Would the 7600GT be good for this? Multi media and games

dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am going to build a new pc. I will be useing it for mainly as a PC media center(watching movies and playing music). I am also a casual gamer for games like Unreal and I also like fancy screen savers. I guess getting the best picture quality for the TV out signal is most important(although I just have a regular TV...no LCD or HDTV) since I will be watching my movies off of it. Would the 7600GT be a good choice or is there an ATI equilavent that would be better?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
What if the x1800gto had the same clock and mem speeds as the 7600gt? Cause now they trade blows.
:idea: Well it would be better then.

For the media quality of the Ati cards would be my reason to go Ati, even if it was slower in gameplay.
Anything above the X1800GTO is better again.
X1900GT :D

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Ok say that after a pixel has been processed in the gpu can it beat split up into quarters before leaving the gpu and be reprocessed into one pixel before it reaches the cpu?

cleeve

Illustrious
You can only process 'per pixel' you can't process a part of a pixel.

A single pixel can require more than one texture or shaders though. If there are too many calculations for the pipeline, a single pixel may require more than one 'pass' through the pipeline.

cleeve

Illustrious
The X1900 doesn't exactly fit into the '16 pipeline' category per se, but people like to call it that (myself included).

Traditionally, a 'pipeline' referred to a pixel processor (shader unit) that was 'attached' to a single TMU (texture management unit)

In Ati's X1x00 series, pixel processors (shaders) are 'detached' from the TMU, which offers more flexibility.

So an X1900 is not really a '48 pipeline' or '16 pipeline' card. But people call it 16-pipeline based on it's TMUs, and because it performs approximately closer to a traditional 16-pipeline architecure than a 48-pipeine one.

Similarly, the X1600 has 12 Shader units, and 4 TMUs. People have called it a 12-pipeline and 4-pipeline architecture.

dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yeah...in all the reviews I have read the ATI does beat Nvidia in Video output. But let me ask this... I have an Xbox which graphics hardware is by Nvidia. When I watch movies on it the video quality is awsome and I love it. The Nvidia graphics hardware in the Xbox is also being used when watching movies, right?