Wait or Upgrade??

I have owned my PC for 2 years now and it is a Intel 2.8 Ghz HT 800mhz FSB
512kb L2 Cache socket 478. I have 1GB DDRam and a Ge Force 6600GT Graphics
card..... now I basically am basically flying the LDS 767 + PMDG 747 +737
and most of the time have Active Sky 5 and Ultimate Traffic running at
around 80% traffic. At most airports my framerates are around about 10-16
fps and they drop in the VC to around 8 fps which I am finding difficult to
enjoy... I have the target set at 20fps.... my question is if I upgraded to
let say the Athlon 64 San Diego 4000 with new faster memory would I get a
good increase in fps lets say up to around 20... (ps my sliders are all in
the middle) or should I wait another six months to see if a new version is
going to appear of Flight sim that might utalise dual core chips.....

Any ideas most appreciated.........

Hamish

the P4 2.8 isnt too bad of a CPU really, and can, if your willing to "risk
it", be overclocked (id say the 3400range easy), allowing you a few more
months, if not years of performance ;)

the graphics card however is a problem really. It depends on how much you
got to spend, but a 6800gt or something even faster would be much better.
However the fastest cards are PCI-Express only, meaning you'd need to
upgrade your motherboard, which means you might as well upgrade your CPU
too!! and switch to AMD in the process...

i went from:

A64 3200 (1 x 2000mhz 512kb cache)
ATI9700pro
1024mb ram
Sliders at 2/3s, clouds at min fps 10-30

to a
A64 x2 4400 (2 x 2200mhz 1mb cache)
Nvidia 7800gtx
1024mb ram
sliders at max, clouds at 3/4s, fps 30-60

i doubled my FPS, and could move all sliders to max. ;-) That is almost all
down to the GFX card though, the CPU wouldnt have helped that hardly at all.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Hamish" <hamishdd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have owned my PC for 2 years now and it is a Intel 2.8 Ghz HT 800mhz FSB
>512kb L2 Cache socket 478. I have 1GB DDRam and a Ge Force 6600GT Graphics
>card..... now I basically am basically flying the LDS 767 + PMDG 747 +737
>and most of the time have Active Sky 5 and Ultimate Traffic running at
>around 80% traffic. At most airports my framerates are around about 10-16
>fps and they drop in the VC to around 8 fps which I am finding difficult to
>enjoy... I have the target set at 20fps.... my question is if I upgraded to
>let say the Athlon 64 San Diego 4000 with new faster memory would I get a
>good increase in fps lets say up to around 20... (ps my sliders are all in
>the middle) or should I wait another six months to see if a new version is
>going to appear of Flight sim that might utalise dual core chips.....
>
> Any ideas most appreciated.........
>
> Hamish

GREGORY

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:04:21 +0100, "Hamish" <hamishdd@tiscali.co.uk>
brought the following to our attention:

>I have owned my PC for 2 years now and it is a Intel 2.8 Ghz HT 800mhz FSB
>512kb L2 Cache socket 478. I have 1GB DDRam and a Ge Force 6600GT Graphics
>card..... now I basically am basically flying the LDS 767 + PMDG 747 +737
>and most of the time have Active Sky 5 and Ultimate Traffic running at
>around 80% traffic. At most airports my framerates are around about 10-16
>fps and they drop in the VC to around 8 fps which I am finding difficult to
>enjoy... I have the target set at 20fps.... my question is if I upgraded to
>let say the Athlon 64 San Diego 4000 with new faster memory would I get a
>good increase in fps lets say up to around 20... (ps my sliders are all in
>the middle) or should I wait another six months to see if a new version is
>going to appear of Flight sim that might utalise dual core chips.....
>
>Any ideas most appreciated.........
>
>Hamish

box it up and ship it over here.. and I'll be glad to test it for
you.. no charge!! :=]

-g

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> the P4 2.8 isnt too bad of a CPU really, and can, if your willing to "risk
> it", be overclocked (id say the 3400range easy), allowing you a few more
> months, if not years of performance ;)
>
> the graphics card however is a problem really. It depends on how much you
> got to spend, but a 6800gt or something even faster would be much better.
> However the fastest cards are PCI-Express only, meaning you'd need to
> upgrade your motherboard, which means you might as well upgrade your CPU
> too!! and switch to AMD in the process...
>
> i went from:
>
> A64 3200 (1 x 2000mhz 512kb cache)
> ATI9700pro
> 1024mb ram
> Sliders at 2/3s, clouds at min fps 10-30
>
> to a
> A64 x2 4400 (2 x 2200mhz 1mb cache)
> Nvidia 7800gtx
> 1024mb ram
> sliders at max, clouds at 3/4s, fps 30-60
>
> i doubled my FPS, and could move all sliders to max. ;-) That is almost
> all down to the GFX card though, the CPU wouldnt have helped that hardly
> at all.
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb

It all boils down to how much you want to spend. The new 7800GTX card is out
of reach of most of us , but is without a doubt the Fastest card at this
point in time. The new X2 processors while very quick , may not necessarily
be better than a good single core unit for Flightsim. . If and when
Microsoft release a 64bit , multithreaded version of Flightsim , these
processors ( X2) will really get things flying ( pardon the pun).

Buying a 939 MB will allow you to run any of the Athlon 64 bit processors ,
and PCIE is going to be the new mainstream format for video cards.

Tomorrow I will pick up my new box , AMD 3500+ (64 bit) , 1 GB 400 DDR ,
6600GT card and a Socket 939 MB. With a 500W power supply , total cost AU$
1700. I will let you all know what its like next week !!

Ross

> It all boils down to how much you want to spend. The new 7800GTX card is
> out of reach of most of us , but is without a doubt the Fastest card at
> this point in time.

it was out of reach for me, and im now feeling it (the credit card bill hit
the floor and fell through the floor boards)

> The new X2 processors while very quick , may not necessarily be better
> than a good single core unit for Flightsim. . If and when Microsoft
> release a 64bit , multithreaded version of Flightsim , these processors
> ( X2) will really get things flying ( pardon the pun).

Yeah the X2 itself isnt helping gaming, However it has greatly helped in
multitasking, and ANY pc does multitasking. Now, all my tasks are spread
between two CPU's instead of one, which has improved the average FPS in
almost all my games, since theres no stutter/pauses, while backround tasks
steal CPU power. The game takes 1 CPU, the OS the other..... Basicaly

> Buying a 939 MB will allow you to run any of the Athlon 64 bit processors
> , and PCIE is going to be the new mainstream format for video cards.

Yup, 939MB with PCIexpress is a must.

> Tomorrow I will pick up my new box , AMD 3500+ (64 bit) , 1 GB 400 DDR ,
> 6600GT card and a Socket 939 MB. With a 500W power supply , total cost AU$
> 1700. I will let you all know what its like next week !!
>
> Ross

Nice! although a 6600gt is alittle low range really :)

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

> Nice! although a 6600gt is alittle low range really :)
>

> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb

More midrange , but the choice was driven by price , I would have preferred
the 6800 , or an X850 , but as I am not paying for the system ,(gift from
the Minister for War) I'm still pretty happy about it !! I will now be able
to install FS9 , and see what all the excitement is about !!

Only 2 sleeps to go !!

Ross

a 6600gt is about equal to a 9800pro, which is 3 years old and only costs

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

Machine is built , now has the XP4000+ and X800 card . Few dramas setting up
the SATA thing , but should be OK by tomorrow .

Ross