change CPU = re-install windows XP Media Center?

Daconiam

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
If I swapped my AMD CPUs in my computer would it require re-installing Windows because of the hardware change?

Thanks,

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
in theory yes, but for major changes in h/w a reinstall is always recommended (and something can always go wrong when installing hardware, forceing you to reinstall anyways)

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
in theory yes, but for major changes in h/w a reinstall is always recommended (and something can always go wrong when installing hardware, forceing you to reinstall anyways)

For Windows consideration, a new CPU isn't a major hardware change. Motherboard with all its various drivers and such would be. Just do the Proc Swap.

Note that if going from single core to dual core, you may need to perform a few other tweaks, driver, registry, BIOS update & whatnot and yes, a reactivation of Windows may be necessary but you should not need to do a reinstall.

Daconiam

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thanks for the info. My plan is to build a second computer using the AMD CPU from my HP Pavilion and replacing it with a 3000+. Using the case from an old Intel computer over to an AMD system.

TRENDING THREADS