Pocket Excel conversion

November 9, 2004 4:23:05 AM

HELP! I have a problem with pocket excel, excel and activ sync. I have a
desktop spreadsheet that contains multiple tabs and in syncs normally to my
ppc. However, recently the file sync'd and now on the ppc it shows an error
'An error occurred reading 'Petrol 2004' because the file is in an invalid
format'. Also on the desktop the file is now showing as 'Petrol 2004.pxl'
and when I try to open it I get the following message 'This file is not a
reconizable format'. Does anyone have any ideas, I really need this
spreadsheet. Thanks
November 9, 2004 10:16:47 AM

Dont know what caused ther error...but you MAY have a backup...

1. Open file explorer(this works with XP) & go to tools menu; click on
tools>folderoptions>view
find "Hidden Files & Folders" check the "Show hidden files and folders"
button.
click apply & OK

2. go to your "C" drive. find "Documents & Settings" Folder.
look under your "user name" > Application Data > Microsoft > ActiveSync >
Profiles > your PocketPc's "Device Name" > Syncronized Files Backup.
hopefully the file your looking for is here.

3. right click on it & select copy. then paste it back into your "Device
name" My Documents folder (replacing the file with the error) on your
desktop and try syncing again.

4. undo step 1 checking "do not show hidden files & folders" click Apply &
OK

Can't guarentee the backup wont have the same error but its worth a try...

-Ted

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 377A515-9285-400C-8878-143C81134156@microsoft.com...
> HELP! I have a problem with pocket excel, excel and activ sync. I have a
> desktop spreadsheet that contains multiple tabs and in syncs normally to
> my
> ppc. However, recently the file sync'd and now on the ppc it shows an
> error
> 'An error occurred reading 'Petrol 2004' because the file is in an invalid
> format'. Also on the desktop the file is now showing as 'Petrol 2004.pxl'
> and when I try to open it I get the following message 'This file is not a
> reconizable format'. Does anyone have any ideas, I really need this
> spreadsheet. Thanks
November 9, 2004 10:16:48 AM

Ted
I can't thank you enough, although using your method only produced an old
file, good lesson in backing up more! It did make me think, and I did a
search for hidden files and found the file with a very bizzare address, which
was a string of numbers think it was a 64 bit code, double click on it, it
asked if I wanted to re-instate, I did and now it works, and the version was
late last week.

Thanks very much
Simon

"Ted" wrote:

> Dont know what caused ther error...but you MAY have a backup...
>
> 1. Open file explorer(this works with XP) & go to tools menu; click on
> tools>folderoptions>view
> find "Hidden Files & Folders" check the "Show hidden files and folders"
> button.
> click apply & OK
>
> 2. go to your "C" drive. find "Documents & Settings" Folder.
> look under your "user name" > Application Data > Microsoft > ActiveSync >
> Profiles > your PocketPc's "Device Name" > Syncronized Files Backup.
> hopefully the file your looking for is here.
>
> 3. right click on it & select copy. then paste it back into your "Device
> name" My Documents folder (replacing the file with the error) on your
> desktop and try syncing again.
>
> 4. undo step 1 checking "do not show hidden files & folders" click Apply &
> OK
>
> Can't guarentee the backup wont have the same error but its worth a try...
>
> -Ted
>
> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 377A515-9285-400C-8878-143C81134156@microsoft.com...
> > HELP! I have a problem with pocket excel, excel and activ sync. I have a
> > desktop spreadsheet that contains multiple tabs and in syncs normally to
> > my
> > ppc. However, recently the file sync'd and now on the ppc it shows an
> > error
> > 'An error occurred reading 'Petrol 2004' because the file is in an invalid
> > format'. Also on the desktop the file is now showing as 'Petrol 2004.pxl'
> > and when I try to open it I get the following message 'This file is not a
> > reconizable format'. Does anyone have any ideas, I really need this
> > spreadsheet. Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:34:33 PM

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 377A515-9285-400C-8878-143C81134156@microsoft.com...
> HELP! I have a problem with pocket excel, excel and activ sync. I have a
> desktop spreadsheet that contains multiple tabs and in syncs normally to
my
> ppc. However, recently the file sync'd and now on the ppc it shows an
error
> 'An error occurred reading 'Petrol 2004' because the file is in an invalid
> format'. Also on the desktop the file is now showing as 'Petrol 2004.pxl'
> and when I try to open it I get the following message 'This file is not a
> reconizable format'. Does anyone have any ideas, I really need this
> spreadsheet. Thanks

You seem to have copied the file from your ppc to your pc without
conversion. copy it through activesync and allow it to convert so that it
can be read.

(pxl is the ppc pocket excel file format , desktop excel can't read it).
November 9, 2004 12:34:34 PM

Thanks, but the ppc cannot read it either

!