Wireless WiFi ATA

Folks,

Are there WiFi ATA adapters out there?

We have an entirely WiFi office - no wired Ethernet.
Would like to hookup our desktop analog telephones
to a VoIP service provider.

Our other alternative would be to use a USB ATA
with the laptop providing the WiFi connectivity but
this needs driver support on the laptop. Any ATA product
recommendations in this area?

Thanks. I made this post before but did not see it in the
newsgroup. My apologies if you had responded before.

Thanks.

Christopher Flores
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless wifi
  1. Archived from groups: poster,comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Christopher Flores wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > Are there WiFi ATA adapters out there?
    >
    > We have an entirely WiFi office - no wired Ethernet.
    > Would like to hookup our desktop analog telephones
    > to a VoIP service provider.
    >
    > Our other alternative would be to use a USB ATA
    > with the laptop providing the WiFi connectivity but
    > this needs driver support on the laptop. Any ATA product
    > recommendations in this area?

    Christopher, do you expect VoIP to work like WiFi? Are
    you familiar with QoS issues? It sounds to me like you
    and a lot of others may be leaping in without looking. - RM

    I did reply to your post on 6th January:
    "Don't think there are any, but you can get wifi VoIP phones like Zyxel
    2000W, Sipura (and Cisco -very expensive).
    You can take them with you and use anywhere you can connect via wifi."

    To RM:
    My VoIP works just fine over wifi, but that's in domestic situation.
    There are wifi routers with QoS, like Draytek Vigor 2600G or 2600VG,
    which are presumably designed to deal with an office VoIP scenario.

    Regards,
    Martin

    "Martin²" <never@give.one> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >I did reply to your post on 6th January:
    > "Don't think there are any, but you can get wifi VoIP phones like Zyxel
    > 2000W, Sipura (and Cisco -very expensive).
    > You can take them with you and use anywhere you can connect via wifi."
    >
    > To RM:
    > My VoIP works just fine over wifi, but that's in domestic situation.
    > There are wifi routers with QoS, like Draytek Vigor 2600G or 2600VG,
    > which are presumably designed to deal with an office VoIP scenario.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    what is the "QoS" and which is the difference for the voip use of a Netgear
    DG834G
    and this new Draytek router?
    with this router can I have a better quality of voip?

    thanks

    vopa:
    >what is the "QoS" and
    It stands for 'Quality of Service', but means that VoIP traffic gets
    preference over data.

    >which is the difference for the voip use of a Netgear DG834G
    It should prevent the gaps in sound while you downloading data.

    >and this new Draytek router?
    >with this router can I have a better quality of voip?

    The 2600G has been on the market just over a year, the 2500V (one VoIP port)
    and 2600GV (with two VoIP ports) are fairly new.
    Draytek's are designed for office use, have all the facilities, very robust,
    but also more expensive.

    BTW I had bad experience with Netgear kit and their non existent support,
    won't touch them with a barge pole.
    Regards,
    Martin
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "Christopher Flores" <chrisf@sbcglobal.net> writes:

    >Are there WiFi ATA adapters out there?

    A Sipura SPA-2000 plus a Linksys WRT54G(S) comes close. Sure,
    there are some extra wires but it works.

    I used some nodes like that for a simple experiment.
    http://lairds.us/temp/ABE590/report.pdf

    --kyler

VPN Wireless Laptops WiFi Networking