fomatting a disc.....help

ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
please
13 answers Last reply
More about fomatting disc help

    1. If the disk you want to format is a floppy disk, insert it into its drive.
    2. Open My Computer, and then click the disk you want to format.
    3. On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "cat" wrote:

    | ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
    | to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
    | please

    The floppy must be in the drive then right click the floppy drive icon and
    select Format
    or
    with the floppy in the drive go to Start->Run and type the following and
    press Enter
    format a:

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "cat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
    > to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
    > please

    HELP! Can't wipe and format my hard drive - running Win XP Home (stupid,
    stupid program!) What do I do? (Had Win98 earlier - no problem wiping and
    formatting the drive! Win XP makes this ridiculously difficult)

    "cat" wrote:

    > ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
    > to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
    > please

    XP makes it very simple, set the BIOS to boot from the CD,
    put the XP CD in the drive and reboot. Press enter when
    prompted and select install, read the instructions on how to
    delete the partition, create partition and format them.

    "constantcomputertrouble"
    <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | HELP! Can't wipe and format my hard drive - running Win
    XP Home (stupid,
    | stupid program!) What do I do? (Had Win98 earlier - no
    problem wiping and
    | formatting the drive! Win XP makes this ridiculously
    difficult)

    | "cat" wrote:
    |
    | > ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
    | > to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
    | > please

    I would like to, Jim, but I can't get into the dos program that allows me to
    do any kind of formatting on my hard drive. I definitely haven't got a clue
    as to how to set the BIOS to boot from the CD (sorry, not very savvy about
    this stuff yet)

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > XP makes it very simple, set the BIOS to boot from the CD,
    > put the XP CD in the drive and reboot. Press enter when
    > prompted and select install, read the instructions on how to
    > delete the partition, create partition and format them.

    > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | HELP! Can't wipe and format my hard drive - running Win
    > XP Home (stupid,
    > | stupid program!) What do I do? (Had Win98 earlier - no
    > problem wiping and
    > | formatting the drive! Win XP makes this ridiculously
    > difficult)
    > |
    > | "cat" wrote:
    > |
    > | > ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
    > | > to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
    > | > please

    Turn on the computer and press the proper key which open the
    setup program (BIOS). Do you have a manual with your
    computer? You should find instruction there. There are
    many possible keys that are used to open the BIOS...
    Esc or F2 sometimes del or F12, can be almost anything.

    |I would like to, Jim, but I can't get into the dos program
    that allows me to
    | do any kind of formatting on my hard drive. I definitely
    haven't got a clue
    | as to how to set the BIOS to boot from the CD (sorry, not
    very savvy about
    | this stuff yet)
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > XP makes it very simple, set the BIOS to boot from the
    CD,
    | > put the XP CD in the drive and reboot. Press enter when
    | > prompted and select install, read the instructions on
    how to
    | > delete the partition, create partition and format them.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in
    | > message

    | > | HELP! Can't wipe and format my hard drive - running
    Win
    | > XP Home (stupid,
    | > | stupid program!) What do I do? (Had Win98 earlier - no
    | > problem wiping and
    | > | formatting the drive! Win XP makes this ridiculously
    | > difficult)
    | > |
    | > | "cat" wrote:
    | > |
> [...]

    No manual was given to me, I'm afraid. My cousin (certified comp. tech) gave
    me this computer. I had to replace the hard drive, video card, and modem card
    (I now have high-speed), but he never installed the help files or anything.
    None of the F keys get me into the BIOS program, either. Any other ideas?

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Turn on the computer and press the proper key which open the
    > setup program (BIOS). Do you have a manual with your
    > computer? You should find instruction there. There are
    > many possible keys that are used to open the BIOS...
    > Esc or F2 sometimes del or F12, can be almost anything.
    >

    > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > |I would like to, Jim, but I can't get into the dos program
    > that allows me to
    > | do any kind of formatting on my hard drive. I definitely
    > haven't got a clue
    > | as to how to set the BIOS to boot from the CD (sorry, not
    > very savvy about
    > | this stuff yet)
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > |
    > | > XP makes it very simple, set the BIOS to boot from the
    > CD,
    > | > put the XP CD in the drive and reboot. Press enter when
    > | > prompted and select install, read the instructions on
    > how to
    > | > delete the partition, create partition and format them.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | >

    > | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in
    > | > message

    > Win
    > | > XP Home (stupid,
    > | > problem wiping and
    > | > difficult)
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > how
    > me

    Call your cousin

    | No manual was given to me, I'm afraid. My cousin
    (certified comp. tech) gave
    | me this computer. I had to replace the hard drive, video
    card, and modem card
    | (I now have high-speed), but he never installed the help
    files or anything.
    | None of the F keys get me into the BIOS program, either.
    Any other ideas?

    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Turn on the computer and press the proper key which open
    the
    | > setup program (BIOS). Do you have a manual with your
    | > computer? You should find instruction there. There are
    | > many possible keys that are used to open the BIOS...
    | > Esc or F2 sometimes del or F12, can be almost anything.
    | >

    | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in
    | > message

    | > |I would like to, Jim, but I can't get into the dos
    program
    | > that allows me to
    | > | do any kind of formatting on my hard drive. I
    definitely
    | > haven't got a clue
    | > | as to how to set the BIOS to boot from the CD (sorry,
    not
    | > very savvy about
    | > | this stuff yet)
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    | > |
    | > CD,
    | > how to

    overcome.

    | > wrote in

    running
    | > Win
    earlier - no
    ridiculously
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > how
    xp.........help
    | > me

    Wish I could, Jim, but he's nowhere to be found, I'm afraid. I guess I'll
    just have to figure things out as I go along. Oh, well. Thanks for trying to
    help me...:)

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Call your cousin
    >
    > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | No manual was given to me, I'm afraid. My cousin
    > (certified comp. tech) gave
    > | me this computer. I had to replace the hard drive, video
    > card, and modem card
    > | (I now have high-speed), but he never installed the help
    > files or anything.
    > | None of the F keys get me into the BIOS program, either.
    > Any other ideas?
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Turn on the computer and press the proper key which open
    > the
    > | > setup program (BIOS). Do you have a manual with your
    > | > computer? You should find instruction there. There are
    > | > many possible keys that are used to open the BIOS...
    > | > Esc or F2 sometimes del or F12, can be almost anything.
    > | >

    > | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in
    > | > message

    > program
    > | > that allows me to
    > definitely
    > | > haven't got a clue
    > not
    > | > very savvy about
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > the
    > | > CD,
    > when
    > on
    > | > how to
    > them.

    > rights;
    > overcome.

    > | > wrote in

    > running
    > | > Win
    > earlier - no
    > ridiculously
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > out
    > | > how
    > xp.........help
    > | > me

    Do you know the name of the computer and the model number?
    You can go on-line and download the manuals and instructions
    for the computer. If you don't know, you can download
    EVEREST www.lavalys.com or ADVISOR from www.belarc.com
    These programs will report the details of your system, so
    you can find the info you need, the name of the BIOS.

    | Wish I could, Jim, but he's nowhere to be found, I'm
    afraid. I guess I'll
    | just have to figure things out as I go along. Oh, well.
    Thanks for trying to
    | help me...:)
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Call your cousin
    | >
    | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in
    | > message

    | > | No manual was given to me, I'm afraid. My cousin
    | > (certified comp. tech) gave
    | > | me this computer. I had to replace the hard drive,
    video
    | > card, and modem card
    | > | (I now have high-speed), but he never installed the
    help
    | > files or anything.
    | > | None of the F keys get me into the BIOS program,
    either.
    | > Any other ideas?
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    | > |
    | > the
    your
    anything.

    | > wrote in

    | > program
    | > definitely
    (sorry,
    | > not
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > the
    | > when
    instructions
    | > on
    format
    | > them.

    | > rights;
    | > overcome.

    <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | > running
    | > earlier - no
    | > ridiculously
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > out
    | > xp.........help

    Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou Jim! I'll check out those sites, and
    let you know how things turn out :-)

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Do you know the name of the computer and the model number?
    > You can go on-line and download the manuals and instructions
    > for the computer. If you don't know, you can download
    > EVEREST www.lavalys.com or ADVISOR from www.belarc.com
    > These programs will report the details of your system, so
    > you can find the info you need, the name of the BIOS.
    >

    > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | Wish I could, Jim, but he's nowhere to be found, I'm
    > afraid. I guess I'll
    > | just have to figure things out as I go along. Oh, well.
    > Thanks for trying to
    > | help me...:)
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Call your cousin
    > | >
    > | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    > | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in
    > | > message

    > | > (certified comp. tech) gave
    > video
    > | > card, and modem card
    > help
    > | > files or anything.
    > either.
    > | > Any other ideas?
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > open
    > | > the
    > your
    > are
    > anything.

    > | > wrote in

    > | > program
    > | > definitely
    > (sorry,
    > | > not
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > from
    > | > the
    > enter
    > | > when
    > instructions
    > | > on
    > format
    > | > them.

    > | > rights;
    > | > overcome.

    > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>

    > | > running
    > | > earlier - no
    > | > ridiculously
    > | > | > | > |
    > | > | > | > |
    > figure
    > | > out
    > | > xp.........help

    Just send the money to the RNC

    | Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou Jim! I'll check
    out those sites, and
    | let you know how things turn out :-)
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Do you know the name of the computer and the model
    number?
    | > You can go on-line and download the manuals and
    instructions
    | > for the computer. If you don't know, you can download
    | > EVEREST www.lavalys.com or ADVISOR from www.belarc.com
    | > These programs will report the details of your system,
    so
    | > you can find the info you need, the name of the BIOS.
    | >

    | > "constantcomputertrouble"
    | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in
    | > message

    | > | Wish I could, Jim, but he's nowhere to be found, I'm
    | > afraid. I guess I'll
    | > | just have to figure things out as I go along. Oh,
    well.
    | > Thanks for trying to
    | > | help me...:)
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    | > |

    | > wrote in

    | > video
    | > help
    | > either.
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > open
    | > your
    There
    | > are
    BIOS...
    | > anything.

    <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | > (sorry,
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > from
    Press
    | > enter
    | > instructions
    | > format

    | > <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com>

    drive -
    | > | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > | > |
    | > figure

    Carey,

    You've quoted Help/Support exactly but in WinXP Professional it won't work
    as they describe it.

    3. On the file menu, click Format
    [that middle instruction doesn't refer to anything on the File menu...
    Format's the item that gets you to the Format dialog box.].

    Kathy

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > 1. If the disk you want to format is a floppy disk, insert it into its drive.
    > 2. Open My Computer, and then click the disk you want to format.
    > 3. On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "cat" wrote:
    >
    > | ok i am not a complete idiot but i can't figure out how
    > | to format a 3.5 disk using windows xp.........help me
    > | please

Windows XP Microsoft Format