will AMD bury Intel ?

crimir

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I have now been buying AMD based systems almost exclusively for a couple of years now. Both my home systems and the systems I purchase for the company. Have yet to find flaws with there new systems. Yes the older ones had trouble with clocking and the such, but since the Xp chips came out no issues here. Though Intel will not die off completely (there are still a lot of AOHellian users out there that do not know the difference between a CPU and a System unit) they will continue to lose market share as large PC manufactures like HP continue to offer AMD in new systems. Intel is a frog in a pot of warm water on a stove now, they haven't realized over the last few years someone has cranked up the temp. And the water will soon start to boil. If they want to survive they need to drastically cut the costs to the end user. Myself cannot justify 20% more for a name that use to represent the class of the processor manufactures

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Did AMD pay you to post this? No, I am not an Intel nor AMD fanboy.

If they want to survive they need to drastically cut the costs to the end user.
That's not the only way they will survive, how do you know the Conroe will fail Intel again? You haven't notice Intel has a bigger captial than AMDs?

:twisted: Just watch, you just started the flame... its gonna burn soon :twisted:

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
What the hell are you talking about? Here's some advice for you:

Roll away the rock that's been trapping you in your cave for the last 3 months.

Intel is far from being "buried" by AMD right now. Have you heard of Conroe? Signs point to the Core 2 line as being the Intel godsend that regains the crown from AMD.

As for any one company completely destroying the other...

WHY would you want that? Monopolies are bad news for the consumer. (That's you and me, by the way.)

Also, this is probably the worst first post of any member of the forumz. You do realize that you're gonna get burnt, don't you?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I have now been buying AMD based systems almost exclusively for a couple of years now. Both my home systems and the systems I purchase for the company. Have yet to find flaws with there new systems. Yes the older ones had trouble with clocking and the such, but since the Xp chips came out no issues here. Though Intel will not die off completely (there are still a lot of AOHellian users out there that do not know the difference between a CPU and a System unit) they will continue to lose market share as large PC manufactures like HP continue to offer AMD in new systems. Intel is a frog in a pot of warm water on a stove now, they haven't realized over the last few years someone has cranked up the temp. And the water will soon start to boil. If they want to survive they need to drastically cut the costs to the end user. Myself cannot justify 20% more for a name that use to represent the class of the processor manufactures
You can't be serious.

Did AMD pay you to post this? No, I am not an Intel nor AMD fanboy.
Did Intel pay you to make that your avatar? :wink:

To be fair, the AMD desktop chips are more expensive than the Intel chips today (but a lot of that is Intel selling off old Pentium 4/D stock to make way for the Core 2.) AMD Turion notebooks are generally a little less expensive than Intel Pentium M/Core Solo + Duo, but I don't think the price difference is all in the CPU. I bet it is a combination of CPU, chipset, graphics, and NICs. Intel makes their money off of selling an all-in-one package (Centrino) for more than it would otherwise cost if you had NVIDIA, ATI, SIS, and VIA making chipsets, NVIDIA, ATI, and S3 doing graphics, and a whole host of people making NICs.

Intel's NetBurst chips certainly are furnaces, but the Pentium M and Core Solo + Duo aren't. They have a lower clock speed and better throttling than the P4/PD series do. So the thermal issues should be behind them unless they get back in the GHz war and can't keep shrinking dies. I think that would actually be more AMD's problem unless 65nm comes sooner rather than later.

Bad choice of topic...uh-oh, time to run...the mob with flaming torches is fast approaching!

Neither AMD or Intel are going any where...please, the desktop market is an oligopoly now let alone one burying the other...personally, I'd like to see another name in the game...whatever happened to the Cell Processor? That paired with HyperTransport would make for some amazing systems!

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I was just teasing you :lol:

Anyway this topic is not going anywhere. By the way, I would like to see what was his first post 8O

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Uhh, I seriously hope you aren't the IT coordinator for your company, and if you are, I feel for them, since you don't seem to have a clue of what is going on in the world, nor how this business works.

As for your Question, NOT A CHANCE, and I am one of the most unbiased people here.

Enjoy the flames buddy, because you just made yourself a " frog in a pot of warm water on a stove now", and you just cranked up the temperature on yourself.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
lol, amd burying intel... thats actually pretty funny...

no offence, but no matter how much amd tries to bury intel within the next couple of months, intels gonna eat it all up with conroe and spit it back right at them...

not saying im an intel fan boy or nething, but right now, intel's looking pretty well in doing their job

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Good arguement. You don't need facts or anything like that to argue your point. Well done.

Come on, Action Man! Why would anyone want to bog down the forumz with anything as irrelevant as substantiated facts? This is a place where anyone can come up with great topic title like "Will AMD bury Intel" and then commence to utilize such great analogies as "Intel is a frog in a pot of warm water on a stove." I mean, come on! Who wants to hear a bunch of statistical information or logical arguments when we have such pearls of wisdom falling like mana from Noob Heaven?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I agree with the poster! I think AMD will bury something!! :)

They will be burying the bodies of their dead when they start laying people off to still show profit for the next couple of quarters. (see, I can make unsubstantiated comments too) :)

OK now everyone join in!!

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
...Another useless thread.

I dont see why anyone would want the fall/demise of either company, dont you see that AMD & Intel make each other better. I agree with sdrawk & most anyone here, monopolies are bad news, ask Bill Gate$. :D

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hey, crimir. You've been strangely silent throughout this whole thread. That's not because you posted an inflammatory thread on purpose just to pi$$ people off, is it? Naaaahhh, of course not. What am I thinking?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
AMD burry Intel? LMAO, Intel has much better marketing. On TV, I never see AMD ads. So you tell me, will AMD burry Intel?

BTW, this is a stupid fanboy thread, why you post it anyway?

I saw some great AMD ads in the Newark Airport, something to the extent that switching to Opteron servers saved companies enough energy to toast every bagel in NYC or something like that. I though they were quite humorous.

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
LOL, yea I know what you mean.

But cmon, the only reason these two companies are at each others throats is because they keep exchanging blows, none of these two companies is going anywhere. And if they do, we'll pay dearly for it.