1gb stick or 2x512 ?

DetConan

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Hello,

Another question (maybe a stupid one, but...). I build a computer (msi k8n-neo4f and athlon 3200+) on a budget and I only want to buy 1gb of RAM to upgrade at 2gb in the future (16 months - 2 years). I want to buy PC3200 valueram. Is it better to buy 1 stick on 1gb or 2 of 512gb ? Because in the second case, when I will upgrade to 2gb, I will have to get 2 other 512gb or buy 2 stick of 1gb... I do not know if it makes a difference but I am not an overclocker.

What is the best scenario for the best performance now and in the future ?

If I understand well (and am not sure because I am not very good), in the article on fast 2gb ddr kits on anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2560) it seems to me that if I stay with pc3200 ddr400 memory, i would be better with 2x512 because even in the future, it would be better for me to use 4x512gb (as to get more speed i would have to spend more on pc4000 memory of something like that..)

So, with a possible upgrade in about 2 years, 1gb on 1 stick or 2x512 ?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
It's sad but true, you always want to have 2 sticks on a dual-channel memory controller, so when you upgrade to 2 gigs, it would be best (especially if you are going to overclock) to get 2x 1 gig sticks, which flies in the face of getting 2x 512 sticks. It's not an easy decision, but it's one only you can make. With that said, here is my suggestion if I were in your position.

Upgrade > 6 months from now, really strapped for cash
2x 512 then upgrade later to 2x 1024, either trade or give them to a friend, you aren't going to be able to sell them for too much

Upgrade < 6 months from now, really strapped for cash
1x 1024 then later the second 1024. Suffer a few months of just "good" performance.

Not really that strapped for cash, can subsist on noodles for a month
Just get the 2 sticks now.

Again, just my $.02, it's your decision to make.

Edit: I left out the 2x 512 then later a 1024 because usually that ends with dismal overclocking efforts. if it's OK to use stock bus frequency and lose a bit in terms of timing, this option is viable.

DetConan

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Upgrade < 6 months from now, really strapped for cash
1x 1024 then later the second 1024. Suffer a few months of just "good" performance.

Does the performance difference between 2x512 and 1gb is that significant ? Does it affect games performance ? Or is it very small difference ? Is there any articles on the net that could light my candle on this ?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Just search for something along the lines of "processor/chipset on your motherboard dual single channel benchmark", but here is a start. Essentially, what will happen with only one stick of memory is the effective bandwidth of the memory subsystem will be 1/2 that of a full dual-channel setup. How much effect that will have on you depends squarely on what system you have and what you do with your system. Gaming and memory-intensive applications on a dual-channel AMD system will suffer the most.