Apple Could Phase Out iPad 2 Due to iPad Mini Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
For that price tag you might as well go with the other 7" tablets like Kindle Fire HD and get an Amazon Prime subscription and get A LOT more bang for your buck

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

No, Apple actually supports the older hardware until the older hardware can no longer support a newer iOS. They will always keep a few new features from being applied to the older devices, as incentive to buy a newer device, but you will always be able to download and install the newest iOS until Apple thinks the performance will take too much of a hit on an older device.

[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]For that price tag you might as well go with the other 7" tablets like Kindle Fire HD and get an Amazon Prime subscription and get A LOT more bang for your buck[/citation]
I never thought I'd say this, but I'd buy an iPad Mini over a Kindle Fire after reading this:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Kindle-Deleted-Books-Closed-Account-Martin-Bekkelund,news-16204.html

I've never heard of Apple remotely wiping an iPad, but this is the second story I've heard where Amazon has remotely deleted content that consumers have paid for (the first was the notorious 1984 incident). I'll be willing to change my tune if someone can share a story of Apple doing this (believe me, I'm not a fan of theirs), but yeah...

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]I never thought I'd say this, but I'd buy an iPad Mini over a Kindle Fire after reading this:http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Kindle [...] 16204.htmlI've never heard of Apple remotely wiping an iPad, but this is the second story I've heard where Amazon has remotely deleted content that consumers have paid for (the first was the notorious 1984 incident). I'll be willing to change my tune if someone can share a story of Apple doing this (believe me, I'm not a fan of theirs), but yeah...[/citation]
i had read about apple wiping the whole user experience out of a reporter not only their ipad but amen that is just my 2 cent

[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]i had read about apple wiping the whole user experience out of a reporter not only their ipad but amen that is just my 2 cent[/citation]
Okay, yes, I knew about that, too. But that's a different situation. The guy was the target of an attack, and the attacker used social engineering to gain access to his machines through someone at Apple support who obviously was not prepared to be in their position.

Again, I'm not making excuses for Apple; they got caught with their pants down. But as incompetent as they were, they believed they were acting in accordance to their customer's wishes. That wasn't the deal with either of the Amazon incidents.

Edit: It also bears mentioning that one of the reasons that hack was successful was issues with Amazon's security... :sarcastic: The whole sordid tale is told here, and there's plenty of blame to spread around: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

Status
Not open for further replies.