X1800XT 3DMark less than 5000? dragged by CPU?

jeffreyhsieh99

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2003
Just scored an ATI X1800XT 512MB. Did noticed a few improvements over HIS X850XT IceQ, especially Obvilion.

But I just can't get good score in 3DMark05. Less than 5000 while most reviews show 8000+ even 9000+.

X1800XT has 2D/3D clock. 2D is at about core 599 memory 699, while 3D is at 621/747 as default. According to ATI, 3D clock will be enabled only when 3D application is running. In Catalyst there is no way to manually turn it always on. Is it because of this? How to make 3DMark05 apply 3D clock? 3DMark05 can't recognize the card well and shows totally incorrect core/memory clock.

Okay I'm using Celeron D 331 because I'm waiting for Conroe. But it should not matter that much, right? I set 3DMark05 to run only 3 games, no CPU test. Everything optimal setting.

Also benchmark with F.E.A.R, at 1024x768 no AA/AF, max quality, avg FPS is around 40. Tom's show Sapphire X1800XT OC as 58. Will it become better after upgrading CPU. 40 is not very good but at least not as ridiculous as below 5000 in 3DMark.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Just compare the scores with the CPU they are using as opposed to the one you're using. If by now you don't know Celeries are somewhat lacking for gaming I don't know what to tell you.
With my lowly setup I can hit over 6000, but it's only a benchmark, I use it to see if my settings will work, my real test is the games I play, that's the only true test.

The celery is a bottleneck. At best it is a poor performer when it comes to gaming. Every review article that I've seen had the Celery D 331 as dead last.

Dump that thing as soon as possible. Not too familiar with Celeries, but if it is a LGA 775 socket and you're hoping to drop in a Conroe into your current motherboard, then forget it. Conroe is only compatible with motherboards using the i965 and i975XBX revision 304 chipsets. Both of which are not out yet.

jeffreyhsieh99

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2003
The celery is a bottleneck. At best it is a poor performer when it comes to gaming. Every review article that I've seen had the Celery D 331 as dead last.

Dump that thing as soon as possible. Not too familiar with Celeries, but if it is a LGA 775 socket and you're hoping to drop in a Conroe into your current motherboard, then forget it. Conroe is only compatible with motherboards using the i965 and i975XBX revision 304 chipsets. Both of which are not out yet.

Thanks for the input. Already prepared to replace motherboard... can't resist the temptation of Conroe.

With Celeron D, in fast movement games like NFSMW, sometimes there will be a sudden freeze. Although not too often and not too annoying. It could because of GPU is waiting for data to be feed from CPU. Other than that, the X1800XT does perform excellent and gives me max setting on my 1280x720 23" LCD. I would say GPU is a lot more important than CPU in gaming. I think 3DMark's design makes CPU to become bottleneck. Because in real games, the performance seems not depend so much on CPU. Everytime I upgraded video card, big performance boost for games. When I upgraded CPU, things did not change much.

Will upgrade to Conroe for solely for multiasking, just that it also brings extra benefits to gaming.