DVD/CD Access Problem

I have a AOPEN DVD/CD RW which up until a few days ago worked perfectly. I
was using Roxio version 6 CD/DVD creator, but I was dissatisfied with the
product because it didn't seem to work properly (on reflecting on it now
maybe it wasn't the software but the hardware). So I purchased and
installed ULEAD Movie Factory which works great.
The problem I started having is that I used to be able to drag and drop
files to the DVD/CD drive, or create new folders on the drive. Now I get a
not allowed message. I have to copy files to it by using the ULEAD
software.
What happened and how do I fix it? I really would like to be able to drag
and drop my files.
I also installed XP SP2 about a week ago, and was wondering if this was
causing the issue.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ruth

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:18:27 -0400, Ruth wrote:

> I have a AOPEN DVD/CD RW which up until a few days ago worked perfectly. I
> was using Roxio version 6 CD/DVD creator, but I was dissatisfied with the
> product because it didn't seem to work properly (on reflecting on it now
> maybe it wasn't the software but the hardware). So I purchased and
> installed ULEAD Movie Factory which works great.
> The problem I started having is that I used to be able to drag and drop
> files to the DVD/CD drive, or create new folders on the drive. Now I get a
> not allowed message. I have to copy files to it by using the ULEAD
> software.
> What happened and how do I fix it? I really would like to be able to drag
> and drop my files.
> I also installed XP SP2 about a week ago, and was wondering if this was
> causing the issue.
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Ruth

Dragging and dropping files to a rewritable CD or DVD is a special function
of various software packages. It is not natively supported by XP. It's
possible that the ULEAD program does not support it either.

To get back this ability, you need to use software that is capable of
"packet writing." The InCD portion of Ahead's Nero/InCD package handles
this kind of writing as does Drag-to-Disc in the Roxio software. There are
several other products capable as well.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Tried installing the Drag to Disc in Roxio and I still cannot perform that
function. Did something in SP2 screw things up? It seemed to work fine
before I installed it?

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:04:36 -0400, Ruth wrote:

> Tried installing the Drag to Disc in Roxio and I still cannot perform that
> function. Did something in SP2 screw things up? It seemed to work fine
> before I installed it?

The Roxio software is working fine with SP2. I use it with a CD burner and
a DVD burner - both drives on the same desktop. Roxio has tech support
forums at their site. You should post the problem you're having
reinstalling their software there.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User