Conroe, AMD FX-62 comparo

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
"It's abundantly clear that Conroe will be the fastest CPU in town when it hits in a few weeks' time. It pulverises all present CPUs in the majority of CPU-based benchmarks." That settles it.

namralaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
damn I just hope all this hype dosent drive the price higher than originally planned, anyone know the planned price ranges for the UK

endyen

Splendid
Before you go salivating, and selebrating, check out the setups. To start with, if you really want to destroy performance, choose a foxconn mobo.
It does seem that the conroe wins those Intel approved benchmarks ( I guess that's the price you pay, for being aloud to show conroe numbers). It looks as though it is as much better than the FX, as the FX is the EE.
Not that it really matters. The FX is the clear winner of chips that have actually been released.

endyen

Splendid
As far as it goes, mobo, ram sticks. timings, could easily add up to more than 10%. Choice of benchmarks seem conroe scued.
The only bench that is out of place is the fartcry. I wonder what scenes they are using?

endyen

Splendid
And they all seem fine
True, if your perspective is pro conroe. As to a fair review, not this one.
No individual who knows anything about computers would run an A64 at T2, use 4 sticks of ram , or use those timings. As to foxconn mobos, well, they just dont work worth beans.
Since they dont say what half the benchmarks actually are, it is tough to prove or disprove, or even accept them at all.
Since the ones they do name were Intel floptimized, they dont count either.
I'm not saying that conroe wont end up winning the crown. It just looks a whole lot tighter than what you Intel fanboys are saying. Pity really. I had hoped that Intel would force the full monty onto K8L. The way it looks, AMD will cut back features by 1/2 and still regain the lead easily.
We waited three years for this? Pity!!

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Before you go salivating, and selebrating, check out the setups. To start with, if you really want to destroy performance, choose a foxconn mobo.
It does seem that the conroe wins those Intel approved benchmarks ( I guess that's the price you pay, for being aloud to show conroe numbers). It looks as though it is as much better than the FX, as the FX is the EE.
Not that it really matters. The FX is the clear winner of chips that have actually been released.
^^^ lol, the definition of burying your head in the sand.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
And they all seem fine
True, if your perspective is pro conroe. As to a fair review, not this one.
No individual who knows anything about computers would run an A64 at T2, use 4 sticks of ram , or use those timings. As to foxconn mobos, well, they just dont work worth beans.
Since they dont say what half the benchmarks actually are, it is tough to prove or disprove, or even accept them at all.
Since the ones they do name were Intel floptimized, they dont count either.
I'm not saying that conroe wont end up winning the crown. It just looks a whole lot tighter than what you Intel fanboys are saying. Pity really. I had hoped that Intel would force the full monty onto K8L. The way it looks, AMD will cut back features by 1/2 and still regain the lead easily.
We waited three years for this? Pity!! It must be a vast conspiracy, every review site is out to get AMD and you so they set up "unfair," tests. Really, take a step back and look at the entire picture. Everytime FX-62 or whatever it may be gets bested by Conroe (whcich is VERY often, by MANY review sites), all I here is complaints about unfair tests. I'm sick of it. I'm not an Intel fanboy (though I have had good experiences with them), but everyone on the AMD side of the block seems incredulous toward all Conroe vs. AM2 tests where Conroe wins (again, often). My take on this is that Conroe will be the upon release and shortly thereafter AMD will have an answer. At least they better, if they don't want to suffer falling stock.

AmaruK

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
you can twist the numbers all you want
the less costly intel cpus will beat the outrageously high fx anything
simple, point blank, cold truth
o, and i'm a performance fanboi who loves amd

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004

And thats going to make a huge difference. :roll:

I'm not saying that conroe wont end up winning the crown. It just looks a whole lot tighter than what you Intel fanboys are saying.

If I'm an Intel fanboy, then you're one hardcore AMD fanboy.

namralaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
i've been an amd fanboy for ages and i dont mind that conroe is kicking fx-62's ass, hell tht means that the prices for all the existing s939 chips should (hopefully) go down to dirt cheap and it wil push amd hard to bring out sme chips (k8l? k10?) which can beat conroe resulting in another price war which is ultimately best for the consumer irrespective of whether you love amd or intel! :D:D

endyen

Splendid
When I first saw the conroe numbers, I invested $2000 in intel. I thought I would be able to buy a very nice conroe system at release.
At this point, I'm down the price of a conroe chip.
Maybe those analists who say Intel is going nowhere are unaware.
Then again, they buy thier daily bread from being right.

endyen

Splendid
Did you notice this line in the review?
A little bird also tells us that the Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition may well debut with a 3GHz clockspeed. Just imagine that. Gentlemen and ladies, start your salivating.
Is that like faster than 3.3ghz?

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
:lol: Did I ever say it was going to be 3.3ghz? You should read the first page ofthe sticky thread about conroe. :wink:

Its also funny that you believe nothing about it expect for that one part. :wink:

endyen

Splendid
Since you mentioned that I would be upset by a conroe EE @ 3.3 ghz, in one of your posts, I thought I might point out that I'm not upset.
I even believe that the conroe 3ghz EE will wear the crown well.
(Oh no, I'm starting to believe!!!)

endyen

Splendid
If I'm an Intel fanboy, then you're one hardcore AMD fanboy.
The difference is, if core2 wins, I will be buying a conroe chip. If it looses, will you buy AMD? For most of the Intel croud, they will just sulk away.
Here's a hard reality for you. Today the FX62 wins the crown.
It says little for people to claim that in the future that will change.
Trying to steal AMD's glory today takes a rather....

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
The difference is, if core2 wins, I will be buying a conroe chip. If it looses, will you buy AMD?

The question should be, will I continue to buy AMD? And yes, yes I would.

Here's a hard reality for you. Today the FX62 wins the crown.
It says little for people to claim that in the future that will change.
Trying to steal AMD's glory today takes a rather....

*opens his wallet and lays down $1000 us* Oh wait I don't have that sort of money.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
About the only thing I have to add to this mess is that while Foxcon might not be the best AMD mobo Intel mobo's are not the best Intel mobo's... Just a little food for thought :) I can hardly wait for Conroe to come out and show us what its got !!! AM2 is here and looks tasty so Conroe should be downright drool worthy if it lives up to the hype ! Party on !!!

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
AMD seems to be fallen behind intel in every benchmark by a large margin, even the low end conroe is faster and cheaper than FX-62, not a good news for amd fans.

if K8L must perform better and cheaper than conroe if AMD want to regain its market share that it bound to lost to intel this year end or even summer. and AMD have to release it earlier.a later date release will mean more

the result shown by conroe is simply amazing no doubt.i will wait till next year Q1 when K8L comes out to determine what should i upgrade.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
One thing I notice on the benchmark, is the low memory latency scores. Memory disambiguation may have helped a lot here....

Intel mobo's are not the best Intel mobo's...

They are if you don't care about 100% overclocking and extra 2% performance. The latest Intel motherboards allow you to overclock by 30% and have voltage adjustments on MCH, CPU, RAM etc.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Actually I was thinking the Core2 setup probably want optimal, on the intel branded board.

Compare the memory bandwidth of the two Conroe's, V the P4EE, Both processors running on a quad pumped 1066mhz FSB, with the same rated DDR2 memory, at the same speeds, yet the P4's got a good margin over the Conroe.

So the Conroe is performing really well dispite an apparent shortcoming in its memory bandwidth.

I guess if its due to the processor, intel will probably be able to get a bit more out of it in a later stepping, as the FSB should be able to peak at 8500 at 1066. Or maybe the Asus board is better than the 'stock' intel board they used in the test.

And they ran their Quake and Splintercell tests at high res, with aa/af, judging by the results, they were GPU limited, to show off the CPU they should rerun the tests at 1024x768, or with SLI or Crossfire graphics solutions.

The Farcry bench was 1024x768, and it thrashed the FX2, because at that low resolution the game is clearly CPU limited.

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
this may seem a little dumb but why was the Intel Conroe System running only 1 gig of 3-2-2-8 2T @ 667MHz and the FX-62 AM2 system running 2 gig of 4-3-3-8 2T @ 800MHz?
why not the same?
or at least both 2 gig?
it would make a the gap even bigger, wouldn't it?