US parts work in the UK?

jayb59874

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Hi there, just a quick question, some parts, namely graphics cards and monitors are 40% cheaper in the US as opposed to the UK. Does any1 know of any reason why these would not work in the UK? Thanks for your help

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Graphics cards should work just fine, fun to return for a warranty claim but. :twisted:

Monitors, you might want to check the voltages first. 8O

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I agree with the above poster... the monitor and the power supply to the computer are all that would need to be checked... motherboards and the various other components all accept the same voltages (no matter what country you're from) and it's the job of the power supply to sort that out. Basically, whatever components you plug directly into a wall outlet will be different from country to country. That said, I believe there are travel kits that provide the necessary adapters to use American equipment on non-US outlets... might be worth Googling.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi there, just a quick question, some parts, namely graphics cards and monitors are 40% cheaper in the US as opposed to the UK. Does any1 know of any reason why these would not work in the UK? Thanks for your help

Make sure the graphics card supports PAL if the UK uses it over NTSC. (Cannot remember what UK uses).

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I'm pretty sure that's not an issue, since PAL and NTSC are TV Video standards.

Pretty much every vid card I have seen will support both, since they support multiple resolutions and frame rates.

jayb59874

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Thanks, this is kinda annoying since that the monitor was the biggest saving. The graphics cards and memory are a fair amount cheaper so probably get a friend to bring them back for me. Also, I know this may sound stupid but how do rebates work? Do you simply send the voucher back and they send you a check? I only ask because I have a friend in the US and if I can get money back through rebates he can send that onto me through online banking or paypal. Do they always pay out rebates or sometimes do they screw you over? The PSU is not a concern as probably getting a P150 and that has PSU included :)

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah the ntsc format thing wont be a problem at all. I just plugged my computer into our big tv and CCC gave me a bijillion different video formats i could put my video into.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hergie,

It was meant as a joke... Was hoping for a reply :) Sorry Geek Humor!

Just for the record there is NO UK bit set on the inbound AC :)

Really only two concerns on the power supply Voltage and Cycles.

I beleive that the UK is using 220v @ 50hz the same as used in Autralia/Asia/....
America = 110 - 120V @ 60hz

Most power supplies not only switch the voltage but also handle the cycle change as well.

It should have markings on the PSU itself that state 110 - 220v and 50/60hz

Hope that helps...

Sorry about the geek joke I just had to.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Also,

Just for calrification. PCs use DC for its internal parts/pieces. So all things that are powered from the molex/atx/sata power connectors are running on DC.

So all parts inside the case should be usable anywhere.

The monitor as stated before is a different animal since it also has a power supply. Its power supply should be switchable or you need to buy a site specific device.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hergie,

The way I see it,

If I got even one person to google the "UK bit on AC" then that makes it funny :)

It is like sending the new recruits down to the supply shack to pick up a couple cans of radar paint.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Quite true. I got the joke once you said what it was, I just missed the intent the first time around.

BTW, wouldn't the special coating on the F-177As and B-2As technically be called "radar paint"? J/K :lol:

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Was a whole lot funnier when stealth was not around "that is for sure". :)

The other thing to do is send them to the supply shack for tire paint for the duece and 1/2. This is funny because when you send them you are deployed :) sand, mud and tire paint :)