ASix 975X Enthusiast Motherboards for Today and Tomorrow

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Although AMD's next-generation platform is here now, the anticipation surrounding the upcoming Intel processor is tremendous. The latest motherboard generation is powerful and well equipped, and this means more choices for the consumer. Which one will make you happy?

shewhorn

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Interesting article. With regards to the Asus P5WD2-E Premium supporting Conroe has there actually been a confirmation from Asus that it will support Conroe? I've seen a few conflicting reports saying that although it has a 975x chipset and that the bios supports going down to 1.2 volts, it would still need a modification to the VRM in order to work with Conroe.

I called Asus and their position is that they can't have a position until it's released.

Cheers, Joe

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Come on Tom's! Your bias is showing :x

In the opening paragraphs of the article you seemingly gloat over the fact that the fastest dual-core Pentium can pretty much keep up with an AMD FX-60. Wow! Gosh! Imagine that, a DUAL-CORE CPU can keep up with an AMD SINGLE CORE chip! You're going to have to do a lot better than that if youwant me to pay any attention to your articles.

Why not do the honest thing and run head-to-head real-world tests of COMPARABLE chps?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Come on Tom's! Your bias is showing :x

In the opening paragraphs of the article you seemingly gloat over the fact that the fastest dual-core Pentium can pretty much keep up with an AMD FX-60. Wow! Gosh! Imagine that, a DUAL-CORE CPU can keep up with an AMD SINGLE CORE chip! You're going to have to do a lot better than that if youwant me to pay any attention to your articles.

Why not do the honest thing and run head-to-head real-world tests of COMPARABLE chps?

You have WAY too many posts to not know that an FX-60 is a dual core CPU. Either you just showed some extreme ignorance or perhaps were being sarcastic.

shewhorn

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Specifically I'm talking about VRM 11 requirements. Has anyone actually confirmed that the Asus P5WD2-E Premium actually supports VRM 11???

Cheers, Joe

Steelgrave

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I'd like to know what problems/bugs you guys experienced with the Intel 975 board. The reason I ask is because I started building a PC this past weekend using that board. 3 Boards, 2 cpu's and 2 sets of memory later I have the same issues... :evil:

raf

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
these motherboards are all socket 775 (i.e. intel dual core).
conroe etc. are supposed to be socket 479 (i.e. intel core duo).
if so, none of these particular motherboards can support conroe.
the 975 chipset itself is another story. there is one socket 479
motherboard with the 975 chipset (AOpen i975Xa-YDG)
and no doubt more will follow.

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Well Intel says it is a 800 / 1066 (200, 266 x 4) Front side bus. BUT this article shows a 133/166/200/266 FSB setting in BIOS? see here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/22/six_975x_enthusiast_motherboard...or_toda

I went ahead and ordered a 805D and the D975XBX, in hopes it will work. If not, no biggy just be buying another CPU!

The reason I bought this board is Asus has lost the quality rating in my eyes recently (my opinion / experience) and the Gigabyte board was sold out with all the retailers I 'trust.'

I have been an AMD fan for quite a while (bang for buck) but this has recently changed, AMD raised prices but not performance. With the new AM2 performance lost with DDR2 running idle....and costs comparable to intel.....I loved the pentium M running a ASUS 479 adapter with Asus mobos, all about keeping your cool....not to mention components last longer. So I am swaying back to intel, in favor of the 'old' P3 architeture (Pent. M, duo core, Conroe...)

I remember running my slot 1 P2's at 100FSB (native 66 fsb - had to cover up one of the pins...anyone remember that?) and thought the k6/2 sucked in comparison. But then the Socket 'A' was born, cheap cheap cheap and high performance. AMD won my vote, plus Intel P3's were worth their weight in gold. But now, it seems to have come full circle in my mind, "move over AMD -- Intel is back and keeping their cool!" Not to mention the Intel D975XBX mobo - it actually has overclocking/voltage settings! unheard of, way to go intel.

So can anyone out there confirm the use of a 805D with a D975XBX Intel mobo???

Last Chance (EbuyC)

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Well it wont post with the 805D for me... :?

It is Board revision 304, not 302 so maybe a 302 would different results?

But I dont have another set of memory to check either.

I have patriot DDR2-800 (in anticipation of Conroe..) 4-4-4-12

I will order some DDR2-667 with better timing marks, and a cheap ABIT or ECS board and try agian for this CPU.

For the 'bad axe' mobo - "Where's my Conroe!?"

If anyone else has got the D975XBX & 805D to post- please POST here and lets others know. At this point looks like 'NOT' though.

ghangas

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Howdy,

I have worked with both 302s and 304s paired with 805s and have found the key is having qualified memory. Be sure to verify your memory exactly matches the qualified memory list (see page one of this article). Once the memory issue has been solved the next most important issue is BIOS updates. Even if you are not able to get the board to post you may be able to use BIOS recovery from floppy or CD to breathe life into your system.

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Thx for that input, I should be receiving some more memory today. I did try the patriot ddr2-800 in a abit aw8 board and it would not post either, so I am pretty sure it is the memory. I just wonder why the mobos dont have post errors, old mobos woulld beep at me, telling me it was memory or video......the abit board has a LED readout - and it throws a 7F and then nada. I checked the mannual and it is way to vague. I suppose it could be my powersupply too (but highly doubt it, still a bad PS will do some very strange things!)- I ordered a backup PS too. So today the rest of my parts should be here, and I will post my results. I am pleased to hear the 805D will still work with my intel 975x board.

Last Chance (EbuyC)

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have worked with both 302s and 304s paired with 805s

Well I finally figured out my problems! Is was not the memory, nor the power supply, nor the CPU, nor the video card... well sorta on the video card.

It was a broken wire in my test monitors cable. I was aware I had a broken wire near the plug end, as it was affecting color on the computers I worked on. It has been hooked up to thousands of computers, and it is in need of repair.

So anyways, the newer video cards have obviously gotten smarter. I am using some cheaper x1300 and x1600 cards for these computers. You gamers know these are ok but nothing special. I bought them because they both have heat pipes instead of fans. I would much rather change a case fan, then try and repair a propitory video/mobo fan.

This explains why I couldnt get any posting errors, just no video. I found this strange, but it didnt dawn on me that the video card was not initializing because it was detecting the defective monitor equipment!

At first I thought it to be the CPU, back in the Slot-1 days that was classic. The contacts would tarnish a little and no video and/or post. I thought the 533fsb of the 805D was non compatible (at first). But then after buying a 930D, and same issue I went to the memory,video,mobo,PS. Tried everything.....

Then all of the sudden the abit board lit up. I got a strange error " 50 ohm otd not supported, memory downgraded" Well after a little research I determined OTD = on die termination and the 50ohm is usually DDR2 667-800. The 533 DDR2 runs at 75ohm. So no biggy, memory was DDR2 667 with 3-3-3-6 marks! Way to fast anyways....(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820178090 - I know PNY...)

But when I tried to reboot computer, the wired moved enough not to post, I finally tried a different monitor and voila!

My patriot DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220143)works great with these boards.

Well hope this helps someone, was quite irriatating there for a while, I like a challenge but this monitor dumb founded me. Nothing worse than getting whooped by a puter.

My AW8 running the 805D at 3.2GHz and hasnt went over 30C even under load! I love that zalman cooler, going to use on all P4 builds form now on. Anything that can chop the stock temps in half...wow! Plus the screwed mounting is way better than those damn puch clips- those things scare me. definately not for a lan party machine that gets jarred now and then.

last chance (EbuyC)

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
I think that 30C is you chipset temp. 30C is 86F. If you look at the article on the 805 the load temps of the 805 with the zalman at stock is 64C. I know that you did not get THAT good of an 805, no one will, the thermal dynamics do not even make sense. I get 60-65C load with a AC Freezer 7 at 3.34GHz under full load. Now unless you are talking about water cooling (I don't know those brands every well, I know of Thermaltake) that would make perfect sense. But if you are on air, I would recommend you check real careful before your CPU burns up.

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I would recommend you check real careful before your CPU burns up.

I am sorry but if you read a little closer to the articles - you will discover the thermal protection keeps that very unlikely.

Well I posted those temp's a few hours after assembly, I have managed to hit 59C under heavy load. But on AVERAGE my chipset is 10C HOTTER than my CPU! And runs under 100F [38C] almost always unless encoding/gaming.

I am using a tsumani dream case. It has a 120mm input fan in the front, on in the back, one in the powersupply, and a 80mm side fan. And of course the Zalman CPU cooler. Plus the video card has a two slot design that has a heat chamber attached to the heat pipes off the GPU. This keeps 80%+ of the GPU temp outside the case. Since I am running dual raptors they both have HD coolers as well. The AW8 also has the chipset heat pipe ported out the back, it is all copper. So with 9 heat pipes and the three 120mm fans, this case remains very cool. Of course the computer runs in an air conditioned office- a steady 62F....

the thermal dynamics do not even make sense

I think you need to try a Zalman cooler. It probably has 3 times the surface area your freezer has! That freezer really doesnt sound much better than the stock paper weight. Further the Freezer costs around $30, the Zalman $60...there is a reason for this.

Also Knight - I hold a 2000+ chess rating at yahoo [hchance72] - I have a feeling you wouldnt stand a CHANCE.....especially in a blitz setting. You need to really think on your toes. And I see little evidence of that here, just opinion. Thx for your input, but you are wrong in your OPINIONs that I was describing a chipset temp.... :roll:

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
after thought : Knights XFX 7800 - [el cheapo] probably runs fairly hot and adds to his overall case temps, wich in turn limits the cooling ability of the CPU cooler. Logically the COLDER the air moving over it......hmmm