BCI 3 / 6 Compatibility

Long story short.
Canon S530D gave unrecoverable error blink (according to Canon
Trouble-shooter) after 15 months . (Uses BCI 3 colours ) I replaced it with
Pixma ip 3000 using BCI 6 colours. Very happy.
I wanted to use the Memory Card Reader utility of the S530D, so I hooked it
back up and so far, no error. I threw all the BCI 3 carts out but I have a
bunch of BCI 6s.
If I understand correctly, they are physically the same size but the
formulation is different ? I was thinking that I'd reconnect the S530 and
use it mostly for text printing to spread the wear around but I don't want
to have to buy BCI 3 colours just to do that. Is there any reason why I
can't use BCI6s ? I'm not really worried about damaging the S530 as I was
going to dump it anyway. If the worst happens, I'll just use it for the
Memory Card function.

TIA!!

There shouldn't be any problem in doing this. You probably won't even see
any difference in colors. If the printer eventually goes out completely,
memory card readers are dirt cheap and sometimes free after rebate.
--
Ron Cohen

"Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> There shouldn't be any problem in doing this. You probably won't even see
> any difference in colors. If the printer eventually goes out completely,
> memory card readers are dirt cheap and sometimes free after rebate.
> --
> Ron Cohen
>
> "Barney Rubble" <nowhere@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> Long story short.
>> Canon S530D gave unrecoverable error blink (according to Canon
>> Trouble-shooter) after 15 months . (Uses BCI 3 colours ) I replaced it
>> with Pixma ip 3000 using BCI 6 colours. Very happy.
>> I wanted to use the Memory Card Reader utility of the S530D, so I hooked
>> it back up and so far, no error. I threw all the BCI 3 carts out but I
>> have a bunch of BCI 6s.
>> If I understand correctly, they are physically the same size but the
>> formulation is different ? I was thinking that I'd reconnect the S530 and
>> use it mostly for text printing to spread the wear around but I don't
>> want to have to buy BCI 3 colours just to do that. Is there any reason
>> why I can't use BCI6s ? I'm not really worried about damaging the S530 as
>> I was going to dump it anyway. If the worst happens, I'll just use it for
>> the Memory Card function.
>>
>> TIA!!

Thanks Ron. That's what I thought. I have a stand alone card reader for my
Memory Stick Only and the PC card for the printer ads 4 more after I spent
$70 for a PC Card adapter that is now useless also

Barney Rubble wrote:
> "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> There shouldn't be any problem in doing this. You probably won't
>> even see any difference in colors. If the printer eventually goes
>> out completely, memory card readers are dirt cheap and sometimes
>> free after rebate. --
>> Ron Cohen
>>
>> "Barney Rubble" <nowhere@nothing.com> wrote in message
>>> Long story short.
>>> Canon S530D gave unrecoverable error blink (according to Canon
>>> Trouble-shooter) after 15 months . (Uses BCI 3 colours ) I
>>> replaced it with Pixma ip 3000 using BCI 6 colours. Very happy.
>>> I wanted to use the Memory Card Reader utility of the S530D, so I
>>> hooked it back up and so far, no error. I threw all the BCI 3 carts
>>> out but I have a bunch of BCI 6s.
>>> If I understand correctly, they are physically the same size but the
>>> formulation is different ? I was thinking that I'd reconnect the
>>> S530 and use it mostly for text printing to spread the wear around
>>> but I don't want to have to buy BCI 3 colours just to do that. Is
>>> there any reason why I can't use BCI6s ? I'm not really worried
>>> about damaging the S530 as I was going to dump it anyway. If the
>>> worst happens, I'll just use it for the Memory Card function.
>>>
>>> TIA!!
>>>

> Thanks Ron. That's what I thought. I have a stand alone card reader
> for my Memory Stick Only and the PC card for the printer ads 4 more
> after I spent $70 for a PC Card adapter that is now useless also

Right now i use my left over BCI3e set from my old i550 in my new
ip4000...so far so good. I didn't print any photo yet, but on normal paper i
see no difference. I just didn't want to throw away brand new set of inks...

Barney Rubble wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Barney Rubble wrote:
>>> "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks Ron. That's what I thought. I have a stand alone card reader
>>> for my Memory Stick Only and the PC card for the printer ads 4 more
>>> after I spent $70 for a PC Card adapter that is now useless also
>>
>> Right now i use my left over BCI3e set from my old i550 in my new
>> ip4000...so far so good. I didn't print any photo yet, but on normal
>> paper i see no difference. I just didn't want to throw away brand
>> new set of inks...
>> I know what you mean...I felt the same way but I was so pi**ed off
>> when the S530D died, I just chucked everything out! I almost did the
>> same thing with the printer but came to my senses before it was too
>> late!

Lucky one..
i dismounted my i550 to smallest pieces... what's good in it are two
motors... :)))
it took same time - about 15 months and colors were start to mix, so if i
was to print ok, i was forced to run a few clean cycles and print dummy page
or two....Then i bought brand new set of carts (since i was refilling, i
thought maybe cars are gone) and when it was the same, i went and buy
ip4000. Afterwards i've read some stuff about head dying with original
carts, so i think i will refill with this one, too...