Russian scenery?

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

Any decent freeware or even payware Russian scenery out there? I'm in the
midst of a world tour that seen me take off from Scotland west coast
(Macrihanish) up to my local base, RAF Lossiemouth, then visited ...
Inverness, Wick, Shetland and Orkney, visited Norway, Sweden, Finland and
have arrived at Moscow in Russia, the thing that struck me with the default
Russian scenery is how bland it is ... I plan to visit a few more airports
in Russia before heading down to the Caspian Sea, that will give me some
nice options for my world hike, would really appreciate some links for
better Russian scenery if any exists?

Cheers.

Colin

For new areas, I always start now with Heather Sherman's scenery index;
this lists a number of freeware files:
http://fly-heather.avsim.net/asia_Russia.html

For terrain not covered there, consider buying the FSGenesis mesh
packaged as World Extreme Landscapes (WEL) for US$30. You can get
chunks of this online for US$10, but Russia is so big that by the time
you get all of it you might as well buy WEL and get everything else
thrown in.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> For new areas, I always start now with Heather Sherman's scenery index;
> this lists a number of freeware files:
> http://fly-heather.avsim.net/asia_Russia.html
>
> For terrain not covered there, consider buying the FSGenesis mesh
> packaged as World Extreme Landscapes (WEL) for US$30. You can get
> chunks of this online for US$10, but Russia is so big that by the time
> you get all of it you might as well buy WEL and get everything else
> thrown in.

Even the free world 70 meter mesh does not cover north Russia. But the
south may work, I will try later on to see.

http://xs42.xs.to/pics/05334/70_meter_mesh.jpg

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

> David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
>
>> For new areas, I always start now with Heather Sherman's scenery index;
>> this lists a number of freeware files:
>> http://fly-heather.avsim.net/asia_Russia.html For terrain not covered
>> there, consider buying the FSGenesis mesh
>> packaged as World Extreme Landscapes (WEL) for US$30. You can get
>> chunks of this online for US$10, but Russia is so big that by the time
>> you get all of it you might as well buy WEL and get everything else
>> thrown in.
>>

> Even the free world 70 meter mesh does not cover north Russia. But the
> south may work, I will try later on to see.
>
> http://xs42.xs.to/pics/05334/70_meter_mesh.jpg
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Thanks for the replies, will look into buying World Extreme Landscapes soon.

Cheers.

Colin