Need a suggestion on a new mother board

urir10

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Hello

I want to get some help on buying a mother board.
Right now i have :
P4 3.0 GHZ on a P4P800-E mother board,
3GB of RAM,
Geforce 6800 GT AGP.
3 Hard-drives /200gb each (sata and ide)

The thing is i want to upgrade my video card and all the new once are pci-e. So i will need a mother board that will take all my current hardware except the video card since i will buy a new one. I wanted to know what would be a good investment on a new pci-e mother board around the $200. And also right
now i have an 8- channel sound card built in the mother board so a mother board with a sound card would be good too, cause i dont want to buy a sound card as well.

Thank you for the help

linux_0

Splendid
Hello

I want to get some help on buying a mother board.
Right now i have :
P4 3.0 GHZ on a P4P800-E mother board,
3GB of RAM,
Geforce 6800 GT AGP.
3 Hard-drives /200gb each (sata and ide)

The thing is i want to upgrade my video card and all the new once are pci-e. So i will need a mother board that will take all my current hardware except the video card since i will buy a new one. I wanted to know what would be a good investment on a new pci-e mother board around the $200. And also right
now i have an 8- channel sound card built in the mother board so a mother board with a sound card would be good too, cause i dont want to buy a sound card as well.

Thank you for the help

The ASRock 939Dual supports AGP and PCI-E and is upgradable to AM2 :-D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081R

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/939Dual-SATA2

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=355&num=1

It's not a bad board :-D

urir10

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
hmm... i dont want somethign that supports both since i will be upgrading my video card and i wont be needing an agp anymore. I just need the new mother board so i can mount a new pci-e video card.

But thank you i will take that board into consideration

Can you wait? AM2 is coming out tomorrow, May 23rd. Hopefully that means they will be available for sale to retail customers. Conroe is on it's way next month and should be available for sale to retail customers in July.

Your GPU may not be cutting edge anymore, but it should do the job for a couple more months. The CPU isn't bad either.

linux_0

Splendid
hmm... i dont want somethign that supports both since i will be upgrading my video card and i wont be needing an agp anymore. I just need the new mother board so i can mount a new pci-e video card.

But thank you i will take that board into consideration

In that case an nForce4 S939 or AM2 would be your best bet.

weilin

Distinguished
u guys, he wants to keep his CPU... so gettin a socket 939 or AM2 board isnt gonna help his P4 3.0ghz. Anyways, before i answer your question whats the pin count on your cpu? is it 478 or 775?

linux_0

Splendid
u guys, he wants to keep his CPU... so gettin a socket 939 or AM2 board isnt gonna help his P4 3.0ghz. Anyways, before i answer your question whats the pin count on your cpu? is it 478 or 775?

I'm pretty sure it's 478 and isn't worth upgrading to PCI-E

S939+PCI-E or AM2+PCI-E would make a lot more sense.

S939+PCI-E ( maybe an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 which supports S939 and AM2 as well as PCI-E and AGP ) would make the most sense because it uses DDR SDRAM just like the 478 does.

linux_0

Splendid

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
If your current setup is fine I would stick with that for a month or two and build a separate new system based upon AM2 or Conroe, you have future upgradablity with this.

You can take some things like 2 hard drives over to a new system and leave the old one for other day to day uses or sell/pass on to someone else.

urir10

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Ok im not sure i understand all the pin and socket talk got me confused.
Will i have to get a new memory or cpu if i get the nForce4 S939 because it looks like a nice bord for a nice price.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Will i have to get a new memory or cpu if i get the nForce4 S939 because it looks like a nice bord for a nice price.

The memory you can use.
The CPU you will need to buy new.

What is the breakdown of the 3gig of your memory?

linux_0

Splendid

As Datman said you can keep your RAM because it is 184pin DDR-SDRAM ( hopefully PC3200 / DDR400 ).

But you will have to spend $100 or more on a new CPU or you can see how well AM2 performs which is being released today.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Well after looking around, I found 1 at ZipZoomFly, but it's out of stock and I'm thinking it will be forever. If you are from the UK or elsewhere in Europe then I think you may be in luck, cause looking through google real quick it looked like a few shops in the UK and in some other areas of Europe that there were a few for sale.

linux_0

Splendid

Datman and Spikke made some good suggestions unfortunately socket 478 has been mostly dead for quite a while now.

Socket 939 on the other hand still has a little bit of life left in it which is why I recommended it. It will allow you to keep your 184pin DDR SDRAM and make the most of it. The only problem is you'll have to purchase a new CPU along with an S939 motherboard.

In fact S939 beats many Intel CPUs with DDR2-666 or DDR2-800 as well as AMD's socket AM2 with DDR2 which was released on the 23rd.

An open boxed ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 will cost you about $40 USD + $107 USD for an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core which isn't a bad upgrade considering that a new LGA775 975X board will cost you about $240 USD + $130 - $1,100 for the CPU + $100 - $200 or more for DDR2 RAM + $300 for a nice PCI-E VGA.

The Socket 478 motherboards that Datman and Spikke suggested sell for about $150 USD ( IF you can find them ) which is the price of an open box ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 + a 3000+ Venice S939.

You might be able to find those S478+PCI-E boards a bit cheaper but few vendors carry them and the i915 chipset is not very good.

The kewl thing about the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 is that it has a REAL FULL speed AGP 8x slot and a REAL FULL speed PCI-E X16 slot and is upgradeable to AM2 and will take an S939 or AM2 Dual Core CPU as well, granted it's not as good as an nForce4 but it's dirt cheap. :-D

linux_0

Splendid
Ok i guesse i will be buying a new cpu as well. Will that mobo work for me with my current ram?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ASUS-A8N-SLI-Deluxe-AMD-Socket-939-Athlon-64FX-MB_W0QQitemZ6886636369QQcategoryZ99245QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and which cpu would you suggest to buy with that. something better than i have now?

As long as your RAM is 184pin DDR400 / PC3200 any Socket 939 board should work.

You can confirm what kind of RAM you have with memtest86 http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip, CPU-Z or SiSoft Sandra

If you plan to OC the DFI LanParty boards OC very well. If you want stability ASUS is decent although a bit expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907495+107191007&Subcategory=22&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

DFI, ASUS, Epox, Abit, MSI, Foxconn tend to be decent.

ECS is junk avoid at all costs.

The 6100 and 6150 series have onboard VGA. The nForce4 series do not so you'll need a PCI-E VGA.

urir10

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
If you want stability ASUS is decent although a bit expensive.

Yeah i always had asus and liked it alot i think i will stick with it.

How about the cpu would you suggest AMD or intel and wich one. I dont want to spend crazy money on those dual once because they cost a fortune!

So what would you suggest as a good cpu for a decent price (but a bit better then what i have now)?

linux_0

Splendid
If you want stability ASUS is decent although a bit expensive.

Yeah i always had asus and liked it alot i think i will stick with it.

How about the cpu would you suggest AMD or intel and wich one. I dont want to spend crazy money on those dual once because they cost a fortune!

So what would you suggest as a good cpu for a decent price (but a bit better then what i have now)?

AMD Socket 939 3000+ or better.

What kind of RAM and VGA do you currently have?

You can always upgrade one component at a time if you were to go with the ASRock board ( ASUS value brand ).

urir10

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I have :

3 GB ram - 1gb kingston + 1gb kingston + 2x512mb
Geforce 6800 GT AGP

and btw is anythig higher than 3000 will be better then what i have now?