Sign in with
Your question

Migrate from RAID 0 or 1 to RAID 10?

Last response: in Storage
May 22, 2006 11:45:12 PM

I'm in the process of building a pc with a 2 SATA2 disk RAID array. I do a lot of graphic design and play the occasional game but I need also the "safety" of mirred drives so as not to lose my graphics files. I'm wavering between RAID 0 and RAID 1 but I think my final goal - when my bank account recovers! - is a 4 disk RAID 10. The "best of both worlds" as it were(?). If I started off with either of these 2 disk formats, which is easiest to migrate/upgrade to RAID 10? Or will I just have to start from scratch with all 4 drives?

Thanks!

More about : migrate raid raid

May 25, 2006 5:11:57 PM

Quote:
I'm in the process of building a pc with a 2 SATA2 disk RAID array. I do a lot of graphic design and play the occasional game but I need also the "safety" of mirred drives so as not to lose my graphics files. I'm wavering between RAID 0 and RAID 1 but I think my final goal - when my bank account recovers! - is a 4 disk RAID 10. The "best of both worlds" as it were(?). If I started off with either of these 2 disk formats, which is easiest to migrate/upgrade to RAID 10? Or will I just have to start from scratch with all 4 drives?

Thanks!

It is possible to migrate a RAID, but it requires an external RAID card, as there are no Internal RAID's that support RAID 10 or 0+1 and none support RAID migrating. Look into SiI or FastTrackR RAID Controllers on PCI (I assume you have a regular motherboard) and you should be able to find some farily decently priced.
a c 371 G Storage
May 25, 2006 6:02:37 PM

NVRaid allows you to morph from a raid 0 to a raid 1 or 0+1, but not a raid 10.

Details on page 64 of the media shield users guide.
May 25, 2006 6:17:58 PM

Quote:
NVRaid allows you to morph from a raid 0 to a raid 1 or 0+1, but not a raid 10.

Details on page 64 of the media shield users guide.

Thank you for posting that, I stand corrected. I wasn't thinking about NVRaid, and I knew alot of Internal RAID's supported 0+1, but wasn't sure if they supported migration.
!