Geforce 6600 GT overheats or CPU maulfuntion?

9xcalibur9

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Hi,
I've got a Gigabye 6600 GT and a P4 3.0MHZ CPU.
The problem starts each time the CPU reaches a temparture of over 50C. It terribly slows me down altough any common technician says that Intel starts working at 48C. Over at the shop they told me to check if the graphics card is getting over heated. I've checked and it doesnt go over 89C while playing massively intensed games - although i have no idea if that's normal or not.

Any ideas?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Your system is running way to hot dude sure the tech say what they want but my experience tells me different, anything over 50 is to hot the reason is being the air flow in the case is not working enough to cool down the other componts like voltage regulators, coils transformers I do know quite a bit about this I have tested different cases and air flows to max out the system. Cooler system is a happy system, I would suggest working on a good air flow.

here is an example
im0009753ba.jpg

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yep is mine cant see it when the top is on beside its not made for looks its made for performance and that is what this case does havent saw one like it yet all the wires are in good use havent had a the time to tape them but some day I will dude I smoked 3 g's of the good stuff while making it.
top0014pl.jpg

no wires now dude
The case is called the spider web look :p

89C??????!! I hope that was a typo. That is WAY too hot. Even the 50C for the CPU is warm. Check your airflow and heat sinks. Did you use a quality thermal paste, like Arctic Silver? Are all fans running? Has the case been blown out this year? A thick coating of dust can be to a PC what Owens-Corning is to your house. If your case doesn't have front and rear openings to allow a push-pull arrangement of fans, then I'd replace the case ASAP with one that does.
Seems to me I've read elsewhere that some 6600 GTs run hot; perhaps an alternate VGA cooler would be a good idea to cool yours down.