ice cube of a place?
>
> And if you don't mind me asking, what part are you from?
>
> Dallas

Because it is not THAT far south, about equivalent to Spain in the northern
hemisphere, so the north island is a mediterranean climate. The south can be
very very wet rather than cold, but they do have frosts depending on the
height. Some Kiwis say that if NZ were ironed out flat, it would be the size
of Australia :-)

--
Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ
August 19, 2005 6:18:53 PM

Quilljar wrote:
> Dallas wrote:
>> Hey Don,
>>
>> I've been meaning to ask.. New Zealand is way down there lower than
>> Southern Australia, next stop to Antarctica. So how is it NZ isn't
>> just a giant ice cube of a place?
>>
>> And if you don't mind me asking, what part are you from?
>>
>> Dallas
>
> Because it is not THAT far south, about equivalent to Spain in the
> northern hemisphere, so the north island is a mediterranean climate.
> The south can be very very wet rather than cold, but they do have
> frosts depending on the height. Some Kiwis say that if NZ were ironed
> out flat, it would be the size of Australia :-)

There are some big glaciers mind you and I think I'm right in saying that
Alexandra in Central Otago has an outdoor ice-skating rink (in winter time -
in summer it was pretty hot!).

Tim
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:46:03 AM

Hi Dallas
I suppose I live half way between Sydney and Melbourne if you took a line
across. Summer average 23 or 24C winter 13 or 14 average. No frosts this
winter. I'll work on the landclass but the area looks more like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Bay.jpg

plenty of green and we don't have those large American square gridded
paddocks
Butts

news:D e4525$gbp$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Dallas wrote:
>> Hey Don,
>>
>> I've been meaning to ask.. New Zealand is way down there lower than
>> Southern Australia, next stop to Antarctica. So how is it NZ isn't
>> just a giant ice cube of a place?
>>
>> And if you don't mind me asking, what part are you from?
>>
>> Dallas
>
> Because it is not THAT far south, about equivalent to Spain in the
> northern hemisphere, so the north island is a mediterranean climate. The
> south can be very very wet rather than cold, but they do have frosts
> depending on the height. Some Kiwis say that if NZ were ironed out flat,
> it would be the size of Australia :-)
>

> --
> Quilljar
>
> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>
> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 3:02:17 AM

Also live in the small city of Tauranga 100,000 pop
"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dallas
> I suppose I live half way between Sydney and Melbourne if you took a line
> across. Summer average 23 or 24C winter 13 or 14 average. No frosts this
> winter. I'll work on the landclass but the area looks more like this
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Bay.jpg
>
> plenty of green and we don't have those large American square gridded
> paddocks
> Butts
>
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D e4525$gbp$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Dallas wrote:
>>> Hey Don,
>>>
>>> I've been meaning to ask.. New Zealand is way down there lower than
>>> Southern Australia, next stop to Antarctica. So how is it NZ isn't
>>> just a giant ice cube of a place?
>>>
>>> And if you don't mind me asking, what part are you from?
>>>
>>> Dallas
>>
>> Because it is not THAT far south, about equivalent to Spain in the
>> northern hemisphere, so the north island is a mediterranean climate. The
>> south can be very very wet rather than cold, but they do have frosts
>> depending on the height. Some Kiwis say that if NZ were ironed out flat,
>> it would be the size of Australia :-)
>>

>> --
>> Quilljar
>>
>> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>>
>> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

August 20, 2005 4:48:40 PM

"donbutts"
> winter. I'll work on the landclass but the area looks more like this
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Bay.jpg

Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:04:01 PM

> "donbutts"
>> winter. I'll work on the landclass but the area looks more like this
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Bay.jpg
>
> Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
> photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>
> Dallas

It's a little overdone and needs a little magenta added but it sure is green
here most of the year. Notice it particularly after arriving back from arid
Australia and it's quite a contrast looking down on the green carpet..
refreshing
I'm going to work on the landclass files and will get back to you if I get
anywhere.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:04:02 PM

> It's a little overdone and needs a little magenta added but it sure
> is green here most of the year. Notice it particularly after arriving
> back from arid Australia and it's quite a contrast looking down on
> the green carpet.. refreshing
> I'm going to work on the landclass files and will get back to you if
> I get anywhere.

Don,

Whereabouts 'exactly' is that lovely scene?

--
Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:16:35 AM

10 minutes south of Tauranga. World Kiwi Fruit centre

news:D e9f38$63k$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

>> It's a little overdone and needs a little magenta added but it sure
>> is green here most of the year. Notice it particularly after arriving
>> back from arid Australia and it's quite a contrast looking down on
>> the green carpet.. refreshing
>> I'm going to work on the landclass files and will get back to you if
>> I get anywhere.
>
> Don,
>
> Whereabouts 'exactly' is that lovely scene?
>

> --
> Sincerely Quilljar
>
> 'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'

August 27, 2005 2:09:29 PM

>Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>
>Dallas

Dallas,

I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.

That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
so you have something to judge the colours by.

But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)

Cheers
Gary
August 27, 2005 2:09:30 PM

"Gary"
> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
> I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.

Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ lately and
your photos would be very interesting.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:18:08 PM

Dallas wrote:
> "Gary"
>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
>> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>
> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>
> Dallas

NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor life.
Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live there.

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

"Quilljar"
> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
life.

Maybe we should plan our next trip together... we could crash DonButts
house. :-)

So what is the consensus for spending the most time, the north island or the
south island?

Dallas
August 28, 2005 4:35:14 AM

Not to mention the bashing you would get from me and John Ward come
Bledisloe Cup time.
;o)

--
The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential and
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you
news:D epel0$dnv$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Dallas wrote:
>> "Gary"
>>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
>>> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>>
>> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
>> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>>
>> Dallas
>
> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
> life. Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each
> time mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there,
> but we then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I
> guess you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and
> live there.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> Quilljar

August 28, 2005 4:35:15 AM

"Goran"
> Not to mention the bashing you would get from me and John Ward come
> Bledisloe Cup time.

The *real* football season is starting up in a couple of weeks here in N.
America. ;-p

Dallas
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 10:59:27 AM

Exactly!!! :-))

Which reminds me........

JW
"Goran" <G-Man> wrote in message news:43107a24$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Not to mention the bashing you would get from me and John Ward come
> Bledisloe Cup time.
> ;o)
>

> --
> The contents of this email and any attachments are strictly confidential
> and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
> If you are not the addressee(s) you are not authorised to and must not
> disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message without my authority.
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D epel0$dnv$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Dallas wrote:
>>> "Gary"
>>>
>>> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
>>> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>>>
>>> Dallas
>>
>> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
>> life. Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks
>> each time mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living
>> there, but we then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss
>> Europe. I guess you have to be both young and a special kind of person to
>> go and live there.
>>

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Quilljar

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:01:45 AM

Hi Varmit,

Oh yeah, the Aerial Ping Pong Conference.

How could we have forgotten about that, down here?! :-))

Regards,
John Ward

> "Goran"
>> Not to mention the bashing you would get from me and John Ward come
>> Bledisloe Cup time.
>
> The *real* football season is starting up in a couple of weeks here in N.
> America. ;-p
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:04:28 AM

Hi Varmit,

Some people say the North Island's not as bad as The South, but,
personally, I find that hard to believe! :-)

Regards,
John Ward

> "Quilljar"
>> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
> life.
>
> Maybe we should plan our next trip together... we could crash DonButts
> house. :-)
>
> So what is the consensus for spending the most time, the north island or
> the
> south island?
>

> Dallas

August 28, 2005 11:04:29 AM

John Ward wrote:
> Hi Varmit,
>
> Some people say the North Island's not as bad as The South, but,
> personally, I find that hard to believe! :-)

I'd say first visit should concentrate on the South Island - Milford Sound,
Mt. Cook, Queenstown, Christchurch, etc...
And make your reservations about a year in advance for Milford Sound & Mt.
Cook, since there's only one major lodge in each...
I found out the hard way, and they were booked solid the first year we tried
only SIX MONTHS in advance, so we had to settle for the alternative
destination of Tahiti that year (had some frequent flyer tickets on
Continental to use up), but finally made it a year later. Had been to the
North Island (which also has it's strong points, 2nd largest field of
thermal energy w/geysers, boiling mud pots, etc. in the world [if memory
serves correct], only surpassed by Yellowstone in USA) and land of Oz a few
years before (also frequent flyer tickets :) . jeeezzzz, the way some
people have to scrape by... d:->))
August 28, 2005 11:04:29 AM

"John Ward"
> Some people say the North Island's not as bad as The South, but,
> personally, I find that hard to believe! :-)

Good one mate!.. I just spit my scotch all over my CH Yoke.

Maybe I can get Studmuffin to repair it for me. :-)

Dallas
August 28, 2005 11:04:30 AM

"CRaSH"
> I found out the hard way, and they were booked solid the first year we
tried
> only SIX MONTHS in advance,

Sounds like a good place to build a 600 room luxury hotel, I'll get on the
phone to my architect. :-)

> so we had to settle for the alternative destination of Tahiti

Oh man, that's brutal! What a let down.

Dallas
August 28, 2005 11:34:18 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:06:31 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ lately and
>your photos would be very interesting.
>
>Dallas

Make sure you stop in the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) on the way there or
the way back. :-)
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:08:45 AM

Hi Varmit,

I believe Studmuffin's changed from electronic repairs to full-time FMC
programming.

And having similar success with it, I nearly added. :-))

Regards,
John ward

!