HP 1320 laser smell

Hi!

I have a question for those of you who have the HP 1320, which to me
seems a really good laser printer, but I have a question before I buy
it. My old laser used to give up a strong laser smell, even when it was
not printing, and I would like to know if this one does also, as it is
something that I really disliked. I can understand that meanwhile you
are printing it gives up a little but not all the time. Anyone can tell
me? And that would probably be too much, but what alternatives are
there if this one does, you think that 1012 that doesnt have a fan
would make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

In fact that's true :p.

And that was my question, as long as I have it turned off, it won't ?
Because that's what happened with my old one, even when I had it turned
off.

lukygrl@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a question for those of you who have the HP 1320, which to me
> seems a really good laser printer, but I have a question before I buy
> it. My old laser used to give up a strong laser smell, even when it was
> not printing, and I would like to know if this one does also, as it is
> something that I really disliked. I can understand that meanwhile you
> are printing it gives up a little but not all the time. Anyone can tell
> me? And that would probably be too much, but what alternatives are
> there if this one does, you think that 1012 that doesnt have a fan
> would make a difference?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Was you OLD printer really OLD?

Earlier laserjet technologies, such as the HP laserjet II and III models
generated ozone while operating. And this created a smell noticible to some.

It would help if you could define better the OLD printer.

I don't really know what a "Laser Smell" is.

When I mean old, yes I mean really OLD, I think I got it in 95 or so, I
don't print much so it resisted quite a long time. It was a HP LaserJet
5. and with laser smell I mean that characteristic smell that you also
feel when you are inside a room with many photocopy machines, sure you
came across it some time or another. :p

I guess for what you say, yours dosen't, or at least not while not
printing.

On 5 Mar 2005 02:38:06 -0800, lukygrl@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have a question for those of you who have the HP 1320, which to me
>seems a really good laser printer, but I have a question before I buy
>it. My old laser used to give up a strong laser smell, even when it was
>not printing, and I would like to know if this one does also, as it is
>something that I really disliked. I can understand that meanwhile you
>are printing it gives up a little but not all the time. Anyone can tell
>me? And that would probably be too much, but what alternatives are
>there if this one does, you think that 1012 that doesnt have a fan
>would make a difference?
>
>Thanks in advance.

There's always the power switch. : p

On 5-Mar-2005, Just Allan <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote:

> I can understand that meanwhile you
> >are printing it gives up a little but not all the time.

The principle of laser printers is that they are electrostatic,
with a high voltage supply, and corona wires that produce
ozone. The HV, and thus the ozone, should only be
produced during a print cycle, not all the time. My printer
has what is called an ozone filter in the fan assy. it collects
dust as well and needs occasional cleaning. I think it's
catalytic based (foam with a metallic coating).

ALL new desktop laser printers don't produce a "laser smell" at all. Only
the OLD ones used to produce this smell, that's why they had an ozone
filter. Today laser printers don't use a corrona wire thechnology.

--

Yianni

Thank you all. Now I just have to run to the store to buy my new
printer :D.