Sign in with
Your question

Can I Undo a partition???

Last response: in Storage
May 22, 2006 4:36:22 PM

I just installed a new HDD, And want to undo the partition I have on my other one, Is there anyway I can just undo it and combne it all?

Thanks

More about : undo partition

May 22, 2006 10:52:48 PM

If they are 2 seperate Hard Drives (which it seems like) than you'd have to put them in a RAID, but most likely you don't know how to do that so there is no way to just delete it and have them all be as one, sorry, Windows isn't that cool yet.
May 22, 2006 11:51:11 PM

I am not sure I exactly understand what it is you are asking, but here's my go....

I suppose that you want to take your current hard drive and a new (hopefully identical or at very least very close to identical, spec-wise) disk and combine the two into either a RAID0 (AID0, since there's no redundancy, but I digress) or JBOD and maintain your OS/data on this new conglomeration. Please correct me if this isn't what you had in mind.

The short answer is, like Dr_House said, there's no easy way to do it. It can be done, but i requires some doing and a way to temporarily back up an image of your current disk.

If you have a full, dedicated hardware RAID controller, that makes things much easier, but I am betting that it's one of those on-motherboard partially hardware-based jobs that require software intervention to be used. If this is the case, things just moved from "kinda tricky" to "you better be somewhat familiar with linux or know an imaging tool that supports BIOS RAID images".

Basically, tell us what you have exactly hardware-wise and more clearly what you want, and we will be in a better position to help.
Related resources
May 22, 2006 11:57:28 PM

There no realy easy way to do what you want too do. You *could* possible upgrade your disk from basic to dynamic but thats a one way street and you can't go back. I'm pretty (it been a while though) you can use free space from dynamic disks and combine them into one logical drive however there may be restrictions on boot/system partition. Again it has been a while since I read up on that also only win2k, XP 2k3 will be able to access those disks not something you want to do unless you read up on it first.
May 23, 2006 12:28:31 AM

Quote:
There no realy easy way to do what you want too do. You *could* possible upgrade your disk from basic to dynamic but thats a one way street and you can't go back. I'm pretty (it been a while though) you can use free space from dynamic disks and combine them into one logical drive however there may be restrictions on boot/system partition. Again it has been a while since I read up on that also only win2k, XP 2k3 will be able to access those disks not something you want to do unless you read up on it first.

One thing he can do is create a Volume Mount Folder, where it creates a folder on the first hard drive but the folder really is like a shortcut to another hard drive but it's all viewed on the 1st HDD, that would be his best method.
May 23, 2006 1:55:35 AM

If they are one disk, I believe you can Try to do it with partition magic, though it does not always work. If you have the space, the best thing to do would be to move all the data from the smaller to the larger partition manually, then use whatever manner you shoose to delete the smaller partition and extend the larger one to encompass all of your free space.

If you are on two disks, and I beleive you are, the only safe option is to backup all the data from both disks and create a RAID partition using either Spanning or RAID0, as has been mentioed before.
May 23, 2006 2:15:20 AM

Yeah , thats what I wanted to do, Take 1 of my Hard drives which I split into C:/(windows files) and D:/(all other) I wanted to just make it a c:/ scince I have a new hard drive, the old one was only 80 gig, and I had windows restricted to 14 gig, it did get a little cluttered in there from time to time
May 23, 2006 2:22:03 AM

There is no integrated RAID controller (on regular motherboards at least) that has RAID JBOD (Spanning) in Hardware, and since you can't install an OS to a Software RAID (that'd be kinda weird) you're going to have to mount your 2nd HDD onto the first one as a Volume Mount Folder. You will than see a folder inside the root of C: and it will be the new 2nd HDD.

You can than copy all your files over to the new Folder (really the drive) and than delete D:, and create another volume mount inside C: again and it will give you 1 drive letter and access to 3 partitions (actually volumes, as I believe this requires a Dynamic Disk).
May 23, 2006 2:46:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah , thats what I wanted to do, Take 1 of my Hard drives which I split into C:/(windows files) and D:/(all other) I wanted to just make it a c:/ scince I have a new hard drive, the old one was only 80 gig, and I had windows restricted to 14 gig, it did get a little cluttered in there from time to time

OK, if you can get Partition Magic or some other partition manager, I would say temporarily move everything from D to the new hard drive and delete D. The you should be able to expand C to fit the entire drive, and you can move your files back. I have done this sort of thing several times, and you just have to be careful, becuase the C drive can run into issues that require recovery console to fix your boot config.
May 23, 2006 3:40:58 AM

Yeah the only tool I would recomend for what you want is Partition Magic there are others out there but PM is like Nortons Ghost alot of Disk clone tools out there but Ghost is the #1 same with Partition Magic #1 :)  Use it love it but back up your data first :) 
May 23, 2006 1:18:11 PM

Partition Magic isn't free, but the gpartd LiveCD is. And it supports almost any filesystem (including FAT32 and NTFS!). Plus you can tell your friends you've used linux to repartition your drives (even though it doesn't look like it). Essentially the same controls as Partition Magic at a fraction of the cost (1/INF).

Happy partitioning.

Edit: Left out the most important part, backup stuff first. I have never had problems (and haven't always back up my data when repartitioning), but that doesn't mean it can't go awry.
May 23, 2006 2:18:22 PM

if the partition you want to undo is a dynamic disk you can't. (partition magic does not work on dynamic disks...)

if by "undoing a partition" you mean to resize it, partition magic will do that.

if by "undoing a partition" you mean coping the old partition to the new drive and resizing it, partition magic will do that (though you may have problems with xp activation...)

if by "undoing a partition" you mean merging two partitions, partition magic can do that.

if by "undoing a partition" you taking two harddrives and combining them, you can do that too, except it gets complicated.
Because if your old drive is the system drive and the new drive contains data, you will need to move resize and transfer, and merge...
May 23, 2006 2:42:47 PM

Assuming you have room on the new disk, what I would do is create a temp folder on your new disk, move all the data off the old disks 2 partitions, remove the partition, reformat the old disk, then move the data back.

I will never use partition magic or any other utility like that, but I know people use it and have had success with it. I prefer the brut force method and don't want anything monkeying around with my disks.

EDIT: Oh, I see you want to leave the OS on the current C drive and just get rid of the second partition. What I would do in that case is move all the data off D, ghost C to an image on the new disk, remove the partition and then pull the ghost back. But, like I said, i would do that because I wouldn't personally choose to use partition magic or anything similar.
!