Sign in with
Your question

Harddrive and virus help

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2006 2:13:43 AM

Hey guys I hope you can help me. I brought up the Microsoft explorer browser yesterday and my MicroTrend Anti-virus screen popped up saying that it could not quarantine a virus that I just recieved.
So I rebooted into safe-mode and did a scan with "Spy Bot Search and Destroy" and also "Ad-Ware". I did this several times; and then rebooted into regular mode. My computer is still really slow, here are the things I noticed:

1) Micro-Trend Anti Virus icon on my tool bar keeps on saying "Scanning out going mail"

2) When I go into "Window Task Manager" my CPU usage is 100% and I dont have any applications on. Also it says "tmproxy.exe" is using 98% of my CPU, in the Processes section.

I really messed up guys!! THis is my first build and I kinda ran out of patience. So I tried to reformat this harddrive by putting the Windows XP disc in the CD drive and restart it.
A menu came up and I clicked on "install windows", I figured it would erase this harddrive before reinstalling it again. I guess it installed it and the computer rebooted. However, during rebooting a blue screen came up and said something about the computer can't continue because it might cause damage and also it says there is a virus in the harddrive.
How can I get rid of this virus if I can't even go into windows. Is this a way to maually erase the harddrive?

This is my first time and I thought I knew what I was doing but I didnt.....please help!!

ok here it goes.....

1) Computer is booting up, AMD logo appears, a black screen appears and it shows a list of sequences, it always did that when the computer worked.
2)Then it gives me options to go into "Safe Mode", "Start Normally" and other options. If I pick one of them, a blue screen appears and says:

To prevent damage, the computer will not run any further. Check for viruses, remove newly installed harddrives or hard drive controllers. Check hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart.

Technical Info:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF789E640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

More about : harddrive virus

May 27, 2006 12:55:05 PM

I would suggest two things 1.do the fdisk/mbr[rewrites master boot record]..
2.Then fdisk and reformat your hdd [active partition only]usually C,unless of course your hdd is not partitioned ???....Be well..
Related resources
June 3, 2006 7:44:07 AM

You can't do that. You have to boot off the CD if you want to do a clean install, you have to choose the correct options durring the prompts that follow to get a clean instal and format the drive.
December 25, 2008 4:08:08 AM

Though this post is really old, I'm currently having a similar issue - booting from the windows CD and doing a full format doesn't seem to help...perhaps a more powerful format is needed.
January 21, 2010 5:21:13 PM

i have the same problem, right now im formating the hdd ill tell u later if the OS start or showme the same error
January 23, 2010 9:37:49 PM

you gotta start over. wipe the lot your os is screwed
!